Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: |[CLAYMAKER]| Chapter 2 -89%

Ahhh thank you for the crits. Really. But you are right again. My weakest point is backgrounds If anyone has any tutorials i can use, i would appreciate it. It seems too daunting to make up my own building style... OTL I CANT EVEN FATHOM IT.

(EDIT: 3 pages added)

This...is...amazing O:
    and really inspiring!

I don't know much about backgrounds...but what I learned from some higher ups regarding making detailed backgrounds quick and easy is that you could draw a detailed item and duplicate smart object and resize it...repeat this as many times as you need until you get a detailed background. Well that works for duplicable objects such as foliage, soldiers, tanks, etc. However for other terrain like mountains, try using stock images or textures to fill the blank spaces. For architecture, I don't think there's no way around that but to research on them. You see a lot of building structure designs from concept works so I guess there's no way around it D: I usually make use of darkness as a cheap shot on backgrounds of interior but your story is not gloomy to permit use of that method :P

Nonetheless, this is really good *^*

Well you have them in American Indian patternish clothing so how about American Indian patternish buildings. You don't have to make up a completely brand new one but mix and much from from buildings of the past and present to get a new style.

Peteman

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I don't see why you have a problem with backgrounds. The first 2 pages of chapter 1 are gorgeous. Though, they (the mountains anyway) do seem to deteriorate afterwards.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Yeah... the first page has a good bg but then the rocky surfaces aren't as good as the first page. I'm bad with shading rocky surfaces too.

You should start updating every chapter instead of every three pages.

I have to constantly read the whole chapter over to just refresh myself

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I sort of agree with Joosh. Unless, of course, the segmented updates keep you better motivated ...
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Hey, Rei, have you seen Fox-orian's tutorials on screentoning digitally? If you know how to digitally paint in greyscale, you can easily convert it into something interesting for your manga. --> (also useful) <--

C: Simple, interesting, and very applicable stuff! I think it would make whatever work you do fantastic! But I know you're so far in that it would be a total pain in the butt to tone everything you've already blocked in. :<
    Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 11-14-2011 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks Seef that really helped me a lot!, I know that's for Rei though OTL

Rei, your "killing off a character in the first chap doesn't really work the way you did it. Characters die all the time in manga, but since you don't know Leland very well, it isn't quite as sad as you probably should have made it. I made the same mistake with my first manga (just for fun, never got past the first few pages.)