Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question! - Steps to Making Manga

101 Dalmations Member

Question! - Steps to Making Manga

Which is better? Writing the story and then draw the story or Draw the story with imagination.

I guess it really depends on what you want the story to be about, and how long you think the story will be. Its all about preference, some people enjoy writing the story, and then having their characters 'act it out', while others just go with the flow of things.
    For me, it is easier to just 'go with the flow', if I know my story will be short. Plus, I feel like it gives you more freedom to have your characters do other things in the story, rather than just sticking to a script.

It depends on where your strengths are. I personally recommend using a storyboard then fleshing out your storyboards with your own imagination, but you can do whatever suits you fancy.

It is really your preference. I like to plan out the specifics in stories before I draw them, simply because when you are in the process of drawing, your imagination may go crazy then you find yourself doing something that wasn't originally planned. :> If you have a basic outline with some basic character development, you will find that even with those spurts of " crazy imagination," you will still be on a path to completing your story/comic/manga/art.

Teen Member
    I'll throw in my two cents too.

My suggestion - if the story is gonna be long, do a script. It doesn't have to be a novel, you'll be the only person who'll read the script after all.

If the story's gonna be short, or even one-shot, I'd still suggest writing it all out, but it isn't all that necessary.

I'll show you one danger of not doing a script. Imagine you're drawing a comic/manga/whatever and you decide that one of the characters will suddenly flip a switch on the wall. Guess what, he can't do that, because there was no switch on that wall several pages earlier when you drawn it! Oops!

Making a script more or less prevents you from walking into traps like this, since you'll have anything planned.

101 Dalmations Member
    But i want my story to become a manga like Kishimoto and Akira Toriyama...Should i still work with my imagination?

If you want to work as you go along, that is fine. Both sides have their pros and cons, it just depends on how you get through the cons. I remember doing a short animation for school and I thought it would be best to work from my imagination directly onto paper. I found it difficult, because I had so many ideas with no structure. So I am the kind of guy that need to have structure. Akira supposedly draw straight from his imagination and he have one of the most well-known manga/anime: Dragon Ball. You should try to work from your imagination, and if you find that it is becoming a bit difficult to organize everything, start creating a basic outline. You don't have to write a full out story! Too much structure can cause your manga to be boring and less dynamic. Just writing little points like "Character A is a superstar" or "In chapter 4, Character B gets this power" allows you to still be dynamic with your imagination without getting off track.

101 Dalmations Member
    I'm starting to understand a little bit. I kinda get it now. But what about Kishimoto did he do the same thing as Akira? So it is best to use your imagination? What i do is just write the story...i stop at chapter 15 but i started over because new ideas just pops at me.

I am not sure about Kishimoto. I may have to look into that. I am saying that the usage of either method depends on you. What you should do is brainstorm all you want to have in the story then find a way to incorporate those things into your manga.

Edit: Check this website out: http://www.kabukiyasha.net/tutorials.php?tutorialid=6

I know there is a tutorial on this website (mangatutorials) but since the change up, I don't know where to find it. That website should provide some insight on how to structure things.

101 Dalmations Member
    thanks..i really appreciate it