Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to practice

I'm Not a Spammer!

How to practice

I know that there were several threads covering this subject but I hope you can share some extra thoughts. As title says, my question is, how to practice? Let's say I'm total beginner(because I am) and I've collected some drawing manga books. Should I practice copying someone's works? Should I spend two hours drawing per day? Should I practice all things(like drawing faces in various angles, drawing various poses of body, drawing eyes, hair styles etc.) at the same time? Maybe should I practice one thing in one day and next day another thing? Should I draw things from imagination or use references as many as possible? I don't know if it's a good idea to blindly follow a drawing book, because every book lacks something. And the question is how to use a material included in the book. Hope you understand what I meant by question "how to practice".

some beginners get lost in this "routine" that you must do everything in a certain way.
    in terms of designing as long as you have a basic understanding of the illusions created on paper that should be a great starting point.
    for example do you understand that things in the background appear smaller than things in the foreground?
    do you understand general perspective stuff. even though it is on 2d paper you can create 3 dimensional objects.( start with a simple cube or sphere) also when you move 1 thing it will affect something else . if you move your arm up what muscles also go up besides the muscles on the arm? ( answer: muscles on the chest will also be stretched)

there is 2 ways to get better at drawing.

1. to practice hand eye( and brain) coordination
    ( are you making smooth lines like you want? and you creating the type of shape you want? can you mentally measure things?)
    2. to observe and understand the illusion of drawing to create these 3d forms on 2d, techniques to convey emotion( how to change the face or body to represent different things), and styles that communicate a certain feeling to your viewer( is it cute? is it strong? is it scary?)

either way it takes time.
    there are also things I call "secret tricks" that more advanced artists understand which allow them to short cut into creating certain illusions. ( maybe it takes you a few hours to do something a more advanced artist can do in a few minutes with a certain short cut technique

these "secret techniques" are what help you get past certain types of art blocks and will help you advance in art if you feel like your progression is slowing down. on the other hand sometimes even after learning these secret techniques you are not able to utilize them because your foundation is not strong enough, in which case you have to try to improve those foundations and improve your understanding of design before you try out the technique again.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by apples13; 06-14-2011 at 11:54 PM.

just do it how you want...
    this thread will just probably confuse you...
    you will see tons of different opinions.. >.<
    Last edited by ram; 06-14-2011 at 08:28 PM.

Fenn

It depends on your motives

Why do you want to be an artist? That's the first question that should be on your mind. If it's for leisure, don't worry, just draw in the way you find most enjoyable. If it's for profession, do lots of research and reading, take art classes, and talk to experts (of which I am not).

Apples had good suggestions for the determined artist.

well if there's one thing i learned from my way of trying to improve... it's better to improve doing places first.. >.<
    i haven't drawn any places all my life so now I'm doing the best i can just to master all those things..
    i just learned that a human body is just one piece of material. so drawing objects would benefit your improvement on drawing the human body... >.<

once you learn how to design the human body and it's accessories the other things will come easily.
    although we give the human character life through emotions and such in the design at its core it is still built with fundamental shapes and still follow fundamental perspective. learning the other things becomes a piece of cake once you master one thing.

Apples, I love your explanations. I don't think anyone could have put that better.

I'm Not a Spammer!
    Thanks for you useful advices, guys! I have two more questions. First about practicing hand-eye coordination. Is it good to copy works to develop this skill? And the second one, do you know good books about perspective, especially placing figures in perspective? I've ran through some tutorials, but I'm still confused. Thanks, again!
    Last edited by johan; 06-16-2011 at 06:54 AM.

For exercises you should try Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson. For perspective resources you should read Perspective Without Pain by Phil Metzger.

Copying is good but you shouldn't focus only on copying. If you want a quick overview of what exercises you should do but don't want to buy above books, just Google "drawing exercises."

man hamachi your so RICH DUDE! recomending books to buy..

first you should read the massive online tutorial list.. about pespective stuffs..
    rio posted some stuffs there that could help you
    http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/...als-List-v.3.0
    then you should research on your own... and try what hamachi recomended