Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Programming Thread

The Programming Thread

So I figured there's probably other programmers in a nerdy community like this and opened this thread for discussion of programming and other computer stuff.

Atm I'm trying to learn OpenGL in C++ (not Visual Studio), since I need more power and 3D capabilities. I'm also trying to learn the Windows API, mostly to assist with game programming.

At the same time there's a project I have in mind that creates random bitmap files and then gets people online to judge them. After that it applies 'breeding' algorithms to the top ten to produce the next generation of bitmaps in an attempt to create a good-looking picture. I could do this simply by 'evolving' the raw bitmaps or by creating an evolving algorithm for creating those bitmaps, each of which has advantages and disadvantages.

I also want to learn how to write and send HTTP packets. Don't even ask why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

The bitmap thing sounds cool. I dunno how you'd do that though. I pretty much forget everything I learned about programming.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    The bitmap thing sounds cool. I dunno how you'd do that though. I pretty much forget everything I learned about programming.
    lol I'm pretty much on the same boat. Though, since I work on this site most of the time, I at least remember web related coding.

@ Del
    So basically that bitmap will be randomly-generated pixels? I think it would be better if there was some kind of restriction like symmetry, uniformity, and maybe even throw in the rules of the color theory in there if it'll be color based.

Bitmap idea sounds cool. I'd use a PHP/MySQL setup - you can use the GD image library to actually draw the bitmaps to show the users and just store some representation of them in MySQL.

The hard part with genetic algorithms is that it can't be completely random - usually you have to come up with some sort of deterministic way to create a specific 'generation' that hinges on a bunch of gene variables. Might be a pain in the ass for something as complex as a bitmap.

I'm taking computer design in school next year. I was wondering what are the basics? I know there is HTML v5 and CSS but that's about it.

Well HTML and CSS pretty much ARE the basics for the design elements of a webpage. I mean, there can be scripting elements too, and those are slightly different but (imo) much more interesting. Really it depends what you're doing what the 'basics' are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

AFAIK there's no Visual Studio language. It's an IDE, not an API (like Win32).

Also good luck on designing the genetic algorithms for the bitmap generator. It should be possible, but it sure won't be easy.
    Last edited by Lucifer; 06-10-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Yay - A programmers thread

I concider myself an IT nerd, guru...
    I'm actually a engineer (Electronic). But I mostly code and very rarely do hardware design. I've being coding for the past 13 years (I'm 24 now).

Nice idea with the random bitmap - but the algorithm would be too complicated in my opinion.

I'm writting a 3D game creation software for past few years. I've started the project from the ground several times now. I hope I've got the correct design now. It's going prety well so far. I'll release a new version very soon and probably start some cheap advertising compaing on Google.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Goodluck. Go for it, you could end up going down the whole Mark Overmars path or something.

Since you mentioned Mark Overmars. Actually his Game Maker - ver 1,2 and 3 got me very very inspired and ever since I tried his software - I aways wanted to make my own game making software. Even more - first versions of Game Maker were made with Delphi - a language that I really admire. And they were so simple and yet so functional.