Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is art?

I'd argue there are two dimensions to art: the aesthetic (how attractive the piece is) and the intellectual (the subtext, what the symbols represent, et cetera). Now, in my opinion, the aesthetic and the intellectual dimensions of a piece should be given equal consideration because they both form an important part of the viewing experience. For example, a piece created solely as advertising for a video game is unlikely to be labelled a work of art in and of itself, no matter its beauty; it lacks the intellectual dimension and focuses purely on the aesthetic. On the other hand, a work of abstract art could be considered to be aesthetically dull and yet have a great weight of intellectual thought underpinning its layout and selection of elements. Personally, I think both the aesthetic and the intellectual dimensions require work, and so I would volunteer the works of the Old Masters as the greatest works ever created.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Well, Delphinus. I would argue that a lot of modern artwork displays the same level of "artists' intuition" and ingenuity that a lot of the old masters' work did. If you check out people like Craig Mullins and Tinfoil, it's apparent that they have extreme amounts of knowledge in all the technical, presentational and compositional aspects of art. It's just that we're less inclined to notice these things because their artwork, in application (ie. games, advertisements), is not presented in a way that would make us think about it. They're presented in a non-intellectual way, therefore not inspiring people to take an intellectual approach to them. Whereas a nicely framed oil painting at the far end of a high-end art exhibit drowned in spotlights basically begs for you to stand in front of it and stare.

Whereas both, aesthetically and intellectually, are equal, the way modern artwork is presented as opposed to classical artwork doesn't really beg an intellectual approach to it, therefore is seemingly shallow in comparison.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Art is something that you think looks cool/amazing. There's a simple explanation that solves all.

Let me point out that I am not participating in this thread because Im am smarter than that.

But the poster above me seriously thinks you can sum up centuries of arguments with one sentence.

What're you blackmage or something?

Isn't art in the eye of the beholder though bro?
    You look at a giant ball of scrap and say it's scrap.
    Someone else sees it as this awesome work of art.

So uh...yea man, it's something you think looks cool. Then again, I could be/am wrong and would offer up a paragraph of what my opinion is...but I'm too lazy for that. So I give this instead.

I hate getting too deep into the stuff.

*edit: Disregard what I have said...Davinci is looking down on me in shame now. xD.
    Last edited by GunZet; 01-21-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Let me point out that I am not participating in this thread because Im am smarter than that.
    It's not supposed to be a controversial topic. There is literally nothing on the line.

I don't understand what you are getting at.

I think he meant each person's view on this subject is their own. Because art is something entirely different for every individual, there is no right and wrong answer...did I do it right?

If that is the case that is what precisely makes this sort of discussion so ho-hum. But if its not then everything is on the line and fenn is wrong!

But continue guys Im glad you are talking about art.
    Last edited by jubeh; 01-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Like I said, diving straight into the "what is art?" question is pointless as everyone arrives to the same conclusion. The first thing we have to establish is "what is an artist?"

I say that because I know most of your answers to that question are going to contradict the general consensus in this thread that art is anything and everything. The classification of "artist" entails that there are people who are entitled to make art, or people whose work can be regarded as art, as opposed to "non artist", right? Or am I missing something here?