Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is art?

art for me is beauty. And beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. What means that is different for all of us i guess D:
    Beauty for me differs all the time from emotion knowledge stuff like that >_>

What i think important is what art is for YOU and describe how you experience it.

if u point at it and say its art then it is art now

cake u r a work of art

/

Fenn
    Such profound thoughts, Cake.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    This is kind of a tough one. Art is anything someone appreciates as art, though, really. It's more about viewer appreciation than the piece itself.

PERSONALLY, Art for me lies in being self expressive, but is also based on some degree of skill. I don't think something that is done without a decent amount of practice, effort and subsequent ability can be considered art as it hasn't been honed in any way. It's just stuff that anyone can make. Not including skill as a criterion when defining art would make every layman an artist, and defeat the purpose of having the title of "artist" altogether.

Actually, art is a paradox. Art is different to every single viewer. Ever heard of abstract art? It challenges people into finding new views of art. Now when you apply this to real life, you get a paradox. So what you just asked me is art - every person has different views of art, and you did a pretty good job of showing that.

Art, to me, is self-exploration an self-expression; a progressing work of art is like a pilgrimage -- a pilgrimage to the inner gates of oneself.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I guess a more pertinent question would be: "What is an artist?"

Because obviously there are people who are artists, and people who aren't, right? If it's as entirely subjective as we'd like to think, there would be no difference but we definitely define the two separately, even subconsciously.

Art is what moves the watcher.

The question is more complex than just thinking "What is art" in general, because art has not only has different meanings for the people who appreciate it, but also for the "artist".

For my as a appreciater is what moves me inside, what make me discuss something (technique, concept, theory, emotion, etcetera). But as a "artist" is a challenge, is making a medium of worked symbols to be appreciated.