Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is art?

Quote Originally Posted by 394
    So, art is the process of expressing one's thoughts or mind, producing an awesome piece of work.
    I'm not sure it conveys all the meaning, but just an effort..
    I agree completely! Art is simply a manifestation of one's individual ideas and creativity. It is a presentation unique to them. Manga, Animation, Paintings, Drawings, Music, even a house are art simply because they were someone's expression.

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    WHAT IS ART! BABY DON'T HURT ME, DON'T HURT ME, NO MORE.

I agree with Saphira for the most part, but there are things that happen without any human intervention at all but are still beautiful that I consider art. I can stare forever at rock formations that were built over millions of years by pressure and heat and all that junk and be completely amazed, but weren't created by any person. Unless of course you took HHGTG a little too seriously.

Three Trio Tres Member nextweek's Avatar
    life.

everything around you.

Quote Originally Posted by 10
    WHAT IS ART! BABY DON'T HURT ME, DON'T HURT ME, NO MORE.

I agree with Saphira for the most part, but there are things that happen without any human intervention at all but are still beautiful that I consider art. I can stare forever at rock formations that were built over millions of years by pressure and heat and all that junk and be completely amazed, but weren't created by any person. Unless of course you took HHGTG a little too seriously.
    I totally agree with you. Nature is amazing, and people have mainly been influenced in their art by nature. It is beautiful and awesome and all, but is it Art? maybe, maybe not;probably depends on the person.
    aarrrgghhh...this is getting complicated!

I love complicated! It makes life all the more interesting! >;->

Fenn
    Art is one of the great ends of humanity (ends being purposes, final destinations).

"All art is quite useless."
    Art is a thing produced to be art. Art's primary function is to be art. Art is of no use to anybody, but everybody enjoys it.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    "All art is quite useless."
    Art is a thing produced to be art. Art's primary function is to be art. Art is of no use to anybody, but everybody enjoys it.
    Huh???

What about activist artists? I wouldn't say useless, although it isn't essential to human survival.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    I wouldn't say useless, although it isn't essential to human survival.
    I think there would be people out there who would disagree. I've heard about people who wouldn't have been here today if it weren't for music. People's words, whether from music, literature, movies, and so on can inspire and bring a lot of emotions forward. This can lead to new things and yes, even something basic as survival (I'm not alone in my pain, etc).

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    I think there would be people out there who would disagree. I've heard about people who wouldn't have been here today if it weren't for music. People's words, whether from music, literature, movies, and so on can inspire and bring a lot of emotions forward. This can lead to new things and yes, even something basic as survival (I'm not alone in my pain, etc).
    True, there are individuals who rely on it. But as a species, we could probably exist without art (Granted we naturally developed art incredibly soon due to our natures). But there's a difference between art and, say, food.