Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on Art Softwares!

101 Dalmations Member

Help on Art Softwares!

Is it okay to use a mouse for anything art software programs like Gimp, Photoshop,etc?

I made my first digital drawings with a mouse. It worked well, photoshop was amazing at the time I tried it first with mouse, but a tablet beats all, even the cheapest tablet. What I want to say is; a mouse works, but you'll eventually buy a tablet if you want to keep drawing digitial.

Now about using a mouse in Photoshop, you can use the pen tool for lines and the smudge or blur tool for transitions. It's pretty inefficient though, but you can make nice stuff with a mouse in photoshop. About gimp I dont know lol, never used that ^^ but most drawing software should be the around the same level if you want to use a mouse...

I hope this helps ^^

Of course it's alright. But I think it's far better if you use tablet. Lots of artist use tablet not for the sake of showing off.

Using tablet, you works faster (though not so precise like using mouse), you draw like when you use a pen, and don't forget the all important pressure sensitivity. Also depending on what kind of tablet you use, there is tilt and rotation sensitivity. Something you couldn't do (or very difficult to do) with mouse.

And never forget RSI (Repetitious Strain Injury) which usually caused by mouse. Tablet hardly cause RSI.

Unless you are extremely good with mouse, I don't see reason why you need to stick with mouse when drawing digitally.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Tablets can be precise - you just have to zoom into the canvas.

But still not as precise as a mouse. No matter how precise a tablet can be, mouse still far more precision... but you don't need high precision to draw. Different story when you want to do some 3D CG or playing FPS games.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    I just don't see how a mouse can be more precise than a tablet. Tablets map to the computer monitor just as well as a mouse. How is it any different? That's a rhetorical question, btw. I'm not expecting an answer and if an answer is provided - I probably still won't get it. <_<

Anyways, Kakashi - dude, use whatever you want! Use a mouse. Use a tablet. Use your touch pad. Just as long as it's a form of input from you to the machine, then it'll work. I notice you always ask if it's okay to use one or other type of drawing material - anything is fine just as long as you are comfortable using it. That's all it comes down to. You like it, then use it. Whatever anyone else uses doesn't matter.

I agree with Rio. You could use anything you want. My only concern is just RSI. If you feel pain at your wrist after prolonged use of mouse, be careful.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Here's a pretty big list I typed out on the old forum:

http://www.mangatutorials.com/bb/vie...p=15954#p15954

101 Dalmations Member
    Thanks for the info! And great answers. I think I'm going to use both of them. The reason I asked this question is that I see alot of people use mouse to draw on art softwares but no more than people use wacom tablets. I think their both great so I'll be using both of them. I really appreciate you guys taking your time answering this question. To be honest, I don't know anything about art softwares or anything in particular, but I'll eventually learn it.

HELP on paint tool sai...
    yeah so i figured i can post this question here..

anyone here experience in using paintool sai?

i actually got the problem on using making linear art(well maybe not)
    I know how to put linear layer and i know how to use pressure and edit but my problem is I hate putting it manually(the pressure i mean) I believe paintool sai maybe the best on using linear art than any other software out there IMO atleast.
    so I believe some of you know how to put it already with the line and pen and curve tool... so anyone out there have any info?
    and i use mouse and sometimes touch pad... don't have a tablet and don't need one,