Thread: Period Clothing

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar

Period Clothing

Not sure if this is the right place (not sure where-else it would go though). Anybody know where I can find some good sites with examples of clothing from the late 1600s - early 1700s? (Preferably something the average person would be wearing, not lords and ladies and such.)
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1650%E2...700_in_fashion

Not quite sure if this is what you're looking for, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks Ceefy. I had actually already been to Wiki, and the problem with Wiki is that it's fashion. Most people didn't have money, and thus, weren't actually fashionable ... Do you get what I'm trying to say? Thanks anyway though.

You're my favorite.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Aren't old-style clothing usually tunics and tights for men and long dresses with long sleeves for women? Can't you just use the clothing for the lords and ladies as a basis and completely simplify it so they don't have embellishments or as much detail?

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_did_t...700's_wear

So if you read that you know to go watch pirates. I would also like to add that you didn't say where. America? Japan? Spain? So I assumed it was europe from that lords and ladies bit.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Its tought to find.
    This site has a list of the kind of stuff people would wear.
    http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/el...n-clothing.htm
    You might do well to research 'Elizabethan era clothing' instead of 16-1700's if you have not done so. Thats only english stuff though Id guess.

Indeed alot of it is for the rich folk but perhaps even get specific clothing items from the website iv given and research those individually.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I think that back then there really was no "fashion" back then for them. Location and occupation are pretty much the only factors that would influence their style. For instance, a farmer would wear something more light and ragged than a merchant. A person in Europe would not have a zebra skin jacket. You know. I think, maybe, you might be over-thinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Aren't old-style clothing usually tunics and tights for men and long dresses with long sleeves for women? Can't you just use the clothing for the lords and ladies as a basis and completely simplify it so they don't have embellishments or as much detail?
    Probably ...

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_did_t...700's_wear

So if you read that you know to go watch pirates. I would also like to add that you didn't say where. America? Japan? Spain? So I assumed it was europe from that lords and ladies bit.
    I meant America, but since it's the colonies, it shouldn't matter much. Thanks Psy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletlight View Post
    Its tought to find.
    This site has a list of the kind of stuff people would wear.
    http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/el...n-clothing.htm
    You might do well to research 'Elizabethan era clothing' instead of 16-1700's if you have not done so. Thats only english stuff though Id guess.

Indeed alot of it is for the rich folk but perhaps even get specific clothing items from the website iv given and research those individually.
    I know! And yeah, thanks.

I think that back then there really was no "fashion" back then for them. Location and occupation are pretty much the only factors that would influence their style. For instance, a farmer would wear something more light and ragged than a merchant. A person in Europe would not have a zebra skin jacket. You know. I think, maybe, you might be over-thinking it.
    I have a habit of over-thinking and under-thinking when I really shouldn't.

You're my favorite.