Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fenn's artwork: now with 100% more manga!

Woah :0 Spacescapes are awesome. One thing about the larger stars in the first one of the two. In the rightmost and leftmost star the plus signs kinda things have one line horizontally and one vertically, but on the star in the middle it's rotated. Try to keep those things aligned, like here : http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/i...2-10-c-web.jpg

See that they can be rotated, but they're all aligned? :> Idk if you actually already knew this and it just happened, but I thought I'd just post it anyways.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Woah :0 Spacescapes are awesome. One thing about the larger stars in the first one of the two. In the rightmost and leftmost star the plus signs kinda things have one line horizontally and one vertically, but on the star in the middle it's rotated. Try to keep those things aligned, like here : http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/i...2-10-c-web.jpg

See that they can be rotated, but they're all aligned? :> Idk if you actually already knew this and it just happened, but I thought I'd just post it anyways.
    Whoops...much abliged.

Cool stuff man, how about trying to add some reflected light? If there's a large lightsource next to a nebula you're going to see the color of the light reflected in that area (with highlights etc.).

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruther_3429 View Post
    Cool stuff man, how about trying to add some reflected light? If there's a large lightsource next to a nebula you're going to see the color of the light reflected in that area (with highlights etc.).
    Good idea! Gonna have to try it.

I'm also having another issue that maybe some digital artists can help with. To get the texture of many of my nebula, I use a new layer above it, set to blend mode "overlay," and render clouds. The problem is, the cloud layer covers the whole screen, and the only reason it doesn't show up is the black background. This limits me to only one texture layer because if I add a second one it will cover ALL the layers below it. Most clouds are going to have a different texture, so what can I do?

I've tried making new nebulae layers with a new texture in a different image, flattening that image and copy/pasting it into a new layer on my image, but then it has the black background. If I delete the black, the cloud render shows up everywhere. If I crop the cloud layer to only be where the nebulae is, it has a very ugly rough outline, which I can't blur out without blurring the texture. Any ideas?

Fenn
    Okay, I need help badly.

I can't get the lighting and shading of nebula properly. I always end up with a flat, clearly 2D shape with some half-assed texture. I won't even bother posting something new because it's gonna look like the last 2 or 3 works I've done. There's no variety in my hebula either save for the color; they all look the same.

well sometimes blur doesn't help, you could try lowering the opacity of the eraser,
    color don't blend in with the other layer unless you put some rim-lighting or the color shouldn't be that obvious with the background color, (well space isn't my style so i don't know) but in drawing people there are two shadows (one to make it look 3d and one from where the light is coming) but in that type of thing i don't really know how to make it 3d look..

i would just suggest you go make some strong bright red light in the form of smoke in the middle, well that's the only thing i could come up with while looking into reference from google.

Fenn
    Okay, trying some lighting, let me know how to improve:

Wow man, you've improved a lot since you last posted anything. Very cool vortex you've got going on. If you want to study how to do lighting for nebulas, just look up pictures of various clouds (dust clouds, mist, fog, etc.) and apply how they're lit to you nebulas.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    Wow man, you've improved a lot since you last posted anything. Very cool vortex you've got going on. If you want to study how to do lighting for nebulas, just look up pictures of various clouds (dust clouds, mist, fog, etc.) and apply how they're lit to you nebulas.
    This is uplifting! And that's exactly what I've been doing; it's good to know I'm on the right track!

EDIT: Full spacescape with an attempt at lighting, kinda failed with the lighting part though. Also the planet looked much better but I had to lower the quality to upload. Go to my artwork on my profile to see the smaller version.

Last edited by Fenn; 07-26-2011 at 02:33 PM.

@v@ preatty....................................nothing else to add sorry. Its pretty amazing what you do here, but would you dare answer to my challenge and try to paint a Pulsar after a super now +w+
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.