Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Fenn's artwork: now with 100% more manga!

  1. #11
    Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,113
    I think your biggest challenge right now is getting the gaseous masses to look gaseous rather than, say, solid or gel-like. For instance, the nebulae you've attempted are very, very opaque. Try lowering the opacity and varying the values in the mass in order to get a more airy, natural look to them. I've done some spacescape work before, and I know how tough it is! <3

  2. #12
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    I think your biggest challenge right now is getting the gaseous masses to look gaseous rather than, say, solid or gel-like. For instance, the nebulae you've attempted are very, very opaque. Try lowering the opacity and varying the values in the mass in order to get a more airy, natural look to them. I've done some spacescape work before, and I know how tough it is! <3
    Good tips. And yes it's tough, but it's so fun!

  3. #13
    Teacup Ninja Tots Cloudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    865
    The last one is looking good! does paint.net have blur? I'm not sure but in the last one i think the planet would look more realistic if it was blurred just a bit on the details and continents the effect behind it looks much nicer than the previous attempts I think you are getting the hang of this fast ;D

  4. #14
    Fenn
    Guest
    Well, I took some people's advice, as well as looked at some Hubble photos, and tried my hand at a nebula again. This is my best result:


  5. #15
    101 Dalmations Member erikamae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    140
    Nebula's are the best thing ever.
    Very cool man. Very cool., what kind of Nebula were
    you trying to portray ? o:

  6. #16
    101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    108
    I have no idea how you make these. They look awesome though.

  7. #17
    Zeta Members ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in your heart
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarletlight View Post
    I have no idea how you make these. They look awesome though.
    were at the same boat... I wonder if there are any artist here doing something your doing fenn.. =_=
    it does looks good to me and that's the only thing i could say...
    you could install Google earth... there's a application there where you can go to space... you can use those as reference
    (i seen a lot of nebula galaxy and milky-way galaxy using that)

  8. #18
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by erikamae View Post
    Nebula's are the best thing ever.
    Very cool man. Very cool., what kind of Nebula were
    you trying to portray ? o:
    Thanks! I was using a circular nebula (can't remember the name sry) as reference, it came out far different but I expected it to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarletlight View Post
    I have no idea how you make these. They look awesome though.
    Thanks! Really, the toughest part is figuring out which tools in your image program work best to make a wispy effect. I'd bet there are tutorials on the internet somewhere.

    Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    were at the same boat... I wonder if there are any artist here doing something your doing fenn.. =_=
    it does looks good to me and that's the only thing i could say...
    you could install Google earth... there's a application there where you can go to space... you can use those as reference
    (i seen a lot of nebula galaxy and milky-way galaxy using that)
    I'll have to check out that Google "Space," although NASA and Google image are pretty reliable.

  9. #19
    Senior Member nisaren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    418
    Each one keeps looking better. Keep at it, you're definitely improving. You may consider looking at some tutorials on how to paint realistic clouds. Nebulae are just huge clouds of dust, gases, and debris - so the painting process should be fairly similar. I look forward to seeing more.

  10. #20
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    Each one keeps looking better. Keep at it, you're definitely improving. You may consider looking at some tutorials on how to paint realistic clouds. Nebulae are just huge clouds of dust, gases, and debris - so the painting process should be fairly similar. I look forward to seeing more.
    Are you reading my mind? That's what I've been doing...and thanks!

    Edit: The best of my attempts today! I experimented with adding larger stars (made by myself, no lens flare render needed!)



    Edit: added another



    Okay, to further my improvement, if anyone has any ideas for spacescapes they would like me to try, post them and I will use it for practice. Also, if you happen to be looking for a new wallpaper, post the res of your monitor and I will work on a canvas with that ratio so you can download it. I'm still not very experienced yet so just don't get your hopes up. (at least it's free!)
    Last edited by Fenn; 06-24-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added pic

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •