Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fenn's artwork: now with 100% more manga!

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I think your biggest challenge right now is getting the gaseous masses to look gaseous rather than, say, solid or gel-like. For instance, the nebulae you've attempted are very, very opaque. Try lowering the opacity and varying the values in the mass in order to get a more airy, natural look to them. I've done some spacescape work before, and I know how tough it is! <3

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    I think your biggest challenge right now is getting the gaseous masses to look gaseous rather than, say, solid or gel-like. For instance, the nebulae you've attempted are very, very opaque. Try lowering the opacity and varying the values in the mass in order to get a more airy, natural look to them. I've done some spacescape work before, and I know how tough it is! <3
    Good tips. And yes it's tough, but it's so fun!

The last one is looking good! does paint.net have blur? I'm not sure but in the last one i think the planet would look more realistic if it was blurred just a bit on the details and continents the effect behind it looks much nicer than the previous attempts I think you are getting the hang of this fast ;D

Fenn
    Well, I took some people's advice, as well as looked at some Hubble photos, and tried my hand at a nebula again. This is my best result:

Nebula's are the best thing ever.
    Very cool man. Very cool., what kind of Nebula were
    you trying to portray ? o:

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    I have no idea how you make these. They look awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletlight View Post
    were at the same boat... I wonder if there are any artist here doing something your doing fenn.. =_=
    it does looks good to me and that's the only thing i could say...
    you could install Google earth... there's a application there where you can go to space... you can use those as reference
    (i seen a lot of nebula galaxy and milky-way galaxy using that)

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by erikamae View Post
    Nebula's are the best thing ever.
    Very cool man. Very cool., what kind of Nebula were
    you trying to portray ? o:
    Thanks! I was using a circular nebula (can't remember the name sry) as reference, it came out far different but I expected it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletlight View Post
    Thanks! Really, the toughest part is figuring out which tools in your image program work best to make a wispy effect. I'd bet there are tutorials on the internet somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    were at the same boat... I wonder if there are any artist here doing something your doing fenn.. =_=
    it does looks good to me and that's the only thing i could say...
    you could install Google earth... there's a application there where you can go to space... you can use those as reference
    (i seen a lot of nebula galaxy and milky-way galaxy using that)
    I'll have to check out that Google "Space," although NASA and Google image are pretty reliable.

Each one keeps looking better. Keep at it, you're definitely improving. You may consider looking at some tutorials on how to paint realistic clouds. Nebulae are just huge clouds of dust, gases, and debris - so the painting process should be fairly similar. I look forward to seeing more.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    Each one keeps looking better. Keep at it, you're definitely improving. You may consider looking at some tutorials on how to paint realistic clouds. Nebulae are just huge clouds of dust, gases, and debris - so the painting process should be fairly similar. I look forward to seeing more.
    Are you reading my mind? That's what I've been doing...and thanks!

Edit: The best of my attempts today! I experimented with adding larger stars (made by myself, no lens flare render needed!)

Edit: added another

Okay, to further my improvement, if anyone has any ideas for spacescapes they would like me to try, post them and I will use it for practice. Also, if you happen to be looking for a new wallpaper, post the res of your monitor and I will work on a canvas with that ratio so you can download it. I'm still not very experienced yet so just don't get your hopes up. (at least it's free!)
    Last edited by Fenn; 06-24-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added pic