Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sekator's... art?

Hybrid View

Teen Member

Sekator's... art?

I'm a newbie, contrary to the fact I registered here in december. The thing is simple - tell me if what I've drawn is acceptable. The first time I received ruthless blow in critics on a certain forum, I almost quit drawing... but I figured I won't do much progress without knowing what should I practice, so I'm asking on an english speaking forum, for a change.

So here it is... I actually attempted to design a character for my story, and here's what came out. To be honest this is... my 5th character drawing so far

sketch (uncropped lol)
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ture001kr.jpg/
    colored version
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/picture01a.jpg/

Hi there Sekator,

There are a lot of things that you need to work on. You art is at an early stage and you require a lot of knowledge before you can design a proper character. First thing is first, Anatomy, probably the biggest pain in art. Look it up, and look for tutorials online, we even have some here on MT. Focus on one thing at a time, that way you won't get overwhelm with practice.

Check it out and keep practicing mate ;D

As DHB already said, there's a lot to work on, but it looks good for only your 5th attempt at designing a character. Your prior experience with posting is unfortunate, but it's important to distance yourself from your art emotionally. Being able to step back and take an unbiased and emotionally detached view of what you've done will only help you in the long run. The most important thing you can do right now is to just draw a lot and preferably draw from real life. I know it may sound boring but you will learn much more trying to recreate a 3 dimensional object on paper.

If you really want to improve, attempt to spend 1-2 hours a day minimum drawing various things. After three months you'll notice a huge improvement. I know that I did once I started to put the time in to drawing on a daily basis. Good luck!

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    You also need a stronger drawing hand, all of your lines are going in one direction. Even in a static pose like that, lines still change direction. You have no line changing direction it either just continues, or breaks off into another line.

Another thing a tip on anatomy, there aren't really any parallels in the human body, or body works as such; curve to straight, for every curve line there is a straight.

Composition tips, remember everything in a composition, even if it is just a simple character follows the rule of large, medium, and small. Its a feel of balance in how we see thing

Quote Originally Posted by The_shaman View Post
    You also need a stronger drawing hand, all of your lines are going in one direction. Even in a static pose like that, lines still change direction. You have no line changing direction it either just continues, or breaks off into another line.
    There's nothing wrong with straight long lines, as long as you're comfortable with it, its fine. And I do not understand what you mean by "all of your lines are going in one direction", care to justify that? Constantly breaking off your lines lead to an unclean looking sketch, that will probably end up smugging all over the page.

Another thing a tip on anatomy, there aren't really any parallels in the human body, or body works as such; curve to straight, for every curve line there is a straight.
    I disagree with this 'tip', if you are referring to real human anatomy, than yes, but if you're referring to drawing styles, I STRONGLY disagree. Cartoon art shouldn't be too detailed on the anatomy, and yet there should be limits in which how distant the realms of reality and art style should be. Only an artist can decide for himself/herself.

Anyways, Sekator, you shouldn't worry to much about these yet, as a beginner, just focus on what you think is the best approach to improve yourself. Just be open to criticism

I agree with doghateburger, but I really recommend that you, next to practising, look at how other people draw. Just search drawing video's or something on youtube. Looking how a good drawing is made from scratch can do wonders ;D

it's important to distance yourself from your art emotionally.
    That might be a little over the top; as long as you can criticize your own work your fine, but you can be completely happy or unhappy with what you've drawn. I'm just saying so you don't exaggerate ^^

Note from me: Be sure, and this is important, to always keep your head focused on what the hell you're doing. Do not just draw because you have to draw because you have to improve. Draw while knowing what you want to make. Imagine on beforehand what you want to make before you even touch the paper. If you start drawing unplanned, not knowing what to draw and see if something pops out, then that can be very depressing and extremely counter effective. If you start drawing and the only thing you have in mind is that you'll have tons of cool art by the end of the week, you'll probably end up disappointed. If you plan to make one drawing and take time to see what you did right and wrong, that will help you.

This can happen when drawing tends to get really boring and/or frustrating. If so, just take a break from drawing and get your head straight first ^^ Now, as long as you just keep these things in the back of your mind then I'm happy Also, don't rely of these comments as if everything said here are rules you have to follow. If you do what you think is best, then it's probably gonna work out fine. Everyone can be wrong at some point...

I apologize for hijacking your thread Sekator but I would like to just say a couple more things in response to others in this thread. This is one reason why it's difficult to come to a forum looking for help. You get many conflicting theories and methods for improving. One reason why taking art courses in school is so great is that you have one teacher that gives you instruction. The learning method is uniform and there isn't contradiction and therefore less confusion. Almost everything that has been said has validity depending on the person and at what stage their art is currently sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
    That might be a little over the top; as long as you can criticize your own work your fine, but you can be completely happy or unhappy with what you've drawn. I'm just saying so you don't exaggerate ^^
    I must humbly disagree and stand by what I said earlier. While you can be unhappy or happy with your result, if you don't distance yourself from your work you won't be able to accept criticism properly. If you do so then you shouldn't ever feel like a failure as an artist just because one piece doesn't work.

I also disagree with the thought that you don't need to force yourself to draw. If you want to get better, the only way to do so is to practice drawing a lot. You don't have to be in the "right mood" to do studies or draw from life. Doing studies doesn't require you to be inspired, you just need to do it. In my opinion these are just excuses for not wanting to do something. If you want to get better, you have to draw. Plain and simple. But this, of course, assumes that you want to improve.

Once again sorry for hijacking your thread, but I couldn't hold myself back. :X

Teen Member
    Wasn't expecting so much answers to be honest...

Well, I can say I already tried out many things you people suggested. When I was still suffering after my failures and bashing I got at the picture I posted for critique somewhere else and couldn't take pencil for a long time, the thing I did the most was lurking around tutorials, so I can say I've had enough of them... pretty much.

Watching other people's work... yeah, that one too. I read some webcomics, and also look for tricks to learn in advanced pictures around this site, but I also like to wander around the net and look at the pictures worse than mine. Great way to pump up self-esteem. A bit selfish way, but hey!

Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    I must humbly disagree and stand by what I said earlier. While you can be unhappy or happy with your result, if you don't distance yourself from your work you won't be able to accept criticism properly. If you do so then you shouldn't ever feel like a failure as an artist just because one piece doesn't work.
    Yeah, but it's kind of a different story when you repeatedly fail several projects instead of breaking one picture. When I suffer this, a phrase inevitably echoes in my head "You fail at drawing".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekester014 View Post
    It seems to me that considering this is your 5th drawing, you've made progress (as far as I know). the only things that seem to catch my eye are the folds and those straight lines.
    Cloth folds are my biggest pain in drawing. Even hands and feet are something I can deal with, but folds... I can't understand how to lay them for the heck - here I was laying them blindly. And don't even get me started about the tutorials please... I've read a LOT of them about folds, and still can't get it no matter what.

As for the straight lines, I was aware limbs are not supposed to be like this... but any attempts to fix that have ended with failure. I've erased and redrawn them several times, trying to curve these lines realistically, but all my efforts to do so resulted in whole thing looking like garbage, so I've given up and left it as it is. Seems fixing it was too much for me this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    For instance, you might want to watch out of the arms, as one is longer than the other here. The lower legs are too long compared to the length of the thighs, and I would suggest wider shoulders.
    I usually don't make such mistakes as the one with arms but... check the picture - you see that bulky thing on her left (right in the picture) wrist? I think that's the reason I messed it up. I was thinking about it all the time while drawing arms. As for the shoulders, I can't see what's wrong with them. Seems right to me.

Well... the problem is I actually don't know how to practice. Everywhere I ask, I hear "draw systematically". Draw what?! Other people's pictures? My own characters? Other people's characters in different poses? Unanimate objects? Portraits? Specific sections of characters? Items? Real life objects?

Oh, and speaking of which... I can do imo very good sketches of objects from real life (didn't try whole sceneries) but I absolutely despise it - that's not how I like drawing. The whole magic in this art for me is the possibility to CREATE, not RECREATE - to put into existence something from imagination. Recreating objects from my sight is just plain boring, stupid and I hate it... not to mention it doesn't have anything in common with my target style.

The style I'm attempting to achieve is as "clean" as possible without too much detail. That's how much I know at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I gotta say mangatutorials is far more friendly than the forum I visited earlier... which kinda puts my country to a shame :/ Here at least I got some suggestions with the critique, whereas the first time the only thing I heard was in short "This sucks, that sucks, everything is crap. I'm not telling this to offend you, it's pure truth. You got your critique. Happy?"

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    Please understand you don’t cross the learning curve over night. It takes both study and practice; there are people who actually make money off their work and still climbing the learning curve. Everyone on this site is simply at different levels of the learning and it actually takes years to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekator View Post

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I gotta say mangatutorials is far more friendly than the forum I visited earlier... which kinda puts my country to a shame :/ Here at least I got some suggestions with the critique, whereas the first time the only thing I heard was in short "This sucks, that sucks, everything is crap. I'm not telling this to offend you, it's pure truth. You got your critique. Happy?"
    Where was this site, the people here are more open with others art, a lot of other sites are not. Depending where you were, the mindset of the people or artist there are completely different from what you were expecting. Also I would like to see some of your still life and life drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekator View Post
    I usually don't make such mistakes as the one with arms but... check the picture - you see that bulky thing on her left (right in the picture) wrist? I think that's the reason I messed it up. I was thinking about it all the time while drawing arms. As for the shoulders, I can't see what's wrong with them. Seems right to me.

Well... the problem is I actually don't know how to practice. Everywhere I ask, I hear "draw systematically". Draw what?! Other people's pictures? My own characters? Other people's characters in different poses? Unanimate objects? Portraits? Specific sections of characters? Items? Real life objects?
    The questions you ask are things that usually aren’t answered in most critics here. How you practice actually understands how to see. The human figure in generally is a organic shape, our muscles wrap around our skeleton, bend and twist into each other. In Italia artist draw “In the round recreating what our body do.
    Bridgemen’s work
    http://pwlawrence.com/wordpress/wp-c...man_figure.jpg
    http://onajii.com/a_sketches/bridgeman_14.jpg

Can’t find any of normal Rockwell figures right now. So here’s donivan howard
    http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...d/800x1085.jpg

Vilppu
    http://thecafeteria.net/wp-content/u...2011/01/58.jpg

my point is, it is these people works I suggest you study, to improve, but understand where I am coming from and the direction I will have you take leads to a different world than where others on this site would go. And before anyone yells it is, this is no insult to anyone here or anyone who tries to help you, it’s just reality.

It seems like nisaren and Mr_D are on way different ends of the spectrum.

It seems to me that considering this is your 5th drawing, you've made progress (as far as I know). the only things that seem to catch my eye are the folds and those straight lines. its ok to do so, just keep in mind, Organic objects and pretty much anything living will have mostly curves; you will almost never see straight lines on a creature unless absolutely necessary. and for the folds, don't worry to much on them just yet, just concentrate on anatomy for now, until you feel you've got the hang of it.

As for the two MT brethren, you can't MAKE yourself draw, but you also can't slack off on it and wait for the "feeling" to hit you. Instead, look for Ideas, think of stuff that you would want to draw, just "for the heck of it". But don't feel bad if you can't find anything you want to draw, you could try drawing other people's characters or scenes to practice. For Criticism, don't distance yourself emotionally from your art; after all, it's your art and you should be proud. BUT! also don't overreact if somebody points out something that's off; They just want to say what you need to work on. How they say it to you is another story. Just accept what they told you and improve yourself on that.

Other than that, you seem to be off to a good start.