Thread: Poses for reference?

Teen Member

Poses for reference?

Question - where can I get drawn poses for reference in drawing? I need those for practice since... even though I started my attempts at drawing a lot of time ago, I'm still a beginner, because I didn't actually draw much. In fact, at this point one failure is enough to knock me out of drawing bussiness for month or two. Maybe I'm just lazy...

Anyways, I could really use those. The problem is that I don't know how to get them - journals, newspapers and similar newspaper-like based sources are totally out of question (don't ask why - just can't use them ok?), and I don't have an idea where else could I get interesting poses from.

My ultimate goal is to start a webcomic, so I figured if I don't know precisely what should I practice so I might seriously improve, I might aswell practice drawing my characters in different poses. So if that might help - the reference I'm looking for are poses with a lot of action, maybe even acrobatics or martial arts attacks :P Any help would be appreciated.

www.posemaniacs.com is a great source for poses.

Play Mortal Kombat and press pause often.

Teen Member
    Thanks. Sylux's suggestion makes sense too :P

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    If you go to the Massive Online Drawing Tutorials list here in the forum and scroll down to Anatomy Reference, there will be a list of sites you can go to and get lots of poses. Check it out! Other topics are listed there as well.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Can you use deviant art ? if so there are people that take photographs in various poses purposelly ( i think ) for this kind of thing. Search the stock reference section for ' poses ' or the particular pose you want like ' running ' or something.