Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Mangakas

inuyasha has a high rating, it's just awful for you but it's not for all of the girls out there.. my sister really loved it so much

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    its the anime of twilight

Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    comics and mangas are diiferent, and i'm just going to keep it at that because i don't want to explain things that has been explained over a thousand times...
    please do message me with an explanation on how they are different other than the fact that they're origins are from different countries.
    Last edited by Arashi500; 07-26-2011 at 08:20 PM.

I didn't think Inuyasha was awful. A little drawn out? Yes. A little overhyped? Yes. But the plot was good, the art was good, and the characters were cool. And Rumiko does have other popular manga series just as TundraKnight said.

Also...
    Hirano Khota (Hellsing) his style is amazing and unique to say the least.
    Katsura Hoshino (D. Gray Man) has interesting plotlines and amazingly developed characters.
    And of course...
    Kaori Yuki (God Child, The Cain Saga, Angel Sanctuary, Fairy Cube, Boys Next Door, Ludwig Revolution, Grand Guignol Orchestra) is the most amazing story teller ever.
    OBJECTION!

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Why is Cake on here? For real. I stalk Heaven, and it's cool and all. But GREATEST. That's the key word here folks. Just because we like something doesn't mean it's great. Where are the VGs of Heaven, the Anime, the figurines, the TCG, the thousands (if not millions) of fans? No where.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

To kind of jump on what BB said just before me, how exactly are we determining what is great? I mean I love the art style of Oh Great but I'm not sure I would lump him in with the likes of Tezuka Osamu or Otomo Katsuhiro. There needs to be a lower limit as to be able to qualify. I think a number of useful metrics to use would be Sales, Longest Running Series, Most Influential, Most Published series, etc. Otherwise, it's pointless and we just start to throw around random names of artists whose mangas we happen to like.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    cake's comic succeeds in establishing a unique style in both its art and its humor, which is something I struggle to find even in professional mangas.

And number of fans =/= quality of the work.

I like it Nisaren.

What. I mean that's nice, but unique doesn't mean good. And the thing is while yes, Heaven is good, it doesn't come close to deserve being called one of the greatest of all time. It has what, 6 chapters? Would anyone here call Dragon Ball or One Piece on of the best of all time back when they only had 6 chapters? Like hell they did.

You're my favorite.

The sex pistols only had 1 studio album. Quantity is not quality.

Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    Sales
    Twilight

Longest Running Series
    It's rare that this isn't a bad thing why would you ever judge how great something is by how long it is outside of the bedroom.

Most Influential
    Don't see how we can measure this. Twitter followers?

Most Published series
    Seems ridiculous considering eiichiro oda exists.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    The sex pistols only had 1 studio album. Quantity is not quality.
    *coughs* Who? *Googles* If you can generate such a following in such a short period of time, great. Most don't. The Sex Pistols had time to develop and generate a following with concerts. Comics are bands.

Twilight
    So? I don't like that book, but many people do. It's a great work for developing the following it has, even if it is shit.

It's rare that this isn't a bad thing why would you ever judge how great something is by how long it is outside of the bedroom.
    Because it's stood the tests of time.

Don't see how we can measure this. Twitter followers?
    Number of hits deviantArt generates?

Seems ridiculous considering eiichiro oda exists.
    That's sort of the point though. He is one of the greatest. This ties in with long running. Everyone on the list except Cake has sold at least 1 million volumes of manga at some point.

You're my favorite.

Obviously my point wasn't clear. Nisaren chose metrics that have nothing to do with the comic artists themselves. Cypress was easily able to say why cake's heaven was a good comic, but you two were so quick to say that the most important thing was the numbers. Devianrtart watchers? You're joking right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    *coughs* Who? *Googles* If you can generate such a following in such a short period of time, great. Most don't. The Sex Pistols had time to develop and generate a following with concerts. Comics are bands.
    Classic bacon barbarian. Googles a band and then tells me why they were able to succeed despite never having heard of them. Anyway that was obviously not the point I was making. Quality has nothing to do with how many "chapters" a comic has. You couldn't possibly argue that...could you?

So?
    So does the twilight lady go on the list of best writers?

Because it's stood the tests of time.
    That's not how the test of time works. The test of time is something happens and years later it is still influencing and interesting people. Long running series don't have to worry about this because they can change to meet the demands of modern readerships.

Number of hits deviantArt generates?
    He's got jokes

That's sort of the point though. He is one of the greatest. This ties in with long running. Everyone on the list except Cake has sold at least 1 million volumes of manga at some point.
    Um number of publishes series as in amount of series put out on the market. Oda has one, and a collection of short stories.