Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Mangakas

Yabuki's art is among the greatest, but I find it sad that he hasn't written any of his own stories since Black Cat. It definitely shows. TLR and Mayoi Neko were many steps down, even if the art was better. Most notably, look at the shift of protagonists. Rito is uninteresting, and the Mayoi Neko hero is so boring that I even forgot his name. Yes, TLR Darkness gets better, and is one of the first harem mangas to come out and actually "be" a harem manga instead of tying the hero to one girl who everyone knew he was gonna get with since the beginning. The outcome is still obvious, but it's a step in the right direction.

Personally, I'd say Yabuki qualifies just with Black Cat. The beginning was a little shaky; he obviously didn't know exactly where he was going with Train as a character to begin with. Beyond that, though, it sets a good tone and sticks to it. It's definitely one of the best pure shonen mangas out there, standing along side One Piece, Dragonball, etc. And it's shorter than either of them. I don't have a problem with long-running manga, but there comes a point when new readers just can't get into it due to length. I quit reading the three big ones (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) because they were getting boring to me. Yes, HSDK is the same, but at least I can relate to the main character. That makes a bigger difference than you'd think.

/Defense of favorite artist over.

He's not my favorite mangaka (that award goes to Syun Matsuena [HSDK]), but he and Tony Taka are by far my favorite artists.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand
    Eiichiro Oda is great, but I think he need to do more works before be named a great mangaka.
    that's the reason i havent included masashi kishimoto and tite kubo, but oda has got a series that has been running for about 15 years and it's the best selling manga of all time (best selling japanese product in future probably) and oda himself has said that one piece will be his only work anyway. if creating the most successful manga in the history doesn't make you the best, then what does?

CLAMP, I know everyone loves it, but many of their works are bad. For my this is a team who knows how to sell, but its not constant in doing good stories.
    while not being a very great fan of clamp myself, i can say that X's story was quite well written and there's nothing that can beat the "feeling" that clamp gave to xxxholic. and i dont really think creating awesome things at a constant rate can make you great, you just have to prove that you're capable of doing it.

The same with Obata Takeshi, he is great, but he is not constant. And Yabuki Kentaro also fails to be part of the greatest.
    i kinda agree with obata, his art is good and he can create awesome characters but he doesn't really have any original stories for himself. yabuki kentaro is added because he's a holy existence to all moe-lovers...

Agreed with Shigeru Mizuki, but miyazaki Hayao is mainly famous more because of animating and directing, he kind of gave up on manga so he didn't do much for mangas...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Personally, I'd say Yabuki qualifies just with Black Cat. The beginning was a little shaky; he obviously didn't know exactly where he was going with Train as a character to begin with. Beyond that, though, it sets a good tone and sticks to it. It's definitely one of the best pure shonen mangas out there, standing along side One Piece, Dragonball, etc. And it's shorter than either of them. I don't have a problem with long-running manga, but there comes a point when new readers just can't get into it due to length.
    i don't think so, the art was kinda cool but the story didn't have anything special, the characters were great but they just didn't get the same kind of development and background as the other mangas (only the little girl did) and the villains were generally quite typical, the ending was one hell of a disappointment too. don't get me wrong, i think black cat was awesome and it certainly was unique, but just not that much... it's the same with hiroyuki taeki (though shaman king was a bit better than black cat IMO)

List:
    - Tezuka Osamu (Astro Boy, Black Jack, Phoenix, Red Buddha, etc.)
    - Tsutomu Nihei (Blame!, Biomega)
    - Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys)
    - Hirohiko Araki (JoJo's Bizarre adventure)
    - Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
    - Miura Kentaro (Berserk)
    - Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Apple Seed)
    - Yabuki Kentaro (Black Cat, To Love-Ru)
    - Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball)
    - Otomo Katsuhiro (Akira)
    - Hara Tetsuo (Fist of the North Star)
    - Fujiko Fujio (Doraemon)
    - Hiro Mashima (Rave Master, Fairy Tail)
    - Inoue Takehiko (Slam Dunk, Vagabond)
    - Obata Takeshi (Hikaru no Go, Death Note, Bakuman)
    - Sorachi Hideaki (Gintama)
    - CLAMP (X/1999, xxxHolic, Tsubasa Resrvior Chronicles, Chobits and etc.)
    - Go Nagai (Cutie Honey, Devilman, Mazinger Z, etc.)
    - Hojo Tsukasa (Cat's Eye, City Hunter, Angel Heart)
    - Mizuki Shigeru (GeGeGe no Kitaro)

Not sure:
    - Oh! Great
    - Yukimura Makoto
    - Norihiro Yagi
    - Akamatsu Ken
    - Imai Kami
    - Watsuki Nobuhiro (rorouni kenshin was a masterpiece, but he didn't do great in his next works which decreases his value as an artist IMO)
    - Masashi Kishimoto
    - Tite Kubo
    - Kazuki Takahashi
    - Hyung Min-woo
    - Seo Kouji
    - Hirano Kohta
    Last edited by BozeSG; 07-11-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Miyazaki also did some mangas, Nausicaa was firstly a manga than a animation. And yeah he didn't work to much on mangas, but if it wasn't for him the industry of anime and manga would be totally different.

For my the constance is a factor to determinate a great mangaka, because if you don't do that, it would be like judging Shyamalan for only one movie.

I know, but no matter how many impressions he left on the industry, he did it with movies. that makes him a very good and awesome director and animator, not a mangaka...

that's what i'm talking about here, shyamalan failed to show himself to be capable of staying as a good artist, he started good but he went down afterwards. i would've agreed with you if clamp was the same, but it's not like that, clamp still manges to do great mangas, there's just some failures in between them (which ofcourse, are not that horrible, they're "normal")...

Another name, how could I forget about this one too, Kōsuke Fujishima. His prominent work is "Oh My Goddess!" (Aa! Megami-sama). He doesn't make too many manga (perhaps only two or three) but one of his manga is enough to make him (very) famous. Though right now he spend most of his time as character designer for many famous games like Sakura War series and Tales series.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Yeah I agree. Ah! My Goddess is a pretty influential piece in the seinen area.

Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    i don't think so, the art was kinda cool but the story didn't have anything special, the characters were great but they just didn't get the same kind of development and background as the other mangas (only the little girl did) and the villains were generally quite typical, the ending was one hell of a disappointment too. don't get me wrong, i think black cat was awesome and it certainly was unique, but just not that much... it's the same with hiroyuki taeki (though shaman king was a bit better than black cat IMO)
    yeah i agree... black cat is really amazing but the details about the characters is a left down somehow... and it got a little corny when it's about to reach it's ending.. not to mention the villains motive of doing bad things is not that convincing..
    but it still better than most manga i seen so far... and i really like black cat for it's unique way of doing a story,, specially it's way of thinking of what power should a person has...

the only reason that this debate is going on is because one people would only see the good side of the manga while the other one would only see the bad side of the manga...

one day we will all have to face something like this on our way of making a comic/manga or novel that sells.

I like Eiichiro Oda's art and also Kaori Yuki's. Oda's is very detailed.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    i'd like to recommend evil_cake

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    i'd like to recommend evil_cake
    yeah i vote for evil_cake as well xD
    nice story! you guys should read his work heaven