Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Mangakas

I don't think Tsutomu Nihei and Eichiro Oda deserved to be called the greatest mangaka. If Ken Akamatsu is still not great enough, I don't think those two people could be on the list. Berserk is a great manga (one of my favorite), but seeing how things developed, I don't think Miura could be called professional (because his attitude sucks). That's why I object to see his name on the list.

One name to be added to the list: Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Apple Seed).

I like yabuki kentaro.. but there are a lot of artist out there...

yabuki kentaro was the one who made black cat, mayoi neko (which came from visual novel illustrated by peco) and to-love ru

i noticed that yabuki kentaro is ignoring the rules of how to draw manga when he's making to-love ru... but it still looks awesome!
    that's why you'll notice in to-love ru darkness that his drawings changed because now he's using the right rules now... but either way he's awesome specially in black cat

Eiichiro Oda without a doubt can be described as one of the greatest mangakas, having written a series spanning more than 620 chaps up until now and still being the best selling manga ever proves that well enough so i won't agree with that...
    Tsutomu Nihei made one of the most revolutionary styles of manga in existence and his works deserve to be called as great as any other professional mangas... (if you think that it's not revolutionary, then say so)
    Attitude doesn't change the manga's quality so miura stays too...
    Masamune Shirow is good enough so he's going to be added, yabuki kentaro is added as well(he's probably a god for moe lovers right now, and black was okay.) and i' still not sure for akamatsu ken, need more reasons (and please don't compare mangakas with each other, just say why do you think they deserve to be called great)

List:
    - Tezuka Osamu (Astro Boy, Black Jack, Phoenix, Red Buddha, etc.)
    - Tsutomu Nihei (Blame!, Biomega)
    - Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys)
    - Hirohiko Araki (JoJo's Bizarre adventure)
    - Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
    - Miura Kentaro (Berserk)
    - Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Apple Seed)
    - Yabuki Kentaro (Black Cat, To Love-Ru)

Not sure:
    - Oh! Great
    - Yukimura Makoto
    - Norihiro Yagi
    - Akamatsu Ken
    - Imai Kami
    - Yabuki Kentaro
    - Watsuki Nobuhiro (rorouni kenshin was a masterpiece, but he didn't do great in his next works which decreases his value as an artist IMO)

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    No one's mentioned Toruiyama?

Yeah, I'd say Oda (One Piece), Toriyama (Dragonball), and Otomo (AKIRA).
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Oda is brilliant and I wish he'd do another comic just so we could see if One Piece is all he has in him or what. The thing is that he's a master of continuity so anything short of an infinitely long series wouldn't really show off what makes him so great.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    It would be neat to see him do another series, but I think when OP finishes, he'll go the route of Toriyama. There's certainly no way that Oda, amazing as he is could do two series at once. I do sort of think OP may have all he has in him. Hasn't he recently stated he's only about half way done?
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Toriyama and Otomo added...

Oda said it himself that one piece will be his last work and he won't do anything afterwards, i won't blame him, he's freaking rich now and he'll probably die before he finishes OP...

List:
    - Tezuka Osamu (Astro Boy, Black Jack, Phoenix, Red Buddha, etc.)
    - Tsutomu Nihei (Blame!, Biomega)
    - Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys)
    - Hirohiko Araki (JoJo's Bizarre adventure)
    - Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
    - Miura Kentaro (Berserk)
    - Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Apple Seed)
    - Yabuki Kentaro (Black Cat, To Love-Ru)
    - Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball)
    - Otomo Katsuhiro (Akira)

Not sure:
    - Oh! Great
    - Yukimura Makoto
    - Norihiro Yagi
    - Akamatsu Ken
    - Imai Kami
    - Yabuki Kentaro
    - Watsuki Nobuhiro (rorouni kenshin was a masterpiece, but he didn't do great in his next works which decreases his value as an artist IMO)

If you're going to include araki you should at least add buronson/tetsuo hara. Araki was a hara ripoff before he started developing his own style during the middle of part 4. And buronson is better at writing even though he obviously makes stuff up as he goes along.

Not that araki's bad or anything.

Fujiko F. Fujio (Doreamon). Who don't know that cute blue cat robot? And not only Doraemon, he created lots of good manga and they all are popular too... though not as popular as Doraemon (P-man, Q-Taro, Hattori the Ninja).

And Hiro Mashima. He is the creator of Rave (or Rave Master in US) and Fairy Tail. He just create 2 manga series (still young in both age and time spent as mangaka) but both his manga sells like a hotcake. He won Newcomer Award for Rave and he's one of the youngest person to ever receive that (so I think that quite an achievement). And as you can see from his drawing, his drawing becomes good very fast (his drawing was really bad at Rave vol.1).

About Miura Kentaro. If we're talking about "the greatest manga" then I won't object if his name is on the list because Berserk is a very good manga. But as a mangaka, I don't think he's a very good example. Berserk hasn't still finished yet, and I doubt it will ever be (the latest volume is all just spoiler, yeah, spoiler in manga), furthermore the reason why he go hiatus is simply absurd...

The same with Yukiru Sugisaki, the creator of DN Angel and Lagoon Engine. Though her manga is good (I don't think if they could be called as great), but they are good, definitely... the problem is, again, her attitude as mangaka. She is famous for jumping from one manga to other, leaving most of her manga unfinished... and most seems will be unfinished forever.

Remember that mangaka depends a lot to his/her fans. Fans want their beloved manga to be finished. So a great mangaka should finished at least his/her own manga. A different story is the said person went dead, since no one could go against such natural things.

yes.