Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Mangakas

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Yes, and the point was that every one of those criteria is flawed in one way or another. So it's irrelevant how many criteria a work meets when they all risk being flawed, beit 1 or 40. There is still no sure-fire way to determine the quality of work by figures.

Besides, since when did we start writing all of these rules for this thread? I welcome your arguments against my opinion, but don't start assuming the intent of the thread. If the OP clearly stated that those criteria were necessary for induction, I would've never nominated Cake. But that wasn't the case.

I'm just challenging people to actually support things they say rather than just tossing things around. I never made rules, I just suggested a way to determine whether someone or something warranted greatness that was more than just personal opinion. Up to you guys whether you want to use it. I'll stop derailing this thread now.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    And I pointed out why I believe those metrics will give you false cases. Trying to come up with a list for greatest anything is going to be inherently subjective. It's supposed to breed discussion.
    And this isn't a discussion?

I'd rather hear something like cype's response than hearing that something doesn't count because it didn't push enough volumes.
    I'm maintaing that numbers work. As you said, it's subjective. Editors and publishers are certainly going to look at numbers to measure greatness.

I'm making sure we're on the same page here. I typed in naruto and got 1667403 hits. Typed in Superman and got 100428. I don't think it's an accurate test since Superman literally inspired an entire genre that is a staple of american culture and naruto is just incredibly popular.
    I guess so. Maybe just Google hits then? Though that could easily be skewed in the same way ...

This was brought up because you felt that heaven didn't have enough chapters to be considered.
    Yes. I realized that wasn't the correct way to be thinking and amended my previous statement. The longer you've been working in the actual industry, (and I mean working, payed and whatnot) generally, the better you are. If you're crappy you aren't going to be around long.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. I was saying that the length of a comic doesn't make it better. You conceded in the above paragraph so no point in going on about it.
    Aye.

Surely you wouldn't say this about fake psychics, and those pads people use to suck toxins out of their feets. You should know, as an american, that people buy the stupidest shit.
    No kidding. But as much as I detest Twlight, I don't think Stephenie Meyer is trying to rip people off.

I can't think of an example you'd be familiar with, but as long as you get what I'm saying.
    ok

Ceefy: FCLC and TTGL are both completed Anime. That's the difference.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Yes, that is a difference. But how does that help your argument? Bleach is not completed, Naruto is not completed, Air Gear is not completed.

And, like I said, we are nominating the Greatest Mangakas in our opinion. At what point did the OP state that we had to look at it from an editor's perspective? Or a publisher's perspective? You can't just make up rules for the thread.

Besides, an editor or publisher would look at sales and go by that because they get commissioned based on how many issues sell. So that, in itself, is faulty.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 07-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    And this isn't a discussion?
    Um this is meant to be a discussion about manga artists yet we're discussing all the wrong things. Also stop attacking the wrong points I hate having to explain this stuff and I know you're doing it on purpose.

I'm maintaing that numbers work. As you said, it's subjective. Editors and publishers are certainly going to look at numbers to measure greatness.
    And obviously I don't think they do.

I guess so. Maybe just Google hits then? Though that could easily be skewed in the same way ...
    I think you should just stop trying to find a way to measure something as abstract as influence period, imho.

Yes. I realized that wasn't the correct way to be thinking and amended my previous statement. The longer you've been working in the actual industry, (and I mean working, payed and whatnot) generally, the better you are. If you're crappy you aren't going to be around long.
    Check out an artist called Yusaku Hanakuma.

No kidding. But as much as I detest Twlight, I don't think Stephenie Meyer is trying to rip people off.
    Not on purpose anyway.

i didn't go to this thread for more less than a week and i see a lot of comments and texts.

the word "GREAT" can be define in everyone's opinion.
    some define is as great because of majority and some define great cause of their own opinion.

anyone here can disagree when i say that "i am great" but no one can stop my idea for it.
    though i still vote for evil_cake cause of it's uniqueness.

101 Dalmations Member MiguelAndrew's Avatar
    Bacon wanted or trying to say that Fairy Tail is like OP ,in a sense that OP is release first. I stop reading Fairy Tail for having this similarities to OP. But I don't degrading Fairy Tail, both manga are great in their own sense and creativity.

You can measure who is the greatest by the quantity, only the quality, and to this you need to take away the followers, publishers, etc. And see his work by what it is and what the artist have delivered in his years of carrier.

There are reasons why Cake's comic can be considered as a great work, and also there are reasons to not be considered, but those reasons doesn't come from a quantity measure, it come from a quality interpretation from the readers to his work.

I will take a example: Amy Whinehouse had a average popularity (where I live she had none), she was a great singer but no one really listened to her or care about her. She die, and now everyone listen to her. Should be we say she was a great singer because of her popularity after dead or because her singing skills in the use of contralto mixing blues, jazz, and other genres?

That's why popularity is stupid way to measure someone's work. See Naruto as other example, everyone reads it, but it has many lacks of sense's.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    It depends why she became popular. If it's because her death brought attention to her where she had never made it into the market, then yes. Otherwise, I would personally say no.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

bacon since you disagree with cake being a great mangaka you should change your signiture lol