Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Mangakas

Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    Toriyama and Otomo added...

Oda said it himself that one piece will be his last work and he won't do anything afterwards, i won't blame him, he's freaking rich now and he'll probably die before he finishes OP...

List:
    - Tezuka Osamu (Astro Boy, Black Jack, Phoenix, Red Buddha, etc.)
    - Tsutomu Nihei (Blame!, Biomega)
    - Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys)
    - Hirohiko Araki (JoJo's Bizarre adventure)
    - Eiichiro Oda (One Piece)
    - Miura Kentaro (Berserk)
    - Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell, Apple Seed)
    - Yabuki Kentaro (Black Cat, To Love-Ru)
    - Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball)
    - Otomo Katsuhiro (Akira)

Not sure:
    - Oh! Great
    - Yukimura Makoto
    - Norihiro Yagi
    - Akamatsu Ken
    - Imai Kami
    - Yabuki Kentaro
    - Watsuki Nobuhiro (rorouni kenshin was a masterpiece, but he didn't do great in his next works which decreases his value as an artist IMO)
    gunz blaze west was great he could of added more to it but it was still good.

oda,nobuhiro,tezuka(you know already),toriyama,katsuhiro,inoue(slam dunk),kishimoto,katsuhiro,arakawa,and akatsuki(godfather of gag manga),plus tie kubo but im not sure yet.big shonen fan.

Hara Tetsuo, Fujiko Fujio, Hiro Mashima, Takehiko Inoue added.

@LVUER: Agreed, but again, berserk is really such a good manga... i think i'll keep him there until more people diagree with it...

List:
    - Hara Tetsuo (Fist of the North Star)
    - Fujiko Fujio (Doraemon)
    - Hiro Mashima (Rave Master, Fairy Tail)
    - Inoue Takehiko (Slam Dunk, Vagabond)

Not sure:
    - Oh! Great
    - Yukimura Makoto
    - Norihiro Yagi
    - Akamatsu Ken
    - Imai Kami
    - Yabuki Kentaro
    - Watsuki Nobuhiro (rorouni kenshin was a masterpiece, but he didn't do great in his next works which decreases his value as an artist IMO)
    - Masashi Kishimoto
    - Tite Kubo

Luffyisgod11 do not triple post. If you have more to say edit a previous post. While you are at it dont make any more threads in the manga works.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LVUER View Post
    And Hiro Mashima. He is the creator of Rave (or Rave Master in US) and Fairy Tail. He just create 2 manga series (still young in both age and time spent as mangaka) but both his manga sells like a hotcake. He won Newcomer Award for Rave and he's one of the youngest person to ever receive that (so I think that quite an achievement). And as you can see from his drawing, his drawing becomes good very fast (his drawing was really bad at Rave vol.1).
    Mashima just ripped off of One Piece. He doesn't deserve anything. I can't understand why he's pipular in Japan and the reason he's big in America is because OP isn't nearly as popular here.

Im also tempted to say that Kazuki Takahashi (ORIGINAL Yugioh) belongs on here, but he isn't really much better then Kubo. So maybe he could go on the not sure list?

EDIT: Oh, and Ohba and Obata. Death Note was groundbreaking, while Obata is just a good artist. Just look at Hikaru no Go.
    Last edited by Bacon_Barbarian; 06-03-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    I like yabuki kentaro.. but there are a lot of artist out there...

yabuki kentaro was the one who made black cat, mayoi neko (which came from visual novel illustrated by peco) and to-love ru

i noticed that yabuki kentaro is ignoring the rules of how to draw manga when he's making to-love ru... but it still looks awesome!
    that's why you'll notice in to-love ru darkness that his drawings changed because now he's using the right rules now... but either way he's awesome specially in black cat
    Just curious, what did Kentaro do against the rules in the original TLR? For that matter, what rules of manga are you thinking of (I don't believe I've heard them before)? I just started TLR Darkness a minute ago (literally), and I don't see much of a difference . . . okay, yes I do. Just got to page 12 on Mangafox. I don't recall the original series being almost completely uncensored. (How OLD is Momo, anyway?) Well, I know this one's never gonna be licensed in America.

Main question: What are the rules of manga?
    Last edited by Matt; 06-03-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian
    Mashima just ripped off of One Piece. He doesn't deserve anything. I can't understand why he's pipular in Japan and the reason he's big in America is because OP isn't nearly as popular here.
    Nope, Hiro had his debut in almost the same time as oda so i guess they're rather like rivals, their art is similar only because they both were influenced by dragon ball when they were kids. personally, i like hiro's art more, and he he had the courage to actually finish a great series and move on to another one, something we won't ever see oda doing until his last breath... and OP is not famous in US for a single reason which i'm amzed you don't know about, 4KIDS DUB!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Just read a little further. I like that they're actually coming right out and SAYING that the girls are trying to give the male lead a harem. Still doesn't make the genre any better. Black Cat's storyline was far superior, even if TLR's girls are hotter.
    TLR is not written by Yabuki himself...

Added Takeshi Obata.

List:
    - Hara Tetsuo (Fist of the North Star)
    - Fujiko Fujio (Doraemon)
    - Hiro Mashima (Rave Master, Fairy Tail)
    - Inoue Takehiko (Slam Dunk, Vagabond)
    - Obata Takeshi (Hikaru no Go, Death Note, Bakuman)

Not sure:
    - Oh! Great
    - Yukimura Makoto
    - Norihiro Yagi
    - Akamatsu Ken
    - Imai Kami
    - Yabuki Kentaro
    - Masashi Kishimoto
    - Tite Kubo
    - Kazuki Takahashi

Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    Nope, Hiro had his debut in almost the same time as oda so i guess they're rather like rivals, their art is similar only because they both were influenced by dragon ball when they were kids. personally, i like hiro's art more, and he he had the courage to actually finish a great series and move on to another one, something we won't ever see oda doing until his last breath
    Yeah, because he isn't half way done. Does anybody actually care? No. It's still the biggest manga in Japan.

And OP is not famous in US for a single reason which i'm amzed you don't know about, 4KIDS DUB!!!!!
    I know about the 4Kids dub, and honestly, it has nothing to do with it's lack of popularity. While it wasn't great looking back on it as a fan of the manga, it did introduce to people who would never have seen it otherwise.

I don't see any resemblances between Rave and One Piece? They have different power (ten commandment/darkbring VS devils fruit), different story, different characters, different backgrounds... everything is different. I read both Rave and One Piece and I don't think Rave rip-off anything from One Piece?

SPOILER! :
    Speaking about ripping-off though, I'm more surprised that no one realized that Ar Tonelico 1 (video game by Gust and Banpresto) rip-off almost everything from Erementar Gerad.

Having a similar art style is very common in manga field. Besides, no one complains about that (in anime world, everyone share similar style or even will change style when need arise). If two person become assistant for one same person, it's very normal if both that person have similar style when they finally debut as mangaka. Though later, most person will eventually develop their own style.

Look at The Big Three, Dragon Ball Z, Death Note, Shaman King, and YYH. None of them look similar. Look at OP and look at Fairy Tail, they both draw humans in the exact same way.