Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Big Hip Edition

Cloudy Big Hip Edition

Hiya I'm Cloudy, some of you might remember me from the older forums we have had. I haven't posted on the forum in a long time, but I frequent the groupboard almost daily.

Iv'e been part of MT since 2006 and it has helped me grow as an artist immensely, I look forward to chatting to you all again soon.

N O W . W I T H . H I P S

These two images were cropped right off the groupboard from the limited space I was provided, such is groupboard
    Comment and Critique to your hearts content, please make sure to explain reasons and how to improve etc I will take on board what you have to say ^^

SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

Last edited by Cloudy; 02-02-2013 at 01:15 AM.

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    Biggest beef, compositions are boring, even if they are cropped, they are tossed right there on the center of the page which is boring design wise. I have to say the second one is a stronger piece, you have a good couple of interesting negative and positive going on there and it is creating some interesting shapes. The first one on the other hand doesn't and the only shape being pulled out looks horrible.

Anatomy wise, even if your work is stylized, if your not going for the graphic look than I would like to suggest you start drawing Through the form. It helps drawing in the round and create the feeling that your work breathes. Finally you also have the problem of parallels, you have curves against curves, and straights against straight.

This is about the simplest I can find, ignore the spinal and all that lada da dadadaaaa; look at the arms, the legs, the stomach; you see a curve against a straight.
    http://ittcs.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/img_0266.jpg

Lovin' those hips <3

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Synn, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think you might need to take a step back and check yourself. Your crit is 100% inappropriate for the pieces at hand. Composition? Seriously? These. Are. Sketches. Figure sketches. The concept of positive and negative space doesn't apply. Additionally, I know for a fact that Cloudy can do a great job with both spatial and color compositions. Moreover, Synn, your crits tend to be 90% pretentious phrasing, 10% actual content. Your biggest challenge as an artist definitely won't be "being" an artist--rather, it'll be approaching other artists in a tactful, useful way. (Hint: typically the word "terrible" is neither.)

As for you, Cloudy, sorry about that. I just had to address that. I love your shoujo style and whimsical, croquis-like proportions. Your sketches are always so clean, too. <3 I was actually. On the GB a couple days ago and saw the top one left on the board and was admiring it. I thought it was you who drew it, too, so that definitely means that you have a solid style! One thing, though, (and it may just be me) is that sometimes the hips get a little too exaggerated for my taste. For example, in the top one the hips are far far larger than he shoulders, which probably wouldn't be negative or distracting, but what disrupts the effect of the full figure is the fact that the thighs don't touch. In most people with full hips, there would be little to no space between the thighs, and thats's okay! I don't think that giving your figure wider thighs would draw away from her aesthetic appeal. 

Just my two cents, though. :>

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Synnworld, I would be less condescending toward an artist who is better than you in every possible way. Every--possible--way.

Cloudy, I've been drawing with you for the last week or so on the GB. Keep up the good work. I see the big hips and thighs thing is becoming popular with you.

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    Synn, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think you might need to take a step back and check yourself. Your crit is 100% inappropriate for the pieces at hand. Composition? Seriously? These. Are. Sketches. Figure sketches. The concept of positive and negative space doesn't apply. Additionally, I know for a fact that Cloudy can do a great job with both spatial and color compositions. Moreover, Synn, your crits tend to be 90% pretentious phrasing, 10% actual content. Your biggest challenge as an artist definitely won't be "being" an artist--rather, it'll be approaching other artists in a tactful, useful way. (Hint: typically the word "terrible" is neither.)
    I approach everyone work the same as I approach my own, you feel the concept of positive and negative doesn’t apply, but I’m sorry to inform you cf, but your mindset isn’t universal when it comes to art. Even figure sketches hold the concept of positive and negative, not just fully rendered pieces. On that note did an approach cloudy about color compositions, no. Did I say cloudy can’t do good spatial compositions, no! A gave a honest critic on two picture I see before me, not on the work I have not seen.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Synnworld, I would be less condescending toward an artist who is better than you in every possible way. Every--possible--way.
    In other words give some useless bullshit like you just did instead of giving a good too honest critique? Sorry I would rather put the pencil and say I’d never draw again.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    ... I rather enjoy your ability to consistently miss the point. (And I'm pleased to inform you of my preexisting awareness that /my/ opinion, inherently, is not universal.)

I'm done here, so as to not spam this thread. Cloudy is deserving of neither your comments nor my response.
    Last edited by Celestial-Fox; 06-01-2011 at 12:20 AM.

i don't see anything wrong with the way you draw.
    looks pretty good to me.
    i wish I could draw like that lol.

there sure are a lot of pointless arguments scattered here and there on this site lol

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    lol@this guy. Anyway, Cloudy, you been working on that value sketching?

^ didn't mean it in a bad way, if you took it that way. Just pointing out the obvious.

e___=