Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recommend Your Favorite Drawing Books

Banned
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys. I love this forum!

I did write down your suggestions, guys, but I got to ask, still. What do you recommend for a guy, I guess, starting back into the drawing business(well for fun as of right now, so I guess it wouldn't be a 'business').

I did have some drawings from back in like 2008 or so. But I would like to start over. I really want to learn perspective and anatomy, though as I said, it is mainly for fun, though I do plan to start my own 'manga', once I get the basics down and become a little more advance.

So any help would be necessary. If I have to buy the books online, that will be fine as the borders around my way closed down, anyways. (heh that rhymed xD )

Banned
    "Drawing Manga For Dummies" is a good book. The first few pages are especially useful. Unlike in most books about drawing manga, the author doesn't tell you to start drawing characters right away.
    You have to start drawing funny shapes first. I loved the warm-up exercises because they're not dumb "draw a cube" exercises. You get to draw weaving patterns and other cool stuff.

did you just call draw a cube exercises being dumb?

well i guess that's for you to decide, and i won't judge you further.

Banned
    No
    I drew a lot of cubes a few days ago!
    It's just that drawing cubes is boring. I like drawing circles and little patterns though.

I see. So is that a book available, at say, Barnes and Nobles? If not, like I said, I can always order online, I just hate to wait. xD

How To Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style Volume 4: All About Perspective (v. 4)

this book is awesome. it really helped me with backgrounds and perspective.

After quickly flipping through it, I don't recommend Drawing Manga for Dummies. The author seems to confuse manga with fusion and western style, he rushes through all his topics without explaining enough and he's not that expressive an artist either. You'd be setting yourself up for disappointment if you try to accomplish all he addresses in that book.