Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Your Favorite Drawing Books

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Oh, that one. It's a very limited list. I'm currently working on a more robust book database and review system for the site. :3

well it doesn't seem that manga mania isn't in that list yet so i would recommend that drawing book.

The How to Draw manga series is quite good. even though they are drawn in 80's style they are quite specific. sadly it is hard to get them all.
    Also that How to Draw manga book by Kensuke Okabayashi I think his name was (not sure)
    And this perspective book by this guy called Chelsea.

I don't like 80s style. The chins and noses are too U-shaped and the eyes are too big. D:

Contemporary Fashion Illustration

by Naoki Watanabe and published by Graphic-sha was really nice. I just got it today and the references are awesome. It even included geometric face proportions to get the face style right.

And I was still completely confident in my own manly manliness while I purchased a fashion illustration book. Strolled up to the counter and paid for it like a boss.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    And I was still completely confident in my own manly manliness while I purchased a fashion illustration book. Strolled up to the counter and paid for it like a boss.
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

the how to draw manga the series isn't that much helpful for me somehow. it squeezes to little information in one volume because there is a lot of volumes... and not to mention it was done by different authors so their ideas are kinda confusing me.

I like how to draw anime and game characters by tadashi ozawa better somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    I like how to draw anime and game characters by tadashi ozawa better somehow.
    The references in those are SO MUCH better. He shows you how he thinks in 3d all the time, for one thing.

I'm going to buy a huge batch of fantasy art books from Half.com fairly soon for inspiration. At $1.75 to $.75 for still-new art books published five or six years ago at originally ten times their price, they're an absolute steal.

The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams. It's mine and Jaisus's bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams. It's mine and Jaisus's bible.
    Oh man, I was going to come in here and say this. Looks like you beat me to it. It's an amazing book.

I want a drawing book that i would memorize like a priest memorize a bible,

but sadly I haven't found anything like that yet. the books I love so much still doesn't have a translated version.

right now I'm reading manga mania shounen

edit: thanks for the recomend sylux and jai, that book doesn't seem hard to get lol. xD
    got my hands on it now
    Last edited by ram; 08-15-2011 at 03:18 AM.