Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend Your Favorite Drawing Books

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar

Recommend Your Favorite Drawing Books

I've recently borrowed some CGing books and damn, they're fantastic! I've got to give props to Digital Painting Techniques Masters Collection Volume 1 and Imagine FX's Fantasy Workshop. I think these would be really useful only for intermediate to advanced artists but beginners should learn a trick or two from reading it.

Got any books you think others should check out? Recommend them here!

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Gotta go with Betty Edwards - Drawing on the right side of the brain.

There are other books iv baught that have helped a little
    The complete book of drawing -Barrington Barber is a good reference because if you dont know how to draw something..something similar will be in there
    Anatomy lessons from the masters by Hayle Coyle I baught aswel but ..its just figure after figure..can't learn from it myself.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I actually managed to snag PDF forms of Andrew Loomis books, and those are great.

@ scarlet
    Yeah, the books of just figures are great for reference and if you're willing to learn those poses by heart, then I guess they'll be useful. Have you ever checked out Burne Hogarth (something I can't believer I forgot to recommend)? I've read a couple of his books and he actually tells you about placements and spacing between parts that you actually learn something and not just stare at example after example without any reason for it.

@ Seefy
    You know... I've downloaded those as well and I keep forgetting I have them. >_< I've really got to check them out one day...

uuhhh.... i don't know what books are you guys talking about... wish you can post some download links for them so i can see them as well >.<

You can just go to Amazon and search the titles. Simple. C:

oh.. >.<

Fenn
    The Complete Idiot's Guide to Drawing Manga. For beginners it's realy fantastic, it covers everything from basic body structures and poses to perspective to panel layout. I developed my skill with basic anime anatomy using the images in the book as reference. However, I feel like it inhibited my skill later on because I stuck to rigidly to the guidelines and style they used, but that's my fault, not the book's.

@Fenn - I've got that one too. It's good if you already know how to draw, but if you start from it, you're limiting yourself.

@Scarlet - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is my favorite drawing book. I was gonna recommend it too.

@Seefy - Ah, I got those too. They are very good.

萌えキャラクターの描き方 顔・体編

so yeah it's Japanese,, but that's exact title >.< ... even if you can't read it the pictures says it all

oh and here's another one

萌えスタイルの描き方
    and this one too
    萌えキャラクターの描き方 コスチューム編 [大型本]

their all moeh style >.<

i have all of these things and they helped me a lot...
    Last edited by ram; 06-15-2011 at 11:32 PM.