Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Zekester's Art - Angelborn

Photobucket

I'll probably put up the finished version of this when... well... when it's finished. enjoy.

Ooooo! I love the movement in your art here. The flames also add a nice touch.

One thing you might want to do is work a bit on the foreshortening on the right (our left) leg/foot. Also, maybe add the toes (well, the toe of the shoe) as it would be pressed against the ground. It's hard to explain. Here's an example, the one of batgirl at the bottom left is the closest I could find to this post:
    SPOILER! :

You may also want to give the hair a little more movement, if they're moving that fast :P But I like both the hair, and the face.

One final pointer, and I'm not so great with them myself: the hands. Hands are always really hard to do, but the more you do them, the better you get :P Here's a good example I found, but it's the wrong hand, I think. Gives you an idea, though:

SPOILER! :

It's a pretty cool picture, though. I hope to see you post the finished version :3
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Hello,

Cool that you're trying out dynamic poses, I browsed your other posts in this thread and it seems you've mainly used static poses before. Anyway, I noticed a couple of problems with the characters pose and anatomy, and I actually had trouble with a similar pose a few years back so I just felt like I was meant to give this crit

There are two major things; the first one is the weird line formed by arm+shoulders+arm, it breaks the motion of the character. The second thing is the way the pose feels forced, and with forced I mean unnatural: you wouldn't see anyone doing this pose in for example a battle or something. I tried to do the pose myself, and immediately felt how my "sword arm" protested, try it out yourself and you'll feel it too

So I did this quick reconfiguration of the pose, to show you what I mean about how forced your version is, and also a few suggestions about how you could improve the composition

I marked the sketch with numbers to make it easier to relate to my crit.
    #1 This is a more natural pose with the arm and sword, much easier to do + it's much easier to make a slash from this pose
    #2 Notice how the line between the shoulders follows the motion of arms and body
    #3 The supporting hand is placed directly on the line of balance
    And now notice how dependent #1,#2 and #3 are on each other. They bring balance and motion to the force. When I saw you're piece I assumed that the character just had finished a badass slash and just regained his balance, so I modelled it after that.

The one with more red painted in is just a few personal idea on how you could use the other elements (sword, smoke/fire) in your drawing to work with the character and pose. In my sketch I used those elements to point back to the character whenever you're eyes are about to leave the character.
    Last but not least: if you didn't already plan to do it; add a background! Everything looks so much better with a background, and I begrudge myself because I never drew backgrounds when I started drawing, so now I have trouble doing them.

I hope that you found my crit useful, and that you finish this piece. I'm not too frequent here on MT, so if you finish this, please PM me a link of it, I'd hate to miss it!

PS. I forgot to mention it, but my sketch is of a male in that pose, since I just used basic shapes I thought I should point that out. If your character is female you should probably try to get a good reference of a female in a pose like this one DS.
    Last edited by Rubisko; 02-25-2012 at 08:57 AM.

@Blue_Dragon: thank you, I'll see what I can do about hands, My old nemesis.

@Rubisko: He's a guy! XD Thanks for the references, I'll take the time to correct you on the story to this drawing:

It's a pic of my story Angelborn in the final arc, and final battle. Keitaro (Dude in pic) is running through the hallways trying to find Nariko (Girl with the bob in some of the other pics) and since there are loads of enemies and he's a little short on time, he just runs right through them. In this drawing, He's turning a corner while just finishing a slash to his enemies. He's strafing, and currently changing direction, as he doesn't want to lose speed. his arm is slightly off for the fact that he did a sort of cartwheel move to do the slash, therefore, the sword's weight (which in the story, isn't much, but it's still something) and the motion of the flip is causing his arm to be slightly bent farther back than if he was standing still. sorry if it's hard to imagine, but suffice to say, It'll take a couple days to finish, since I haven't been working on it lately. will post when finished.

Also, if you look at his right foot (our left) he has already placed his foot to change his momentum from sideways (strafe) to forward (Run).
    Last edited by Zekester014; 03-12-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Nemesis? o_O?
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

yup. hands were never my best thing to draw, so it officially became my archenemy quite a while ago.