Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zekester's Art - Angelborn

Hybrid View

Zekester's Art - Angelborn

Hey-lo dudes and dudettes, I started drawing about three years ago, and I started drawing in shading just last year. I'm making slow progress, so there's no major changes, but anything is possible.

I've made some progress (as far as I know) from when I was last here from who-knows-when. I would like some advice on where I need more "training" per se. My scanner gives the drawings this odd glare which doesn't come off that well with changes in brightness. ah well. hope you can see it.

Old sketchbook:

one of the early posters from the beginning
    Photobucket

"stages" I had for my main character, Zenaku, before I removed them
    Photobucket

A concept of a major character in Angelborn, Nariko Salvani
    Nariko Shinaya (Non-blurry)

Another concept I made a couple months after the first
    Nariko (new style)

New Sketchbook:

Not sure why I drew this one. ah well.
    Photobucket

I was playing around with wingspan
    Photobucket

Zenaku, Dante, and Nova from Angelborn
    Photobucket

Keitaro eating a fruit that tastes like a cookie
    Photobucket
    Last edited by Zekester014; 02-16-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Hey, you've got some pretty good stuff! I like you you use multi-character shots and put them in different poses. Right now I'd just suggest to keep working on shading and perhaps trying different styles of eyes to make them more expressive. Everything else seems like it'll come along in good time and practice.

Thanks. I have an example of each I just made last week. Hopefully it shows I'm trying it out:

Shading
    Photobucket

Eyes
    Photobucket

Oh yeah, that definitely shows off your skill much better. Try using more in-between shades rather than light and dark. Also, the texture on the wings is really nice.

Thank you. Hmm, how can I pull the "in-between shades" off? sounds easy, but to me, they might not show up well enough...?

Right now it looks like you might be relying on a blending stump/finger/tissue/whatever to make your middle shades. Try only using the pencil to make things pop out at different levels and use a blending tool as a finishing touch. That will usually help you see how shading works.

Ah, I see, and yes, I do use a stump.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Glad to see you started posting art. You might wanna brush up on anatomy a bit, mainly in the limbs. Though I can see you're well on your way to becoming a great character designer.

Thanks. Where exactly on the limbs?

Character designer? First time I heard that one. thank you (lol)
    Last edited by Zekester014; 02-16-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Next time try to use "full color" setting on your scanner program, don't use "black and white." After scan, increase it's contras not the brightness. Hope this help to reduce the odd glare.

I like the girl with umbrella (umm i think her name is nova). I want to see her with full color, LOL