Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Legalised Theft of Copyrighted Works

Stop Legalised Theft of Copyrighted Works

Sup guys. If you're in the UK you might already know about this, but if you're not here's a quick synopsis.

"A new legislation that has been rushed through parliament with no thought has now reached royal assent. This legislation means that photographers and illustrators alike will see their artworks legally taken and used for another's own gain.

Unless your works are registered or plastered with a watermark, anyone can use your copyrighted work for their own commercial and personal gains provided they have made a small effort to search for the original owner. If no owner can be found, they are free to do with it whatever they want.

There is nothing to stop people simply removing data embedded in digital files and pleading ignorance to the original author of the work."

Originally they were asking for 10,000 signatures, which we reached and went above, finally aquiring 28,035 signatures. It was sent to parliament and alot of fancy dance work went around before the courts finally decided that hurdurr they need 100,000 signatures. So basically i'm asking you guys as fellow artists, please sign this petition.

Here's the link.
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/49422

Also, please share this link with anyone/anywhere you see fit.

<3 Thanks guys <3

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    What effect will this have on those outside of the UK? Will it be legal to use images that are not made in the UK or copywriter in the UK? Like if I put a copyright on something but its not an international one can they legally use it?

101 Dalmations Member Wolfen300's Avatar
    What about people not in the UK, will we be able to sign it and be valid signatures? If so then I'll sign cause that legislation is crap.

"I'll slap you so F******* hard it'll feel like you kissed a f****** freight train."-5FDP

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Ditto on these two posts. ^

You can apparently still sign it, since there are other options for your location.

Also, welcome to englishland! Don't go getting motivated or inspired about anything now!

Save that up for something important like some guys kicking a ball or the next royal wedding or something, golly gosh!
    Last edited by Regantor; 06-15-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Naw

You must be a British citizen or normally live in the UK to create or sign e-petitions.

Thought so =[

"I'll slap you so F******* hard it'll feel like you kissed a f****** freight train."-5FDP

To be fair, the government is being very hush hush about this particular issue. The only information that seems to be circulating about it is in the link I posted. I meant to say that people outside of the UK can't sign it, but if you KNOW someone who's in the UK, please forward it, or spread it on your social networking sites. I don't think it'll affect anywhere else in the world as your own local laws will take effect. I think. It's just such a sucky situation for us British folk, but Thanks to you guys for the support and I hope we can get all the signatures we need!

I hope you can, Linz. That legislation is one thing that no one needs.

who even wants 2 steal british art