Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guilty Pleasures/Gaming Masochism

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar

Guilty Pleasures/Gaming Masochism

Okay, so, recently I've been going back and recompleting and/or completing for the first time some old, old RPGs (SNES -> PSX era). Though most of these RPGs are absolutely golden, there are some that are just outright...URGH. Currently I'm playing 7th Saga and Mystic Quest (yes, the one strangely titled Final Fantasy), both of which are just...URGH. 7th Saga is just outright unfair and Mystic Quest is the blandest and most boring thing ever. I'm playing Robotrek and Earthbound (which I can't say is all that great, sorry Jubeh) on the side to let my heart heal.

Anyway, does anyone here have any guilty pleasures? Playing games nobody likes, but you secretly love? Or any masochistic tendencies when it comes to games (ie. Bullet Hell SHMUPS)?

I like old first person dungeon crawls even though most of them range from ball bustingly hard to brutally unfair. Also I play a fair amount of roguelikes.

Roguelikes are mostly unfair because they have a real-life chance of some shit going down. By that, I mean, shit goes down as often as it would if you were in a dangerous forest full of giant spiders in real life. And you die, like in real life. Then you start over...not like in real life.

I like the Touhou danmaku games (bullet hell). Now that I think of it, a lot of people like them, though.

Then, for hated games, I like Runescape. I haven't played it in years (got better stuff to do--like Touhou), but I still like it from when I did.

i have a rom of Dodonpachi for my MAME emulator, and i love the shit out of it.
    eventough it's fucking hard.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Anyway, does anyone here have any guilty pleasures? Playing games nobody likes, but you secretly love? Or any masochistic tendencies when it comes to games (ie. Bullet Hell SHMUPS)?
    You actually allow people to find shmups hard now, Cypress? Great, let's be friends.
    BECAUSE I JUST FUCKING LOVE ME SOME BULLET HELL SHMUPS.
    Still trying to get myself through Mushihimesama (the first one, stupid goddamn true final boss and your nigh-impossible random splurge, screen painting last bullet pattern), when I'm done with that I'm going to try and get my hands on the second one, which is supposed to be harder (though the final boss doesn't seem to have a "haha, now you're dead" pattern and the bullet patterns in general look more clearly structured, which is good from a game design perspective but I'm dubious as to whether it'll be the same caliber of OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT-fuelled fun as the first).
    Aside from that, Touhous are good for a laugh (the extra stages in those games tend to be fantastic fun, and call me weird but I like ZUN's artistic styles, musically and visually). They aren't that hard though, the sort of shmup where the bullets move slowly enough in most cases that you simply have to memorise how to beat the pattern.
    Deathsmiles is great, been getting a lot of fun out of that recently but once you know how to play it it's hard not to cheese the game for an automatic win (two extra lives in the final boss fight when it's pretty damn easy? srsly, Cave? Not like you guys. Also volcano Lv3 rock flows, that is all, enjoy your instantly hitting the score for both extends.)
    ESPGaluda and ESPRaDe are sex.
    Dodonpachi ofc. I still think it's better than DoDonPachi DaiOuJou and DaiFakkatsu, it's a shame they couldn't keep improving the series but then again that game is pretty much amazing already.

Outside of SHMUPS:
    ROGUELIKES, ROGUELIKES EVERYWHERE! Nethack being my favourite game ever, I think, and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup also being an awesome Roguelike. IVAN gets a special mention in this thread for being both ball-bustingly hard, and also strangely hilarious, if you are capable of finding bodily mutilation funny (you'll have a good time playing that game without arms or legs, killing enemies with copious amounts of projectile vomit).
    GodHand is an amazing game, and on hard mode is face crushingly difficult.
    Last edited by Lucy; 05-20-2011 at 03:25 AM.

I like r-type, if that counts.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    lotta people have negative attitudes toward final fantasy with casual gamers thinking its nerdy and hardcore gamers calling it easy. But I enjoy it, atleast the ones with good story.

I also like PC stategy games which a lot of people find boring like civilization and similar. Il play harvest moon in a pinch too which most people i know think is boring.

^I like the FF games, too Even FF VIII which was really made fun of.

I hate admitting this, but I also enjoyed playing the first Harry Potter game. It was annoying, the dialog, but I had fun playing.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

RPGs are hard if you underlevel, really. but even then, the match will be decided by stats so there is only so much you can do to make the experience harder for yourself. And lol, Lucy, I personally think a large handful of SHMUPs are hard, just not the ones everyone else thinks are hard. I prefer Frantic shooters over Bullet Hell because they actually try to hit you and not shoot all around you hoping you run into a bullet.