Thread: Help on scenery/backgrounds.

Arrow Help on scenery/backgrounds.

You should know one thing about me - I suck at painting scenery or just painting in general, just look at this unfinished mess:

I need a few pointers on painting, and maybe on just drawing backgrounds/scenery - SOMEBODY HELP MEH!

Edit: The picture's not showing up, and I have no idea why...
    I'm here. Your life just got 0.000000000001% better.

Fenn
    I suck at them too, but I'd say references are a must when you start. Once you realized how to capture basic textures like rock, wood, grass, etc, I imagine it gets easier.

Also, use the perspective tutorials on this site or elsewhere. Scenery is all about perspective.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M3S1H View Post
    Edit: The picture's not showing up, and I have no idea why...
    Fixed it for you. You have to link to the image direct not the page where it is posted. To link direct to the image, go to the page (the one where you originally linked), click on "View All Sizes" and then right click over the image and hit "Copy Image Location". You can then paste that into the IMG field.

Anyways, regarding your question, have you checked the landscape tutorials I made? If you're looking for CGing specifically, try checking out this or this.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    Not that im an expert at landscapes or anything but I do have some advice if you want it.

Id advice you take your time with it. What I did alot when first learning to draw backgrounds was rushed everything under the idea " manga backgrounds are stylized " or " its the character thats important ". If your like me and do something similar I advice you really slow down. Remember the background makes up for a lot of the image and as such generally should take longer than any individual character.

Also, its the little things that count.

Cant give much advice on CGing because im more of a painter.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Don't be afraid to use references when it comes to landscapes. You can't draw anything if you don't know what they look like right? (That was a rhetorical question, btw)

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    Indeed. THose look more lke the idea of mountains, rather than what mountain actually look like.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...p/IMG_0361.jpg

First, your mountains are both perfect cones. They should have a less regular shapes, as well as big ridges and folds. They are also far too blue, unless you were going for a stylized/cartoony effect. Most backgrounds, in order to look natural, utilize colors that are very desaturated an neutral.

Mountain example threw together:

This is a mess, but the shading can show the peaks. The rules of shading still apply. Mostly it's a matter of finding reference when you have no idea what you're doing.