View Poll Results: What would you like to see more of ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • English style illustration

1 11.11%
  • Mega crazy creepy detailed stuff

2 22.22%
  • Manga ( cuz like duh its MT )

4 44.44%
  • Portraiture

0 0%
  • Figure drawing

2 22.22%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Return of Scarlet. Sketchbook stuff and The Real of Fairies.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    erikamae - Thanks !

Celestial fox - It depends alot on the scale of the work and the delicacy. The best example I can use to explain would be the gnomes playground (first piece in this thread).

The foremost tree's were inked using a faber castel black marker ( has both a thick and thin end which I love ), just because its faster and looks bolder in the front helping with depth.

For the background trees though and any other background elements I would use an ink nib to get the detail in small spaces. I tend to ink with an ink nib in my sketchbook as well. I might use a ball point pen occasionally for really delicate parts like sometimes on faces just because I can get more control that way.

Largely though I do all my inking with a nib. Also with waterproof ink incase I need to paint again after.

After being on the GB for the first time ever I conclude that its ..REALLY HARD!

Did do something productive though. I managed to draw a rough sketch of Thor(top left). Going to be messing around with Thor a little more I think, seems interesting.

just cant get neat line art on there.. or digitally at all for that matter.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Yeah, drawing digitally is a different skill set than drawing on paper. It's like re-learning how to draw almost. =_=

its so difficult ! , thanks for stopping by

Ok iv got some real art for you now, not just GB doodles -_-

ok first thing , I planned on doing a full blown Thor piece but got lazy and a different idea to work on. Heres the sketch anyway

Next a quick water colour painting, I do it real quick and it gets real messy on the desk haha. Its important to do the traditional stuff sometimes I think though, helps with the fantasy work.

and as Rio said before, I was influenced by the Grimm fairy tale illustrations and iv done several interpretations of some of that work. Heres one I did, my own version of a piece by Arthur Rackham.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I'd suggest that you keep a close watch on Thor. Right now his right arm is far longer than his left, and the figure as a whole seems off-balance. Try flipping your paper backward and holding it up to the light to catch balance mistakes. I also might suggest that you find some references for muscle anatomy on the arms. You don't seem too confident in that area by your GB sketch and the paper one.

The watercolor and bottom illustration are amazing. ;_____; I wish I was as good as you. You have such fine attention to detail!

Yeah I really need to tighten up my anatomy work. I thought it was off while I was drawing it, glad you pointed it out because I will definatly work on it now.
    Such a big compliment coming from you! Thanks so much.

The last thing I needed to do for my A level art project. Just a quick touch up thing. A background that I made for an animation that I then made. Wont post the animation because..it wasn't great but wil post the background.

Was looking to mix my usual fast watercolour paintings with a more intricate style in the foreground areas.
    And Im sorry for always uploading photographs, I know it takes away from the pieces a little but my work is almost always to large to scan.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Uuuugh, I know what it's like to have work too large to scan! The background looks alright, but there seems to be a fight of atmospheric perspective. Things further away from the foreground should look paler in comparison, but in this particular piece, there are the dark green elements in the far back that are wrestling with elements in the foreground.

CF- Oh man your right! oops.. thanks for pointing it out, will pay attention to that kinda thing in the future.

Yes!! my exams are finally over! I dont know how well ive done if im honest but..we will see.
    Any way that gives me time by the boat load to work on my art but first I thought I would review everything from my art A level. So I made one of those improvement time lines you see so often online. Come to think of it if any one hasn't clicked that I was here along time ago before, some of the older work might be familiar .
    Its pretty big so I wont post it directly, just a link.
    http://scarlet-light.deviantart.com/...line-214253510

And for those of you who would rather see some new work. Heres a look under my proverbial hood.
    Just something im working on. Inspired by piromaniac from DA.
    Still early days with the piece though.

edit : I promise to get a better camera next time I post..
    '' - Just editing with an updated version.
    Thanks to any one who stops by

Hear double posting is punishable by firing squad so il just edit this one.
    A Pimp I did of NWAPs work

and an edited version if this one is too dark.

Delivered with a better camera as promised.
    Last edited by Scarletlight; 06-23-2011 at 01:58 PM.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    Woah, that's kind of awesome. You certainly have a very unique style for MT.

Unfortunately I'm not really sure how to critique this because of your unique style, so all I can say is keep it up. x}

you got some wicked skills man.. awesome stuff..