Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The "I can't draw, cuz its giving me a headache" Thread

The drawing is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    The drawing is not for you.
    why not?it's for everyone, which includes yourself. I am not going to draw it if I don't want to look at it.

Everyone can draw but: If you want to make your career in drawing, it's better that you enjoy it. If you want to get better, it's better that you enjoy it. And if you want to get critics, it's better that you enjoy drawing.

If for any reason you don't enjoy drawing and you only care of the final product, then I suggest you to get some money and pay someone to draw for you.

Hmm. I think if you get a sense of enjoyment out of your work - if you think to yourself, 'hell yes, I just created this', then you're doing it right.

It's the same with anything - for instance, nobody makes games just so they can play the result, they make them because seeing the thousands of lines of code you've written compile into something awesome is really cool.

Not enjoying every step of the way from start to finish is completely normal, I would say... but if you're only doing something so you can have the end product to use/admire, that is kind of weird.

It's not weird. It only makes you a consumer, not a developer.

A developer enjoy the process of doing something. As artists we enjoy drawing, it's process and final results. But the consumer is the one who only enjoys the final product.

I love pepsi, but I'm not making my own pepsi. I love video games but I will not do one (maybe be part as artist or creative stuff). And also I love movies but I don't have any plan to be an actor or director.

A doctor enjoy all the process not just the final result, the same goes for any career. If you are not enjoying, then that path is not for you.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Everyone can draw but: If you want to make your career in drawing, it's better that you enjoy it. If you want to get better, it's better that you enjoy it. And if you want to get critics, it's better that you enjoy drawing.

If for any reason you don't enjoy drawing and you only care of the final product, then I suggest you to get some money and pay someone to draw for you.
    That's rubbish. Im pretty sure most people here don't actually plan on drawing professionally anyway. Enjoying the finished project is enjoying drawing, just not every single detail of it. I mean, do you enjoy the whole process? People like their finished project because it holds all their blood, sweat, and tears.
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14

I enjoy the whole process, every line, every time I shade, and every time I try a new pose or scene, I feel proud of what I'm doing with every stroke and with every stroke I get more and more clear how its gonna look. I feel exited every time, and when the result is not what I want it, then I start to analise and try to figure out what I did wrong, I try new shapes, new lines, etc. It's always a enjoyment to draw, and I think that if someone wants to make his career of this, that person really needs to enjoy it, because its hard (as you said, it has blood, sweat and tears) and you need to enjoy that, not only the result.

If you just enjoy the result in something, then why to suffer? why to suffer working and shedding tears and blood for something that you could just pay or ask? It's because the artist enjoy drawing, ergo, enjoy the process of making a draw. Who enjoy the draw, is a viewer or a consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    Enjoying the finished project is enjoying drawing, ...
    Drawing is the process to make a draw. If you enjoy the final product, you don't necessarily enjoy its process.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 05-12-2011 at 11:03 PM.

why to suffer working and shedding tears and blood for something that you could just pay or ask? It's because the artist enjoy drawing, ergo, enjoy the process of making a draw. Who enjoy the draw, is a viewer or a consumer.
    What about the sense of ownership, the feeling of accomplishment and pride?

Part of why I like programming is because struggling through design challenges and figuring out logic puzzles is tough, but rewarding. You don't have to like every moment of something to enjoy it as a job. I mean, I guess it would help, but let's not shit around here - no matter what you do in life, there will be times when you hate it. If you don't think that's true, you haven't had a job yet.

If you're unhappy more than you're happy, there's a problem, but seriously, the only job I could do professionally if I had to enjoy every minute of it would be 'Professional Internet Surfer'.

the vote for drawing for its reward vs clockhand
    is four to one
    so back on topic explain how to ease the pain to get to the reward. I guess a sense of improvement through learning the secrets of drawing is one.

I think that job exist. A friend of my sister work on googling stuff.

Of course you are never in a constant love, but even the struggle is something you like at the end. As I said, if you only care of the final product then don't try to do it, because is hard, it has bad times and if you really can't enjoy the process, its better to be a consumer.

I don't work on programming because I really don't enjoy those puzzles, you do, that why you focus on that, and thats why there are people who work on that and are payed for their work.

Quote Originally Posted by apples13 View Post
    the vote for drawing for its reward vs clockhand
    is four to one
    yeah because a discussion is all about what number is bigger than (who cares quality?).

Also you know that there is no shortcut for the good things, only money (and still you can't buy skills, only the product).
    Last edited by ClockHand; 05-12-2011 at 11:49 PM.