Thread: Oekaki Boards question/ request

Lightbulb Oekaki Boards question/ request

Hello, I've been a member of the oekaki boards for a while now and I've noticed something about it and would like to ask about it as well as make a suggestion. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but i would appreciate any answers provided.

As I previously stated, I've been a member of the MOB for a little while now and have contributed a fair share of images and advice. What I've noticed is that the 11-star room goes to waste. No one uses it. I think perhaps it's a little too much pressure because, though a lot of the artists on the MOB are very talented, they normally just draw for funzies. Even the more serious works from the various artists who do take the time needed to complete a quality piece don't post their work in the 11-star room.

The drawing room, though desolate at first, has become, I think, what was intended for the 11-star room. More time and effort is clearly displayed in the pieces there than in, say, the doodle room. What's more is that the drawing room is a sort of "promotion" where as whose technical prowess is adequate is not defined for the 11-star room.
    erm, what i mean is that there is a big list of names that obviously says "these artists have shown they are skilled enough to draw in this room" at the top of the drawing room. this is something the 11-star room lacks. its a lot of pressure determining whether or not your work could be considered good enough to go into this room. there is no "promotion" system like the drawing room and so its kinda a free-for-all but in such a detouring way.

i think the drawing room is an updated version of the 11-star room, basically, and so makes the 11-star room redundant. Ultimately, it is a wasted board.

Though, I don't think it should be deleted or anything. If it was assumed that was what i was driving at, it certainly is not.

I was thinking we could create a different kind of room. My idea was a themed room. A board where the theme could change every week or so. like one week its mermaids and the next its the abyss of hell or playing with kittens or whatever. or perhaps like a coloring room where people can make lines and other people color them. or a collab room where two artists exclusively work on a piece. .-. idk something. just so the room isn't wasted. because as it stands, its one less thing to do on the MOB.

(also, i was wondering if the max canvas sizing for the drawing room could be any bigger? just a thought )

okay. done. thanks to whomever ends up reading this. and any answers. etc.

kbai

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    The Drawing Room's max canvas size was upgraded to 800x800 from 500x500 several days ago. Are you asking for a bigger canvas size? What size are you looking for?

Regarding the 11-Star Room:
    Yes, I agree that it's not getting as much traffic as it should. From what I have heard, most artists currently shun the 11-Star Room because:
    a) they are not confident enough in their skill or
    b) they are not sure that what they are drawing will end up 11-Star quality so by default, they go directly to the Doodle Room

From where I am standing, there are quite a number of people who can draw in there but just don't. Maybe they're intimidated. Maybe they just prefer the more frequented Doodle Room. Regardless, there's nothing to the 11-Star Room than just drawing anatomy at least decently enough and taking the time to color your work properly and adding some kind of background.

If it helps any, these were the artwork that have been drawn in the past 11-Star Room.

Anyways, I'll consider your request. Themes are very popular just by looking at the Contest Room.

gosh i feel pretty dumb for not noticing the canvas change. uh. um.. thanks
    also thanks for the reply and being so open for suggestions.

On the canvas size: on the other hand, the 11 Stars' room limit is still 500x500... Is there a specific reason to up only the Drawing Room's limit? It seems to me it would be good to give the same limit to the 11 Stars room as well. Since it's supposed to still be a quality room, it would be nice to have the same resolution to work with (I'm asking because I wanted to try a full figure, so I'd go for a tall and narrow canvas).

Not to say that I couldn't just doodle it on my painting program or the Group Board, mind, it was just a thought.

That sounds reasonable so I'll make the changes.

Fenn
    Just to inform people, I decided to check out the Oekaki to learn what it was all about, and the Oekaki FAQ link gave me a 404 Error while the Oekaki Board Lounge link brought me to the old MT.

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    The Oekaki Board Lounge was a subforum on the old MT. The only posts anyone made there were by people wanting to hold oekaki contests, so it was pointless to have it on the new forum. As for the FAQ, there are only like two questions that I've noticed are asked frequently so meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Just to inform people, I decided to check out the Oekaki to learn what it was all about, and the Oekaki FAQ link gave me a 404 Error while the Oekaki Board Lounge link brought me to the old MT.
    Yeah, that's something I have to change. Anyways, if you really want to check it out, just go to the rooms; look for Oekaki at the menu bar above and click on one of the rooms.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Yeah, that's something I have to change. Anyways, if you really want to check it out, just go to the rooms; look for Oekaki at the menu bar above and click on one of the rooms.
    Thanks.