Thread: Space shooter tutorial with Construct

Space shooter tutorial with Construct

Video:
    Scirra construct tutorial how to create a simple space shooter. You can create this game withing 20 minutes even if you're not a skilled game developer. It has some lacking like no score or sound but as a tutorial demo it is ok I hope.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIKUwlF0IIc

Files for this tutorial
    Download: http://www.filesonic.com/file/916140...aceShooter.zip
    Last edited by rio; 05-06-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: [RIO] You should use the video embed BBcode or click on the film reel

You should make a repository thread with all your tutorials, that'd make searching for them easier in the future. Also, maybe it's a good idea to prepare your art assets beforehand and link to them as a separate file. You're teaching how to set up the game, not how to create sprite art. Besides, you'll have time to create detailed sprites.

Other than that, very nice tutorials you have made so far. I'd consider using Construct if I wasn't such a code junkie (as GunZet can confirm...)

By repository thread do you mean to post to that thread only. If so will people notice my new post by having the thread moved to top. If I post to the same thread wouldn't the newest post be seen last. So people have to access the last page to see the video. Maybe people don't bother because they think it is only a comment?

You can update the opening post and its title, adding tutorials as you, plus you can post in that topic whenever you have a new one, bumping it up the list. (I think this is considered legitimate bumping, ask a mod).

@nattsurfaren:
    I want to send you an email/PM, but you block it so I just write it here.

In your opinion, which is better, Construct or Game Maker (www.yoyogames.com)? I'm in the middle of searching a flexible engine that not too hard to used (or need to be a real programmer to use).

That's why Maker series (IG Maker, RPG Maker) is a big no-no due to their inflexibility. RenPy is also like that except if you're good with Python. The same with Multimedia Fusion/The Game Factory (and they are pretty expensive too).

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    You can update the opening post and its title, adding tutorials as you, plus you can post in that topic whenever you have a new one, bumping it up the list. (I think this is considered legitimate bumping, ask a mod).
    This is acceptable just as long as you're not posting on the same day, multiple times a day. (If you really need to update or post something, it is best to edit your post... assuming no one replied to you of course. If someone replied to you, then feel free to make another post.) I do this myself for the Massive Online Tutorials List and the Indie Dev Resource List.

Construct or Game Maker
    Personally I choose Construct because it is open source but I don't know what scirra is planning ahead because they are talking about a Construct 2.0 and taking money for it. They have a Scirra Classic which is the the construct that I use. All my videos will be for the Classic version in the future.

This is acceptable just as long as
    So create a thread.
    If nobody reply
    Post to this thread again for the next tutorial.
    If somebody replies
    Post another thread.

Did I understand this correctly?

Nope, you didn't.

If someone replies to you, the double posting rule no longer applies, ergo you can post in that topic like you normally would.

What I'd recommend you do is this:
    -Rename one of your topics to: Construct Game Creation Tutorials (or something like that).
    -Put all your tutorials in the opening post (keep it clean though).
    -Close the other topic(s) you have, have the opening posts link to your main repository.
    -Whenever you create a new (batch of) tutorial(s), post in your repository topic, edit your first post to include the new tutorial(s) and the topic title to state that you have updated it on that day (e.g. Updated: 20/05/11 (or 05/20/11 if you're American)). Preferably do this only once a day, cramming as many tutorials into a single announcement as possible.

The underlying idea is that you don't end up cluttering the video games section with countless tutorial topics, which makes it hard for people to find specific tutorials later on (and it prevents them from being cleaned up when a topic gets forgotten about).

Now all we need is Rio to approve of what I said and you'll be good to go.

I give up. To much work. I'll stop posting them here. Check out scirra forum for more videos.
    Cheers

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I like your accent. I think, to put simply what everyone else has said:

If you want to post many tutorials but nobody has replied, use the edit button at the bottom of your last post and just add the extra stuff. If someone has replied, just make another post.