Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improvment.

Tween Member

Improvment.

I have this picture:

and i'm not sure what I can improve, can someone help me?

Three Trio Tres Member DrPumpkin's Avatar
    -Try adding weight to your lines to make the lineart more interesting. Add variety in the thickness of lines.
    -Facial Anatomy. Aline the eyes and check the nose is in the right place. Add an ear. Also, the mouth is a perfect circle. Try and give it a more mouth-like shape.
    -Add arms. Even though it's just the top half of the body, we should at least be able to see a bit of the arms.
    -More interesting facial expression. Even though your character's mouth suggests she's surprised, her eyebrows don't. Try to remember to move the eyebrows too. Either that, or she's just gaping her mouth open like a zombie.
    -Coloring? I'm horrible at this, so I suppose I can't say, but try and add several layers and shade not just the skin, but everything else as well.
    -Folds. Again, I'm horrible at this as well, but I'll say it anyway. Right now, her clothes have exactly the same texture as her skin. Add folds to her clothes to give the impression that she isn't wearing a super ultra smooth rubber clothes.
    -Draw the full body. It would really help us see what you need to improve on.

Hope I helped.
    Last edited by DrPumpkin; 05-03-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    We can't tell you what exactly to prove on at this exact moment. Improvement takes time and lots of it. But right now I'd say work on your anatomy and getting dimensions right. It's very flat.
    Improvements come in time.

GunZet has begun to draw! I hope you can show us some awesome stuff man.!

Add some more details to her eyes so we can see her iris'. Also, try to make a background.

-Try drawing simple geometric shapes in 2D (triangles, lines, circles and polygons)
    -Try drawing simple geometric shapes in 3D, this time taking into account lighting/shading (pyramids, cones, cubes)
    -Get to know the human anatomy. Study the general muscle layout of the human body and what bones and muscles affect form the most. Practise a lot. This is where the fundamentals of drawing and understanding of light come into play.
    -Study posing and expressions.
    -Study cloth, how it behaves and wrinkles. (You may also try your hand and designing clothes for characters).
    -Study colour-theory. Learn how to apply colour without making it look like vomit (I went there), or monotone.

Actually, you could get away with not studying the above. The most important thing to do is to practise. Practise, practise and then do some more practising. Through observation, you'll probably end up grasping the basic principles. Though studying the above, however little you may choose, will aid significantly in your progress.

This man speaketh the truth. Practice is the key to everything.

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    By common sense one should always practice.

While I'm too lazy to go any deeper in detail on what both pumpkin and lucifer is talking about ( and they are correct as well) I will addon, study how shapes (mention by lucifer) work in perspective. Everything bound by gravity in our world lays on a grid (of course this doesn't account for space, where 0 gravity means no perspective gridding, meaning whether knowing someone is upside down or your the one upside down is really not possible since you are just floating in space.) The reason why I bring this up is because it looks like you tried to add a simple background which isn't in perspective with the character itself.

Some shading could fix it and make it look as though he/she?'s laying down against the wall in an odd position. Drunk of course.

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    while I could concede that point to you gunz, theirs too much lack of information for us to be sure visually. From what I am seeing in the angle of the composition, their should be a arch in the person's body signifying the body up against the wall laying down, unless again they are in 0 gravity space. Then I could accept the body is just floating there. He/she kinda looks like TT version of starfire.

Hello Rare,

Here's a visualization of what Lucifer has said. The pictures are from my own tutorial but it really does coincide with what everyone is suggesting.

First, learn your basic shapes, the human anatomy, and then attempt to build a gesture drawing of your subject. Every drawing should look something like this:

Then, you will work on blocking out form to create depth:

Once that's done, you can refine the details of the clothing, facial features, etc:

Then, work on color theory. Applying what you know about light sources, etc. to get the final picture:

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sonny.