Thread: Gallery Art Battles - Art Thieves

Gallery Art Battles - Art Thieves

I understand that there are some good artists out there, but when I'm clicking away at the art battles, I sometimes notice drawings that I've seen in some Japanese art book before, or works that Google image searches have turned up. Additionally, I've started to see those pixelated pictures that suggest the image was PrtScn'd from Youtube.

Is there any way to monitor what people post, or to tell for sure if they're being art thieves? Unless there was something in the rules that said it was all right, or if I'm misunderstanding something, I drop my case immediately, but I don't believe art thievery should be condoned at all. I don't think I'm the only one who's seen this.

If there was something I missed on this issue, or if I'm misunderstanding something, tell me.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    When I have time I try to go through the Gallery and delete anything that was not theirs. Ones that you know were drawn by the original artists. The only problem with this is that it's so easy to upload tons of images at one time that it's a bit of a slog to wade through so to speak.

What you can actually do is report the image. When you click on image for a larger view, there are a long menu list on the right column. Third down is the Report button. A few people have been sending reports and that has helped a bit.

As for consequences, I may have to be more tough on this since deletion and warnings seem to be doing nothing. I guess I'll just out-right ban people if they post too many which I've done to a few already.

What I don't get is why they do it. I mean, it's not like you can hotlink the images from this site or because we'll worship the ground you walk on just because you posted l33t art because it's kinda obvious who's faking it. Ah well, I'll make one more announcement about this and I'll just ban people from now on.

I tried posting a picture (that I drew!) to the gallery to see how the whole process worked.

I wouldn't want to be naive, and I've not checked all the suspect pictures in the gallery, but I'm not sure all the people who posted those are actually art thieves: a lot of the time it's just people who aren't experienced with how copyright works and want to store their pictures somewhere on-line. I see a lot of that on Deviantart as well, and very often these people seem to just treat any site as an on-line gallery, and when called out on it they promptly delete them or just keep on not understanding why it's not fine. ._.

I'd suggest, if it's not too complicated to do, to add something to the submission page: as it is now, it just lists the file types allowed and gives the maximum file-size allowed. Perhaps putting a warning that reads like "Please only upload pictures that you drew yourself, any picture you randomly downloaded somewhere else will be deleted"; only phrased better. :P

If it was possible to put such text right upon the field where you can choose the file to upload, I'm confident it would limit the amount of random copyrighted pictures uploaded quite a bit. Especially if it were bold red text!
    Last edited by Renmazuo; 05-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    That's a very good suggestion! A notice would hopefully help everyone be aware of what is allowed and what is not. I'll to get it up asap...

[EDIT]
    Ok, I've added a notice. In bright red and bolded. Your example notice sounded fine to me so I borrowed it. Hope you don't mind.

I don't mind at all. :-) Hopefully it will help!