Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you hate the most

101 Dalmations Member Wolfen300's Avatar
    You're telling me you never get mad? Then you're the one that needs help, you're bottling your emotions. Hah. Now I sound like a quack. Anyhow. No I've not met bacon barbarian. Everyone has a different view on music, mine just seems harsh. Look at every great poet. They aren't just collections of random sentences. They all have something that melds them together and flow. Yes, it's all opinion. Meter. Not beats per second which is tempo. The words meter and tempo are misused interchangeably. Meter: The rhythm of poetry. Also used in Music. So if rap has meter, I'd like to know some. Finally, everyone speaks in rhymes, assonances, alliterations, and even prose, it just takes a watchful eye to see it. And as for your "slow rap," do you consider Dynamite Hack rap? Rap-esque maybe, but not rap. P.s., If you're playing guitar nice arpeggio finger-picking.

"I'll slap you so F******* hard it'll feel like you kissed a f****** freight train."-5FDP

just for the record, can i get ur definition of what rap is

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen300 View Post
    You're telling me you never get mad? Then you're the one that needs help, you're bottling your emotions. Hah. Now I sound like a quack.
    buddhism

Anyhow. No I've not met bacon barbarian. Everyone has a different view on music, mine just seems harsh.
    Bacon barbarian would start debating the definition of songs whenever anyone tried to tell him he was misinformed. And that's how I feel about your views. They're not harsh. You seem misinformed, underexposed, and a bit sheltered in terms of sound. Don't take this as a personal attack. Not everybody has the time or dedication to be a musical astronaut like john (hayashida).

Look at every great poet. They aren't just collections of random sentences. They all have something that melds them together and flow.
    That's not true. Also there are great poets that are total shit.

Yes, it's all opinion. Meter. Not beats per second which is tempo. The words meter and tempo are misused interchangeably. Meter: The rhythm of poetry. Also used in Music. So if rap has meter, I'd like to know some.
    Typically in rap songs you have a line of 14 syllables, but the next one has 13 because one is left for your breath. It's an extremely simple example of meter. But where does earl stop to breathe? It's a pretty impressive track.

Finally, everyone speaks in rhymes, assonances, alliterations, and even prose, it just takes a watchful eye to see it.
    I speak to literally dozens of people every day in my job. Nobody has ever spoken to me in a way that resembled rap. A few sentences here and there but now, slow rap isn't talking. Not even the pimps that come in to work on sunday talk like that and those guys are fly as fuck.

And as for your "slow rap," do you consider Dynamite Hack rap? Rap-esque maybe, but not rap. P.s., If you're playing guitar nice arpeggio finger-picking.
    That's hip hops like proper man it says it right there.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Not everybody has the time or dedication to be a musical astronaut like john (hayashida).
    i want this written on my tombstone

I'll let your family know that after I kill you

thanks

I'm impressed with your Buddhism response, jubeh. I really am. But I'm not as kind or patient. As for being "sheltered" and "under exposed" in terms of sound, that's physically impossible. When you go to a third rate public school (is there such thing as a first rate public school?) where all you do is listen to music, you hear songs from everywhere, every genre, especially when you have foreign exchange students. Are there some that I don't know? yeah. But I bet I can list just as many that you don't. I'll accept your meter argument though, it was well-phrased and seems to fit accordingly. As for speaking in assonances and alliterations, I stopped counting at five just in your previous post. Assonances and alliterations(there's an assonance) are used daily by everyone even if you don't realize it.

"I'll slap you so F******* hard it'll feel like you kissed a f****** freight train."-5FDP

As for being "sheltered" and "under exposed" in terms of sound, that's physically impossible. When you go to a third rate public school (is there such thing as a first rate public school?) where all you do is listen to music, you hear songs from everywhere, every genre, especially when you have foreign exchange students.
    That is definitely not reflected in the way you talk about music. If anything, I think it had an adverse effect on you. There's no reason to be as closed off to music as you are considering your claims to have a lot of experience with different sounds. I'm not doubting your claims, I'm just saying you've gone too far in the other direction.

Are there some that I don't know? yeah. But I bet I can list just as many that you don't.
    >_> Hmm

As for speaking in assonances and alliterations, I stopped counting at five just in your previous post. Assonances and alliterations(there's an assonance) are used daily by everyone even if you don't realize it.
    I know you know what I mean even if you don't choose to recognize it. Of course those things exist coincidentally but must understand at this point that rhyming slowly isn't just talking. That's like saying speaking slowly in tonal languages is singing. 现在来.

You just don't see it reflected but it's there. I enjoy bands Like Ra, Rammstein, and other bands with sounds that come from other parts of the world. I just hate rap. Old Irish folk songs? I love 'em! It's not a lack of culture, it's careful choice. I choose what I like. That choice is based on preference which is based on opinion. I love opera, Weber being my absolute favorite.

I was saying "yeah I don't know every song of the genre, but I bet I can name just as many as you." Just because I don't know all of the songs in the rap genre doesn't mean I haven't heard enough to make an opinion. What's good to me may be bad to you and vice versa.

My point being assonances and alliterations are not hard. They're simplistic and easy to manipulate. Rhyming slowly is one of three things to me.
    a) memorization.
    b)practicing concentration (c'mon. You try rhyming every sentence you say and write. You're concentration will improve like hell!)
    c)practicing poetry or the like. The like being things like nursery rhymes, fables, and epics if you can learn the whole thing.

Other than that, rhyming is just rhyming. Rhyming and speaking are different. Just like speaking and singing are different. Speaking is mostly monotone with very little tonal differences. Singing isn't monotone, as there would be no difference. In rhyming, everything is measured, including cadence. Speaking, nothing is measured. And if it's free beat rhyming it's prose.
    While you're right when you say I know what you mean, that nobody comes up to speaking forced rhymes, assonances, and alliterations, I see no creativity in it. Where lies the creativity in speeding up mostly monotone speech? It's not there! It's like putting a motor on a skateboard. Its useless and pointless! Why? The point of the skate board isn't speed but the amount of things you can do with it. Just like speech. The speed of speech is pointless. (Except in Oklahoma where a majority speak in such a slow drawl that when you try speaking to them you have to repeat it 12 times slowing it down each time until you convey the message.) As it is, it's what you do with the speech that matters, and not the speed. The fluidity and flexibility are what make speech useful. So why would you listen to songs where the speech is much faster than necessary, the cadence of the "artist" almost nonexistent, and idiotic immorality is pushed across? If I want to listen to a song about morals or money, I'm going with Irish classics. Not some guy with a synth board and can't speak without adding "yo,""nigga," "racks," when referring to breasts, "bandz," when referring to loads of cash, or adding some word that has no viable meaning other than it's original meaning.

You just don't see it reflected but it's there. I enjoy bands Like Ra, Rammstein, and other bands with sounds that come from other parts of the world. I just hate rap. Old Irish folk songs? I love 'em! It's not a lack of culture, it's careful choice. I choose what I like. That choice is based on preference which is based on opinion. I love opera, Weber being my absolute favorite.
    Everyone chooses what they like... How did you think it worked?

I was saying "yeah I don't know every song of the genre, but I bet I can name just as many as you." Just because I don't know all of the songs in the rap genre doesn't mean I haven't heard enough to make an opinion.
    That wasn't what I was alluding to at all but its not a big deal and not super relevant anyway.

What's good to me may be bad to you and vice versa.
    Well there's a lot of stuff I don't like but if its really bad like on a fundamental level that's something else entirely. I know you don't know me but I'm a huge shitty-music aficionado.

My point being assonances and alliterations are not hard. They're simplistic and easy to manipulate. Rhyming slowly is one of three things to me.
    a) memorization.
    b)practicing concentration (c'mon. You try rhyming every sentence you say and write. You're concentration will improve like hell!)
    c)practicing poetry or the like. The like being things like nursery rhymes, fables, and epics if you can learn the whole thing.

Other than that, rhyming is just rhyming. Rhyming and speaking are different. Just like speaking and singing are different. Speaking is mostly monotone with very little tonal differences. Singing isn't monotone, as there would be no difference. In rhyming, everything is measured, including cadence. Speaking, nothing is measured. And if it's free beat rhyming it's prose.
    I think you've lost yourself in your own point. You said rapping slowly is basically talking. I said nobody talks in any way that resembles rapping. I don't even know what you're talking about right now.

While you're right when you say I know what you mean, that nobody comes up to speaking forced rhymes, assonances, and alliterations, I see no creativity in it. Where lies the creativity in speeding up mostly monotone speech?
    Could you take a moment to think about how not seeing creativity in creative pursuits isn't a slight on the creator and not due to a lack of awareness on your part? Like if you played one of my games and couldn't see all the work I put into it, is it my fault?

It's not there! It's like putting a motor on a skateboard. Its useless and pointless! Why? The point of the skate board isn't speed but the amount of things you can do with it.
    My rule is no analogies. It slows down the pace of discussion because I have to point out how stupid that analogy is, and then explain to you why a motorized skateboard would be amazing.

Just like speech. The speed of speech is pointless. (Except in Oklahoma where a majority speak in such a slow drawl that when you try speaking to them you have to repeat it 12 times slowing it down each time until you convey the message.) As it is, it's what you do with the speech that matters, and not the speed.
    You were saying that slow rap isn't creative but now you're saying speed doesn't matter.

The fluidity and flexibility are what make speech useful.
    I'm guessing you only speak english?

So why would you listen to songs where the speech is much faster than necessary, the cadence of the "artist" almost nonexistent, and idiotic immorality is pushed across?
    Why would you watch a movie about a white guy that kills people without consequence? Why would you watch two men beat the shit out of each other on tv? Why do anything at all? Why not just take a dump and go to sleep?

If I want to listen to a song about morals or money, I'm going with Irish classics. Not some guy with a synth board and can't speak without adding "yo,""nigga," "racks," when referring to breasts, "bandz," when referring to loads of cash, or adding some word that has no viable meaning other than it's original meaning.
    Strawman^