Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hellsing: Continue?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    I've heard only bad things about Hellsing. My cousin, who's taste I generally value, tells me that a lot of the secondary characters are good but that Alucard himself is basically a Gary Ste of epic proportions and has such ridiculous infallibility and plot armor that it kind of kills any tension or enjoyment.

Hearsay, I know, but while we're all tossing in our Hellsing experiences I figured I'd share.
    To be fair, I can't disagree with him being overpowered to ridiculous extremities, but personally I like the fact that he does have at least an interesting vulnerability and said vulnerability makes at least some sense.

SpOiLeRs;
    SPOILER! :
    The fact that he uses consumed souls to restore himself and the fact that he has devoured a copious amount of them over his long life. But his weak point being the fact that if he releases them all in a torrent he essentially reverts back to a man.

However, I think there is kinda a superman conundrum in that... how do you give a creature that is seemingly invincible any sense of flaw or want. I think it's his bloodlust and his control/or lack thereof which makes him interesting, not the fact that he is some super vampire.

EDIT: and also his desire to be killed by a mortal

101 Dalmations Member Wolfen300's Avatar
    His personality is what makes him interesting plus the way he rampages. Plus it's supposed to be towards the extreme, nowhere close to realistic. If it was the ending woulda suuuuuuucked.

"I'll slap you so F******* hard it'll feel like you kissed a f****** freight train."-5FDP

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    The problem isn't being extremely powerful. The problem is being infallible. Goku is extremely powerful, but so are his villains so it's interesting because his villains pose a viable threat to him. Not the best example, I know, but just saying. The problem is is that Alucard, as he has been described to me, is not merely extremely powerful, but more or less invincible. His enemies do not pose viable threats to him. It's hard to care when we never, for even the slightest second, believe our protagonist to be at risk of defeat or failure. Like, that's why Doctor Who, the show needs the companions. Because the Doctor is a god-like alien for whom death is a inconvenience so in order for us to really worry about him failing, we generally need to give him humans to worry about because then there is something he can fail at.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Lol he's not infallible. Especially at the end. It's hard to describe without giving it away, so you'll have to read it. The OVAs are actually really good and continue farther than the manga and original rendition of he series. Lemme put it like this: Goku ALWAYS comes back to win somehow. Alucard only survives and continues to live. Live being a very subjective term.

"I'll slap you so F******* hard it'll feel like you kissed a f****** freight train."-5FDP

While there are still a couple of loose ends at the end of the series, I don't think it's ever a good thing for a series/movie/book to explain everything and work out all the possible storylines. Sequels and spin-offs tend to have less quality then originals (there are quite a few exceptions of course) and the fact that Hellsing already balanced on the borderline of becoming cliche by having too much gore (which actually makes it good) I doubt a sequel would honor the original series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    The problem isn't being extremely powerful. The problem is being infallible. Goku is extremely powerful, but so are his villains so it's interesting because his villains pose a viable threat to him. Not the best example, I know, but just saying. The problem is is that Alucard, as he has been described to me, is not merely extremely powerful, but more or less invincible. His enemies do not pose viable threats to him. It's hard to care when we never, for even the slightest second, believe our protagonist to be at risk of defeat or failure. Like, that's why Doctor Who, the show needs the companions. Because the Doctor is a god-like alien for whom death is a inconvenience so in order for us to really worry about him failing, we generally need to give him humans to worry about because then there is something he can fail at.
    That is why it is better when you take said invincible being and shove him into a scenario whereby he is now weak and vulnerable. That would be the point of the last episodes of the OVA. Also, he does have an adversary whom is similar or arguably stronger; Alexander Anderson.

As far as the Doctor Who companions go, that would be the point of Seras.

I have to say Anderson's stronger until Alucard finds the resolve to destroy him. And Seras is no longer a... destructible companion. Well she has 2 lives that we know of. Hers and Bernadette's