Thread: heads & mouths

7 8 9 Member

heads & mouths

I am really rubbish at drawing circles for the heads, whats the best way to get better? do i just need to keep practising or cheat & get a compass?

And with mouths they dont look like them they just end up looking like something from a horror film!

Take a plastic bowl, use it for size. If you need a oval kinda shaped face. Squeese the bowl and squish it into whatever ovalish shape you want. (this is just what I would do, may or may not work)

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    You could try getting those circular templates that are usually found in the office store. ...But in the long run, you should practice how to draw a circle despite the results being frustrating right now.

Yeah, just draw circles a lot until you get it down pat.

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    Making an absolutely perfect circle is almost besides the point. A head isn't a precise circle, anyway. It just needs to be circley enough to form part of the basis for a head. All you really need is 'pretty much a circle'.

Practise it and like A.H. said: there is no need for it to be perfect. All you need it for is a quick guideline. If you really don't seem to get anywhere with your practice, try going from small circles to larger ones.

Oh and use you entire arm to make the drawing motion, not just your wrist, it'll help and it's best to prevent you from developing 'bad' habits.

As for the mouths, care to provide us with an example?

@Lucifer:
    What "bad" habit? Since I think I'm also drawing by moving only my wrist, not the entire arm (I'm drawing digitally, btw)

Using only your wrist may lead to injury, it also prevents you from drawing long, straight, clean lines. Using your entire arm allows for a lot larger range of motion.