Thread: Ok here I go, my first peice of art

Hybrid View

Ok here I go, my first peice of art

Spent a good 2.5 hours on this one... I know i'll get faster soon.
    This is actualy the first major art thing I have done in years. I never took art class. (it shows) And aperently I really like drawing.
    For drawing I start with a good O/S
    Linux (mint 10)
    Gimp editor (did this 100% in there, from concept to finished)
    My horable tablet Genius G-Pen 340 (think drawing on a postcard)
    And my horrable computer, a dell P4 with less than a Gig of memory. (might have been why it took me so long.
    Anyway, what should I start working on?
    I coulden't get color right so I went back to line art.
    I was scared to do hands (and kinda out of time, i want dinner)
    And yea, it looks like a boy but it was supose to be a girl.
    Feel free to finish it for me, chances are I never will.
    Zoom in to just the head to really get a good view. To see all the tiny lines and such.

Thanks
    Last edited by marsrover; 04-25-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: got a deviantart account and wanted a highres version here (stupid facebook and the image size compression and crap)

I've used Gimp a little bit and there's definitely quite a few tweaks you can make to your brushes. I'd suggest just looking on the web for Gimp brush tutorials (I think they have some on Gimp's main site). It's tough drawing with a one pixel brush, which is what it looks like you attempted to do here.

As far as the piece itself, it's a good start. You really need to spend time drawing from observation. It doesn't have to be people, but drawing from observation will help you start to be able to see the lines that you need to draw to represent a 3 dimensional object in 2 dimensions. Right now in your career it's not important so much for you to receive critiques as it is for you to just draw, draw, and draw some more. As you draw you'll be training your muscles as well as your artistic eye. If you are able to devote an hour or two each day to drawing you'll be amazed how fast you improve in a couple of months. But the key is to be patient with yourself and not get frustrated if you don't progress as fast as you hope.

ok, got a BUNCH of brushes... gona take me a while to see them all.
    Thanks for the tip though, (also, i just figured out how to dump the presure data into gimp so everything should improve soon)
    as for career, pfff i'm effin bored right now. i don't see drawing as a way to earn money, just something to pass the time with.

Yeah, brushes can be fun to play around with. When starting out I just looked for a nice pencil brush that I could use to sketch stuff.

I wasn't really implying that you should take up drawing or art as your professional career - just stating that at this point I wouldn't worry as much about critiques as just having fun and drawing a lot. You can still bring your art here and ask for advice but I can probably cover what 90% of what everyone will most likely say: practice more anatomy, draw a lot, check out the tutorials on this site, and, if you can, go download the Andrew Loomis drawing books. You should be able to find a website with them all available for download in .pdf format.

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    *Copied*

You first problem is your drawings anatomy everything on our body are actually indications and imprints of what is happening under our skin. Things such as bends and movement of our arms and legs are stretches and pinches of our muscles. To correctly recreate a representation of a persons, one especially such as anime which is a very.......verrrrrrryyyyyyyy stylized drawing style, you need to understand how the body works. Our muscles doesn't sit on our bones, they actually go in and around each other. This picture is a decent visual of the working s of the muscle structure.

The head itself is divided into planes, while i can't remember them all these are; Frontal, temporalis, the obicularis oculi, mentalis....there is more to this but I sucked when it came to the vocab part of the head but the rest of the pieces are, nasalis, levator labii superioris, zygomaticus minor, zigomaticus major, masseter, risorius, depressor anguli oris, depressor labbi inferiors, procerus, occipital, trapezius, and sternocleidomastoid.

here- this was done by Michael Hampton, this picture is a nice view of all 4 planes.

I am not a fan of anime at style so I am trying not to be to aggressive about how i go about this. The problem with anime ultimately is if you take eye all the eye candy (accessories, and clothes), it is all actually the same drawing, ultimately the same structure and this is 90%b of anime. One of the biggest truths come in when drawing the heads, for example, the eyes (like in your drawing) are just placed on the head. Look in the mirror, your eyes aren't just on your head, but inserted, their inside your skull witch all your eye lips actually being is empty space. everything on top of our body (muscles and skin) is pushing forwards while things underneath our skeleton is pushing backwards.
    *copied end*

I can also tell from your line control you are trying to guess where what goes, while I am still guilty of this in certain poses, it is usually best to use a strong crisp clean line. You are working digitally if something doesn't work well for you, than create another layer and try to do the fixing on that layer. Also i would suggest you do some line control exercises for at least two hours everyday, and always before you try to draw a serious project.

okay

ok, thanks for the tips.
    I drew this early this morning (before I read your tips)
    comments?

And

(drawn with fancy brushes)
    Last edited by marsrover; 04-26-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added pic