Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 230

Thread: Your Unpopular Opinions

  1. #61
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    I think you and Delphinus are treating emotion and logic as if they're mutually exclusive. You can practice both and still make healthy decisions. Actually, you both continually assume that respecting your own emotions automatically means making rash decisions based on impulse. That's not what I mean at all. In fact, I don't condone making decisions that would negatively impact anyone without thorough evaluation. What I mean is simply this:

    Don't be ashamed of your emotions and understand that it is your right to be upset or angry, just as much as it is your right to be happy or content. This does not entail making any decisions with transitive effects on other people. In fact, it does not entail making decisions at all. It simply means you acknowledge your feelings as natural and warranted reactions and feel free to practice them. I'm talking about the realm of your own ego, nothing greater. Not even to the point where you affect other people.

    Your rationale is flawed though. One, I disagree that the natural response is always the most logical...
    But you cannot. You forget that our natural bodies, outside the realm of our psyches, are essentially computers. Emotions are hardwired into us. They are not simply concepts that exist only in our minds, but manifest themselves in hormones and chemicals --physical truths. When we are bothered, we trigger these chemicals and hormones naturally, like a computer that is programmed to unconditionally perform Task A. So yes, the most natural response is the most logical, because it is an objective truth. It can be measured empirically, in precise numbers.

    But maybe we're just misunderstanding each other. By "natural response", I don't mean a physical reaction--I just mean an emotional reaction as in being angry, or sad. What you choose to do with those emotions is entirely our prerogative and is different from person to person. And I agree, once again, that the most immediate //physical// response is rarely the most appropriate. But if it does not hurt anyone, crying doesn't seem like such a horrible option to me. Or venting to yourself or a close confidant.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 04-27-2011 at 02:37 AM.

  2. #62
    Fifty Fifty Member Evil_Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Z'ha'dum
    Posts
    5,604
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Um yeah that movie was brilliant
    idk man i watched it in the movie theatre on this cruise ship and it didnt seem very good.

    although i was sea sick at the time

  3. #63
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    12,847
    You should watch it again while you're not sea sick.

  4. #64
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    I never said that, Fenn. You are twisting my words around very boldly, and I will now tell you why you are wrong: What happens when you are devoid of all emotion? Life becomes unbearable. You have no reason to live. You simply exist, without happiness or sadness. You have no motivation and only do things based on logic, yet logic is based on emotion, general welfare, and gratification. There is no logic without emotion. There is no human thinking without emotion. If I do a good job, I will possibly get a raise and live more happily. If my squad flanks left, we can defeat the enemy and go home alive, and happy (since we are alive).

    First of all, other than my first sentence (which I will admit was incorrect and twisting your statement) I said nothing about denying emotions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    Well, if you were truly intelligent you would find out why they were being distant and talk to them about your feelings without harming them. Also, if your friends were smarter, they wouldn't have treated you in an ignoring manner. Your scenario is quite flawed, Fenn, so you'll have to try harder.
    Yes, it's flawed, but it accurately demonstrated my point that emotions regarding a situation change after understanding and analyzing a situation. I can create a better example if you wish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    Verbal abuse is simply someone who cannot logically assess a situation. They feel they are wronged, and act out in an unpleasant manner upon an uncertainty. There is no point to getting angry or feeling unjust if there can be no good outcome, so you must, as Cyp said earlier, cope with these feelings, and try to deal with things in a logical manner that ensures general welfare.
    Uh, yes? That's almost exactly the point I was trying to make earlier with my three step process. Hehe, I love miscommunications (on my end as well, admittedly).

    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I think you and Delphinus are treating emotion and logic as if they're mutually exclusive. You can practice both and still make healthy decisions. Actually, you both continually assume that respecting your own emotions automatically means making rash decisions based on impulse. That's not what I mean at all. In fact, I don't condone making decisions that would negatively impact anyone without thorough evaluation. What I mean is simply this:

    Don't be ashamed of your emotions and understand that it is your right to be upset or angry, just as much as it is your right to be happy or content. This does not entail making any decisions with transitive effects on other people. In fact, it does not entail making decisions at all. It simply means you acknowledge your feelings as natural and warranted reactions and feel free to practice them. I'm talking about the realm of your own ego, nothing greater. Not even to the point where you affect other people.
    Oh...that I agree with. 100%

    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    But you cannot. You forget that our natural bodies, outside the realm of our psyches, are essentially computers. Emotions are hardwired into us. They are not simply concepts that exist only in our minds, but manifest themselves in hormones and chemicals --physical truths. When we are bothered, we trigger these chemicals and hormones naturally, like a computer that is programmed to unconditionally perform Task A. So yes, the most natural response is the most logical, because it is an objective truth. It can be measured empirically, in precise numbers.

    But maybe we're just misunderstanding each other. By "natural response", I don't mean a physical reaction--I just mean an emotional reaction as in being angry, or sad. What you choose to do with those emotions is entirely our prerogative and is different from person to person. And I agree, once again, that the most immediate //physical// response is rarely the most appropriate. But if it does not hurt anyone, crying doesn't seem like such a horrible option to me. Or venting to yourself or a close confidant.
    I totally thought you meant a physical reaction. Now I'm in complete accord with everything you said.

    My later argument was an attempt to reveal the nature of verbal abuse in an attempt to convince, not force, others to feel less angry and more humored at the idea of verbal abuse, and to subsequently use this understanding to respond to it in a way that benefits them far more than an angry or depressed PHYSICAL response would.

    It's my unpopular opinion that this kind of thinking is the key to ending verbal racism. Imagine if no one was ever offended by racist comments. Racists would be forced to take physical action (violence, prejudiced decision-making) against these people in order to harm them now, which is much more explicit and will more rapidly shun the racist from the rest of socitey. But that's my opinion. Also, other forms of racism are a totally different beast.

  5. #65
    ハリセン クラプ Ace Pitcher Hayashida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PEPSI
    Posts
    9,212
    One of my unpopular opinions: We should get rid of all wheelchair access ramps. It's not that I've got anything against handicapped people, I just hate standing on an angle.

  6. #66
    Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,732
    Dude, you should just invent auto-leveling shoes that'll work on ramps and make millions. ...Or not.

  7. #67
    ハリセン クラプ Ace Pitcher Hayashida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PEPSI
    Posts
    9,212
    my calves... They just can't take it.

  8. #68
    Super Senior Member Outcast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    (・ω・`)
    Posts
    2,424
    Jump the ramp.

  9. #69
    ハリセン クラプ Ace Pitcher Hayashida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    PEPSI
    Posts
    9,212
    No, they've all gotta go

  10. #70
    One Thousand Member butternut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,454
    or use the stairs. Most places i've been, its usually stairs with a little area of the ramp for the handicapped.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •