Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 230

Thread: Your Unpopular Opinions

  1. #51
    Fifty Fifty Member Evil_Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Undefeated Battle Sheep Champion
    Posts
    5,774
    Your legs are cold but your feet aren't?
    yes

  2. #52
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    I didn't say breaking them was morally unacceptable, just that it made logical sense to follow them.
    You are supporting a baseless standard that appeals to nothing more than social appearance. What part of that is logical, or can even reasoned with logic? Furthermore, how does it make sense to let the majority decide on an issue that affects a single person exclusively? lol.

    If you make yourself incapable of feeling emotional pain, you cannot be hurt.
    And that is simply impossible. Hence the best way to go about it is to acknowledge your emotions and COPE with them. And the first step to achieving that is to not be ashamed of having emotions lol.

    Using emotions to fuel decisions makes no sense.
    Many of our decisions are driven by emotion and they provide plenty of motivation to follow through with them. Maybe my sentence was badly phrased but beyond the syntax it makes perfect sense and is actually often the case.

    You're not guaranteed to come up with the best possible solution if you involve them in the decision-making process beyond the end goals.
    As humans, we're never //guaranteed// to come up with the best possible solutions under any circumstance. Also, you are assuming that a person who involves emotions in the decision making process is no longer thinking logically. That is a heavy assumption to make. A person can be fully aware of their emotions and still make sound decisions (which is the best method, IMO). But the act of denying your emotions does not make a person any more logical (critical thinking has a standard of its own) nor will it guarantee the best possible solution.

    In fact, I would argue that denial has a heavier toll on the mind and rationality of a person than emotions. Case in point: most teen suicide cases are the result of bottled up emotions and introversion.

    I can accept "this woman rejected me, I will be avenged" as a primarily emotional goal... followed by stuff


    I would argue that our brain chemistry is mostly unsuited to the conditions of modern living.
    You are assuming there is something wrong with our brain chemistry when there isn't. Our brains are still capable of working under the conditions you deem "optimal". It is perfectly possible for the average human to think logically, while still acknowledging their emotions. What's ILLOGICAL is denying the fact that said emotions exist in the pursuit of more logical thinking. In fact, it's just plain wrong because they do exist in the most objective manner (chemically and hormonally) and denying their existence is about as good as denying fact.

    In short, COPE with your feelings. Don't DENY them. You achieve the same result with greater control over your psyche, don't have to follow arbitrary standards of social grace and retain a huge chunk of your humanity. Thumbs up !

  3. #53
    Fifty Fifty Member Evil_Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Undefeated Battle Sheep Champion
    Posts
    5,774
    so we shouldnt be vulcans

  4. #54
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,358
    Well, everyone but Delphinus.

  5. #55
    Sir-Mass-a-Lot Sylux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Christmas on Citadel
    Posts
    7,803
    Without emotion, we don't have any gratification, and therefore no reason to exist. Don't deny your existence.

  6. #56
    Fenn
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    Without emotion, we don't have any gratification, and therefore no reason to exist. Don't deny your existence.
    Thus, we should just do whatever our emotions tell us to do? Um, no.

    Besides, that isn't my point. Let me try another example. Lately, your friends have all been distant from you, avoiding talking to you and acting suspicious. The natural feelings you may have are of frustration, sadness, lonlieness, etc. If you act solely based upon these impulsive emotional reactions, you might yell at your friends, or ignore them yourself, or try to replace them. You will begin to make assumptions and rash decisions before you know anything about the situation. Fast forward a week. You enter your house and SURPRISE!!! they threw you a surprise party. Suddenly all that anger and sadness changes into joy, relief, and a renewed trust in your friends.

    Your emotions are different because you now understand more about the situation. It doesn't change the act: that your friends were staying away from you and acting suspicious. That is still the same. What changed is the context of the situation: They were hiding a good surprise for you, not something negative as your initial emotions may have led you to believe.

    That is how I view verbal abuse. For the longest time I took those comments personally, and felt anger and sadness as a result of this understanding. Now, I use the three step analysis I posted earlier, and my emotions are laughter, indifference, and a spot of pity for those poor souls who resort to the cheapest weapon in the human arsenaul. I took the time to analyze the situation, and my emotions naturally changed. This is the argument I am making; take the time to CHOOSE to look at the situation, and I believe you will feel different about it emotionally. Moreover, when you use logic to view this situation, you can help yourself make the decision to act in a way that will benefit YOU the most.

  7. #57
    Fifty Fifty Member Evil_Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Undefeated Battle Sheep Champion
    Posts
    5,774
    anchorman movie was bad seems 2 be an unpopular opinion

  8. #58
    Super Senior Member Outcast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    (・ω・`)
    Posts
    2,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Cake View Post
    yes
    What he said.

  9. #59
    Lord of Death jubeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Abloo bloo
    Posts
    13,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Cake View Post
    anchorman movie was bad seems 2 be an unpopular opinion
    Um yeah that movie was brilliant

  10. #60
    Sir-Mass-a-Lot Sylux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Christmas on Citadel
    Posts
    7,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Thus, we should just do whatever our emotions tell us to do? Um, no.

    Besides, that isn't my point. Let me try another example. Lately, your friends have all been distant from you, avoiding talking to you and acting suspicious. The natural feelings you may have are of frustration, sadness, lonlieness, etc. If you act solely based upon these impulsive emotional reactions, you might yell at your friends, or ignore them yourself, or try to replace them. You will begin to make assumptions and rash decisions before you know anything about the situation. Fast forward a week. You enter your house and SURPRISE!!! they threw you a surprise party. Suddenly all that anger and sadness changes into joy, relief, and a renewed trust in your friends.

    Your emotions are different because you now understand more about the situation. It doesn't change the act: that your friends were staying away from you and acting suspicious. That is still the same. What changed is the context of the situation: They were hiding a good surprise for you, not something negative as your initial emotions may have led you to believe.

    That is how I view verbal abuse. For the longest time I took those comments personally, and felt anger and sadness as a result of this understanding. Now, I use the three step analysis I posted earlier, and my emotions are laughter, indifference, and a spot of pity for those poor souls who resort to the cheapest weapon in the human arsenaul. I took the time to analyze the situation, and my emotions naturally changed. This is the argument I am making; take the time to CHOOSE to look at the situation, and I believe you will feel different about it emotionally. Moreover, when you use logic to view this situation, you can help yourself make the decision to act in a way that will benefit YOU the most.
    I never said that, Fenn. You are twisting my words around very boldly, and I will now tell you why you are wrong: What happens when you are devoid of all emotion? Life becomes unbearable. You have no reason to live. You simply exist, without happiness or sadness. You have no motivation and only do things based on logic, yet logic is based on emotion, general welfare, and gratification. There is no logic without emotion. There is no human thinking without emotion. If I do a good job, I will possibly get a raise and live more happily. If my squad flanks left, we can defeat the enemy and go home alive, and happy (since we are alive).

    Well, if you were truly intelligent you would find out why they were being distant and talk to them about your feelings without harming them. Also, if your friends were smarter, they wouldn't have treated you in an ignoring manner. Your scenario is quite flawed, Fenn, so you'll have to try harder.

    Verbal abuse is simply someone who cannot logically assess a situation. They feel they are wronged, and act out in an unpleasant manner upon an uncertainty. There is no point to getting angry or feeling unjust if there can be no good outcome, so you must, as Cyp said earlier, cope with these feelings, and try to deal with things in a logical manner that ensures general welfare.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •