Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Your Unpopular Opinions

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I would just advise you stop reading my posts. lol.

Besides, why //are// you reading my posts? I don't remember ever talking to you--like literally ever. o_O Who are you?

I am, lol. Superdooperphailmachine, Lol. And I am reading the posts, lol. Because I like reading these stupid debates, lol.

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    No whining please.

What she said. If it's your own prerogative to read them, don't whine about it.

srsly, you're going to come into a debate thread for the sole purpose of criticizing the way I type? GG, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I guarantee you that most Christians these days don't even bother to read the Bible, lol. None of the Christians I know have read it in its entirety, nevertheless "base their lives" around it. I know a girl who loves God, but also loves gays, different religions and tolerance.
    Then why call herself a Christian? If you just make Christianity about being nice and baking cookies for the village fête, then what's the point? Just say you worship a Supreme Being and leave it there. "Herp derp I'm going to ignore 90% of what this religion is about and still claim to be a member of it. Excuse me while I go boil my face, herpy derp derp."

----------------------------------------

On a TOTALLY DIFFERENT note and in another unpopular opinion, Satanism is pretty rad. Though I would never join any sort of Satanist church; most of the followers seem like a bunch of douchebags who are just trolling Christians. Discordianism is pretty cool though, thanks Kodos, hail Eris, Kallisti, 23, etc.

In another religious unpopular opinion, I think self-deification may be the best possible religion. Basically, all you fuckers kneel down and worship me.

EDIT: Pretty good symbol for the Sect of Apotheosis:

Last edited by Delphinus; 05-22-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    @ Hammie

How does it imply that the government supports one religion over the other? Sure, the government may fund schools and libraries, but again how does that say that the GOVERNMENT supports ONE religion? I said equal representation of religions. I said schools and libraries. I did NOT say other government institutions like courthouses or other similar buildings. Schools and libraries are educational places meant to teach people. Tolerance is one of them. As Cyp said, if you take away any chance of understanding, you will just breed fear, intolerance and down-right hate.

Say someone displays a Christmas tree, a menorah, and the kwanzaa kinara, where is there anything about "My religion is better than yours" anywhere?* How the hell is it territory marking??? (First time I heard that phrase) They represent the major religions that make up the general population. (Sorry, don't know if there is something for Ramadan and unfortunately, athiests have nothing) Just as long as someone biased DOES NOT try to push their belief on you (teacher, librarian or otherwise) and no ONE religion is represented by itself, why can't there be anything religious displayed in these institutions? Because of this whole separation of church and state? Fine, don't display anything at courthouses, Congress, and so on because they actually have to make laws and important decisions but to take them away in EDUCATIONAL places like schools and libraries where things like this SHOULD be talked about - it's like pissing on the people of this country. It's like saying "Got a religion? You can talk and show it anywhere else but here - screw you, you can't do it!" Is that not a form of censorship? Isn't that against the Freedom of Speech that this country likes to tout so much? As far as I see it, as long as religious objects are not allowed in schools and libraries, it's as unjust as saying gay people can't get married.

* You know, somethings wrong with anyone who feels threatened just by looking at a religious symbol whether it's inane like Santa, the star of david, or more specific things like the 10 Commandments and to take even further to the point that they feel oppressed by it, that they're being hounded to follow that religion - Hammie, I don't know if that was just an example or your own view, but religion isn't the problem - it's usually the fanatics and extremists that take it to such an unacceptable level (and annoyingly persistent missionaries D: ). And not just people with religions- atheists can get downright fanatical too (not aimed at you Kodos and anyone else who are atheists). Just keeping it fair by representing everyone - religion and no religion alike.

--------------------

"Then why call herself a Christian?"

People can call themselves anything as long as they feel they have an affiliation with it. It doesn't matter if they actually follow it or are it 100%. For example, for the Census, you may choose your race. If you are of mixed blood, you choose one that you felt more affinity for.

Unpopular opinion: I don't see what the big deal is over Apple products. Sure, it's all sexy looking at first look but after the initial first impression, there's no substance to it.

I'm not really whining, more showing my annoyance at the way you type. Kind of like displaying annoyance at a feature of a video game that I dislike despite liking the game as a whole.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Then why call herself a Christian? If you just make Christianity about being nice and baking cookies for the village fête, then what's the point? Just say you worship a Supreme Being and leave it there. "Herp derp I'm going to ignore 90%; of what this religion is about and still claim to be a member of it. Excuse me while I go boil my face, herpy derp derp."
    That is what most people do.

In another religious unpopular opinion, I think self-deification may be the best possible religion. Basically, all you fuckers kneel down and worship me.
    Sorry, I enjoy your being a psychopath, but no thanks.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

The last part was a joke. I like making jokes based on my narcissism. Though having people worship me would be awesome.

When I say self-deification I mean that each individual treats themselves as the only worship-worthy being, the only source of morality, and the only one entitled to make moral judgements: the only one they're obliged to serve, and the only one they should strive towards the happiness of.

...so yeah, 'self-deification' in this sense is just total individualism with religious imagery. On the note of narcissism, though:

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdooperphailmachine View Post
    I'm not really whining, more showing my annoyance at the way you type.
    You are the only person talking about what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Then why call herself a Christian?
    You don't have to follow a religion to its fullest to identify by it. Some people call themselves Christian because they believe in God. That might not even entail that they believe every one of his exploits as written in the Bible. They just believe in the entity and therefore can identify with a group of people who share that belief. That's what religion is: a society of people who share beliefs. It's not a requirement to subscribe to everything imposed by a religion to identify with people of that religion. Just like how not every member of MT is actually an artist, but simply share like interests. In this case, they share a faith and it empowers them. The artists of MT call themselves "artists" and it empowers us. That's what being part of a social demographic is about--empowerment through mutual acceptance.

To assume everyone who identifies by Christianity is a delusional zealot is extremely judgmental and hypocritical. To hate them under that assumption is just pure prejudice. Religions, like other social paradigms, change over time and modern Christianity is extremely diluted. This is due to lot of factors: mostly the commercialization of holidays and new-age thinking. It slowly //is// becoming about being nice and baking cookies. I've been to many Korean churches with friends and I'd say they're little more than social functions. I'm Buddhist and they had no problem sharing their bread and wine with me.

But hey, whatever. I'm not here to change your mind. Kodos already admitted he is judgmental so I'm fine with that.

But yeah, adding on to what Rio said: our fear of showing our beliefs shows how much of social hedgehogs people really are. They are not ready to accept or tolerate anything, but instead choose to be combative or make the assumption that everyone is equally combative, therefore become ideological hermits to "protect" themselves from a nonexistent enemy.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 05-23-2011 at 02:15 PM.