Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 230

Thread: Your Unpopular Opinions

  1. #191
    Fenn
    Guest
    Double post.

  2. #192
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarletlight View Post
    what happens is we again have a fake democracy. Which is why democracy in the form we currently have it will never bring complete equality.
    I'm sorry, but if you think something is 'fake' because it can never accomplish an impossible ideal, then I risk it to say your standards are way too high.


    And, again, I don't see what's wrong with every religion being publicly represented, as long as they're represented equally, or as equally as possible. Of course you can't get someone to fly the Hebrew flag in Church, but you an get them to tolerate it. And the only way to build tolerance is through desensitization, not sheltering. How the hell are we going to get over our hate, contempt or just outright fear of other religions and people if we just harbor those emotions and let them boil? Tolerance comes through education and exposure. This is the same reason that racism still exists in America: fear, sheltering and an unwillingness to learn and accept.

    And Kodos, c'mon, man, srsly. I know you hate the Bible, but hating Christianity because of the Bible is just as ludicrous as you say believing in it is. You are hating a religious demographic based on hearsay and make believe written by 2000 year old monks. Yeah, so God //hypothetically// killed tons of people, so what. It's a story. It's not like Christians these days are going around killing hundreds of people on a whim. Chill out. Yeah, there are some horrible STORIES being told, but that doesn't mean everyone accepts them as truths, adopts them as values and puts said values into practice.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 05-21-2011 at 02:52 PM.

  3. #193
    Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,897
    Your right. Modern day Christians don't believe in Hell. Modern day Christians don't try to pass hateful legislature against homosexuals and women. Modern Christians don't try and turn America into a theocracy. Modern Christians don't wage wars in the Middle East. You're right. I'm sorry. I apologize.

    EDIT: And, of course, modern Christians most certainly do not teach these things to children, causing them to have serious issues regarding their sexuality and guilt. That definitely never happens. There are no young men and women in America being brought up to believe it is a sin to masturbate, or that pre-marital sex is evil. There are no young people in America being taught that their homosexuality or bisexuality - a core part of who they are - is something evil, sick, and diseased. There are no young transpeople in America being taught that they are their genitals and that their feelings and identity are illnesses.

    EDIT 2: And yes, let's represent every single religion equally. I agree. How many religions in America are practiced? This is certainly a feasible and realistic idea. There's no way there are waaay too many religions to make this idea possible. None at all!
    Last edited by Kodos; 05-21-2011 at 03:57 PM.

    Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

  4. #194
    Super Senior Member Delphinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,337
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    I know you hate the Bible, but hating Christianity because of the Bible is just as ludicrous as you say believing in it is.
    Hating a religion based on its holy book? Holy crap, that's almost as illogical as hating the KKK based on their bestselling book "How To Lynch Blacks"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

  5. #195
    Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,897
    Del, just because a group of people define themselves around an ideology, and that ideology is fucking reprehensible, doesn't mean that this group of people are reprehensible. I mean, it's not like they define themselves around that ideology.

    Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

  6. #196
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    Kodos, those things you mentioned above are true of //some// (few, actually) Christians. Delphinus, it's ironic that you bring up the KKK as saying "modern day Christians are all accountable for the actions of extremists and overzealous evangelists" is equally judgmental and absurd. lol. Yes, obviously the average Christian is waging wars in the Middle East, turning America into a theocracy and being hateful towards gays! And apparently gay Christians are a myth, Christians that masturbate are purely hearsay and Christians that engage in pre-marital sex don't exist! Dude, c'mon, srsly.

    Not only are you being extremely judgmental, but you are superimposing things that happened in the Bible (book of make believe) onto random people. Just because it happened in the Bible, every Christian is guilty of believing and condoning it, amirite? Because God murders people, every Christian is okay with murder, right? I think you need to lay off the Psalm 14. You've been in that thread so long that it's going to your head (and why wouldn't it? You basically bait religious people into posting with judgmental and outright insulting topic titles).


    Also, representing every religion wouldn't be all that hard. It's really just dependent on the degree of representation. Of course, we're not going to erect a statue of Jesus in every school hallway. For some people, representing personal ideas and values is as simple as hanging up an ornament or buying a bumper sticker. /shrug

  7. #197
    Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,897
    Not only are you being extremely judgmental, but you are superimposing things that happened in the Bible (book of make believe) onto random people.
    Random people who claim to base their lives around this book. You are an idiot and being deliberately obtuse. I'm not even going to bother addressing anything else you said because this quote right here sums it up perfectly. Disliking Christianity and as a result disliking Christians is in no way, shape, or form random. And yes, I am being judgmental. When I see evil and ignorance, I do not shirk from calling it out.

    Also there are over 4,200 religions off-hand listed on Adherents.org. I'd like to see how a public building can equally honor each and every one of these religions without creating a spending and logistics nightmare. I eagerly await your explanation.

    Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

  8. #198
    Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Elizabeth's Court
    Posts
    5,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Random people who claim to base their lives around this book. You are an idiot and being deliberately obtuse. I'm not even going to bother addressing anything else you said because this quote right here sums it up perfectly. Disliking Christianity and as a result disliking Christians is in no way, shape, or form random. And yes, I am being judgmental. When I see evil and ignorance, I do not shirk from calling it out..
    And you aren't? Cyp is being quite succinct. How many of the millions of Christians in this country follow everything said in the Bible? When was the last time someone was killed in America for handling a pigskin? Hmmm? You can't blame stupid, otherwise sweet people for being controlled by malicious and charismatic individuals.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

  9. #199
    Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Random people who claim to base their lives around this book.
    I guarantee you that most Christians these days don't even bother to read the Bible, lol. None of the Christians I know have read it in its entirety, nevertheless "base their lives" around it. I know a girl who loves God, but also loves gays, different religions and tolerance.

    You are an idiot and being deliberately obtuse.
    Great argument.

    Disliking Christianity and as a result disliking Christians is in no way, shape, or form random.
    Disliking Christians because of the actions of nonexistent characters in an ancient storybook is pretty random. Assuming that all Christians believe and condone these actions is an even greater stretch.

    And yes, I am being judgmental. When I see evil and ignorance, I do not shirk from calling it out.
    Oh, the irony.

    I eagerly await your explanation.
    Being represented is about having your identity acknowledged, which can be as simple as buying a bumper sticker. Also, I doubt there are 42 hundred recognized and formally practiced religions here in the United States.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 05-22-2011 at 03:28 AM.

  10. #200
    Cyp, that ",lol." thing you keep doing is fucking irritating. Please stop it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •