Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Unpopular Opinions

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    For once I agree with you... mostly.
    Having some sort of legally-binding contract seems reasonable, but yeah, I don't think it's acceptable to make that only apply between a man and a woman or necessitate a romantic/sexual connection. Homosexual marriages should also, I feel, be allowed to occur, as should marriages between platonic life friends. Finally, the concept of monoamory is too ingrained in marriage for me, so I also feel people should be allowed to marry as many people as they like.
    Are you talking legally or personally regarding your last point? I'm not well-read in the legal benefits or implications of marriage, but allowing people to secure multiple binding contracts for marriages, hetero or homosexual, seems bound for abuse.

Marry whomever you wish, but I think you should only be allowed one contract. How many people you associate with sexually and romantically is your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Are you talking legally or personally regarding your last point? I'm not well-read in the legal benefits or implications of marriage, but allowing people to secure multiple binding contracts for marriages, hetero or homosexual, seems bound for abuse.

Marry whomever you wish, but I think you should only be allowed one contract. How many people you associate with sexually and romantically is your choice.
    Personally: the benefits you'd gain would be identical to those you'd gain by marrying one person (although I'm not sure having benefits for married couples really serves any purpose other than as a conservative social policy), and in the event of a divorce, shared property would be divided according to the fraction of the estate a person is entitled to. In the case of a marriage involving 3 people, 1 of whom is married to both other people, any participant who got divorced from the central person would take 1/2 of the shared estate between them and the 'centre'. If all three wanted to share property rights equally, they'd have to all be married to one another.

Though this seems excessively complex: you'd probably need to rethink shared property to some extent to simplify the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fenn
    Personally: the benefits you'd gain would be identical to those you'd gain by marrying one person (although I'm not sure having benefits for married couples really serves any purpose other than as a conservative social policy), and in the event of a divorce, shared property would be divided according to the fraction of the estate a person is entitled to. In the case of a marriage involving 3 people, 1 of whom is married to both other people, any participant who got divorced from the central person would take 1/2 of the shared estate between them and the 'centre'. If all three wanted to share property rights equally, they'd have to all be married to one another.

Though this seems excessively complex: you'd probably need to rethink shared property to some extent to simplify the system.
    Yeah I'm not sure how it would work, or why we have benefits in the first place.

Why not just abolish marriage and replace it with civil unions? Marriage is only a word, after all.
    Because it's longer. I hate when words become longer. :/
    One is not 'blind', they're 'visually impaired', not 'disabled' but 'differently able' and so on and so forth. The reason for those is political correctness, but I still don't understand why changing something that works perfectly.

At least for us, in Italy, you have marriages in church and the ones in the municipality - the ones in the church still need to get recognition from the state, which kind of gives the impression that the marriage in the municipality is the legally recognised one.
    That said, I'm not Christian nor I ever believed a piece of paper could make me love my SO more than I do... I'm planning to just put two signatures wherever I have to and then have a BBQ or something with my friends.

BBQ is shorter than marriage, too. I guess it could be a bit confusing to swap the two, though...

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Love just isn't enough to bind I guess.

Oh, no: it certainly is.

I just want a BBQ.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Why have a bbq when you could have a big ass party first......THEN a bbq.
    I hate parties btw.

Well, my unpopular opinion of late is that carrots go really well with peanut butter. Preferably baby carrots and crunchy Kraft/Skippy peanut butter. Most people tend to look down on this wonderful combination of foods. In fact, I've tried peanut butter with raw broccoli and it's very good, too. And let's not forget the classic celery with peanut butter.
    I am so not typing anything interesting...

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Japxican View Post
    Well, my unpopular opinion of late is that carrots go really well with peanut butter. Preferably baby carrots and crunchy Kraft/Skippy peanut butter. Most people tend to look down on this wonderful combination of foods. In fact, I've tried peanut butter with raw broccoli and it's very good, too. And let's not forget the classic celery with peanut butter.
    I'll have to try that. LOVE it with celery.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    I'll have to try that. LOVE it with celery.
    Oh, I recommend it for sure. You're gonna have to let me know what you think of it.
    I am so not typing anything interesting...