Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Unpopular Opinions

I like Nothing Else Matters. That aside, I find their vocals a bit boring. Old bands from the 80's and such--I GENERALLY don't like their vocals. Bon Jovi was an exception. I didn't like the AC/DC stuff with the impossibly high, screechy voices.

Matt you dont like TnT QAQ? not even that?
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

I like it in the same way I like certain Disturbed songs: mood music. If I feel like TnT, I'll listen to TnT, but it's definitely not my favorite. My general taste in music is in clear, unaltered voices (i.e. Celtic Woman, Kamelot) and good melodies (this, depending on your taste, could mean anything from AC/DC to Lady Gaga; for me it's Nightwish, etc.). But, mostly, I use music I don't generally like as background music when I write or draw. If I'm drawing a bunch of gangsters, I'll listen to rap, although I don't like the majority of the stuff.

I did a big search for instrumental AC/DC songs awhile back because I liked their guitar, but not their vocals. I couldn't find any in high quality.

I can't explain a lot of my tastes in music, but I'm working on it. I should read a philosophy about it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi500 View Post
    Cypress, divorce rates are so high now likely because now it's actually possible to get divorced and not look like a societal outcast. Historically speaking, I doubt marriages were happier in the olden days, and if those people had the option to get divorced and not seem disreputable I'm sure our rates would look insignificant.

OT: I don't believe gays should be allowed to get married, but not for the pregidous reasons, but for the same reasons I don't think aethiests should be allowed to marry. Because they do not belong to a religion that utilizes marriage and recognizes homosexual patnership (being gay and christian is such a self-destructive decision I can't comprehend it). I DO believe civil partnerships between any should have the same legal benefits that we give marriage though, and that the differences between marriage and civil union should be in name only.
    A marriage is a legal bond of two humans that provides legitimate advantages to procreation and care of its products, not just a religious thing bro. I'm very excited to marry though I am a devout Sol worshipper (read: atheist) because of the legal benefits that my partner and I will receive for support of each other and the children we intend to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I like it in the same way I like certain Disturbed songs: mood music. If I feel like TnT, I'll listen to TnT, but it's definitely not my favorite. My general taste in music is in clear, unaltered voices (i.e. Celtic Woman, Kamelot) and good melodies (this, depending on your taste, could mean anything from AC/DC to Lady Gaga; for me it's Nightwish, etc.). But, mostly, I use music I don't generally like as background music when I write or draw. If I'm drawing a bunch of gangsters, I'll listen to rap, although I don't like the majority of the stuff.

I did a big search for instrumental AC/DC songs awhile back because I liked their guitar, but not their vocals. I couldn't find any in high quality.

I can't explain a lot of my tastes in music, but I'm working on it. I should read a philosophy about it sometime.
    If you want a clear voice, listen to Metallica's S&M album. In concert James sings very nicely, cleanly and clearly because his voice needs to last for a good 20 songs or so. On albums he can record one song at a time if he so wishes, and using pitch editor they can fix it up so that the inaccuracy of rasping one's voice seems to disappear.
    Last edited by Sylux; 05-06-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    A marriage is a legal bond of two humans that provides legitimate advantages to procreation and care of its products, not just a religious thing bro. I'm very excited to marry though I am a devout Sol worshipper (read: atheist) because of the legal benefits that my partner and I will receive for support of each other and the children we intend to have.
    Not sure you're getting the difference between practicality and ideology. Marriage might be beneficial legally, but in practise it's just legitimised long-term cohabitation. Why should it be treated differently?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Not sure you're getting the difference between practicality and ideology. Marriage might be beneficial legally, but in practise it's just legitimised long-term cohabitation. Why should it be treated differently?
    Differently from what?

From long-term cohabitation. Why should it and marriage be distinct in law?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi500 View Post
    Cypress, divorce rates are so high now likely because now it's actually possible to get divorced and not look like a societal outcast.
    Yeah, I guess our values have changed. But doesn't that just means marriage is taken less seriously nowadays than it was? This, combined with its dismal success rate (which I'm sure that factors into), gives it a bad image. And that just results in a negative feedback loop. People take marriage less seriously, resulting in more divorces, which makes marriage seem even //less// serious, etc, etc.

Historically speaking, I doubt marriages were happier in the olden days.
    I wasn't talking about like the Dark Ages, dude. I was talking about recently, comparing figures under nigh identical social and legal conditions. The divorce rate was "4,539 per 100,000 for males and 6,577 per 100,000 for females" around the '80s. It is now "9,255 per 100,000 and 12,305 per 100,000 for women."

I don't believe gays should be allowed to get married...Because they do not belong to a religion that utilizes marriage.
    Marriage was never a religious thing to begin with. Hell, back during its origins, marriage was little more than prostitution that lasted forever.

From long-term cohabitation. Why should it and marriage be distinct in law?
    Because it is the choice of the couple to make their partnership legally binding. It's not unlike taking your backyard lemonade stand and making it into a real business. Once you sign that contract, you are held accountable for your partner forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Because it is the choice of the couple to make their partnership legally binding. It's not unlike taking your backyard lemonade stand and making it into a real business. Once you sign that contract, you are held accountable for your partner forever.
    For once I agree with you... mostly.
    Having some sort of legally-binding contract seems reasonable, but yeah, I don't think it's acceptable to make that only apply between a man and a woman or necessitate a romantic/sexual connection. Homosexual marriages should also, I feel, be allowed to occur, as should marriages between platonic life friends. Finally, the concept of monoamory is too ingrained in marriage for me, so I also feel people should be allowed to marry as many people as they like.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Finally, the concept of monoamory is too ingrained in marriage for me, so I also feel people should be allowed to marry as many people as they like.
    I agree here as well.