Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Unpopular Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Drinking alcohol is lame. What is the point? You WANT to get drunk off your ass? Why? It helps you relax but what does that get you? You are just more likely to fuck up now.

Smoking weed is addictive. Maybe not the way nicotine is addictive but people still become dependent upon it. I've seen plenty of people just act like they are going to have a seizure because they need a joint. Plenty of people admit that they can not go a day without it.
    Drinking is okay IMO; It's the peer presure to get totally shitfaced which sucks. People will pester you to drink if you don't... Does help with job interviews, through, anyway. XD

As for weed, yeah. My best freind in high school was totally rampant on the stuff, and his brain slowed down to turtle speeds by the end of the last term. What people ingest is none of my buisness, but does weed affect your brain? Of course it friggin does. >_>

Did people land on the moon? Why is that even a conspiracy theory? You telling me they built a whole ton of these giant rockets and shot them into space infront of thousands of people, then didn't go THEN? Once you are in space it takes less fuel to get to Mars than it does to put a rocket in orbit. Orbit is the hard bit. If another person says "but what if it was just a media hoax?" to me, I'll lay asian abrasions on them. *_*

All of my opinions are unpopular. I've just learned to sell them well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    I seem to be the only one who prefers soft drinks(soda) to alcohol when given the option. I also don't see the point in weed, but thats probably because it doesn't really do anything for me other than make me giggle rather than laugh.

Fenn
    Hold on, isn't that the exact opposite?
    How? Are you saying always get angry? Because that's exactly what they want. Whether you end up kicking the crap out of them or not, they won.

If you kick the crap out of them they have generally lost.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Fenn, two things wrong with your theory:

1.) You already lost by putting yourself under the assumption that they are control of anything. There is nothing to support the fact that they are in control. In truth, if you get angry it's because you CHOOSE to get angry. If you get upset it's because you CHOOSE to get upset. You are empowering your tormentors way too much by assuming that's what they want.

2.) By suppressing your own emotions out of FEAR of granting your opponent gratification, you are letting them control your emotions. Lying to yourself to put up a tough front before your bullies is the only way in which you could ever let them control you because you are letting them limit which emotions you can practice. Being honest with yourself and behaving in a manner that suits you (even if it entails bawling your eyes out) shows that you are in control of your own emotions.

In fact, you actually kind of put your bullies on a pedestal there by assuming you somehow have to impress them or meet a standard that they indirectly set.

Besides, it's only natural to respond to distressful situations with distress. I dunno why that's such a big deal these days. Apathy is the new cool all of a sudden? And the biggest crime is assuming there's something wrong with the way //you// think as opposed to something wrong with the way your bullies think. Don't limit yourself to conform to some twisted bully mentality. You already know they're in the wrong, so why let them write the rules?
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 04-24-2011 at 03:24 PM.

My life is a unpopular opinion

JAJA

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Verbal abuse should never be met with a negative reply, regardless of whether you feel you are justified. Either laugh or ignore it. Responding to it with anger or sadness is basically saying "I give you the power to determine my emotions."
    Never tell this to your children. It will ruin their childhood if they take your advice. I speak from personal experience.
    The best way to deal with verbal abuse is to act cool and cut those motherfuckers down at the same time. The more they have a go at you with you cracking jokes at their expense the more awesome you look and the worse they look. Case in point: This one girl in my class hates me for no reason. I'm all "yeah, she wants me really" or "sorry about the divorce but I needed my freedom", she keeps having a go, everyone defends me for being awesome, she shuts up. I rule.

One of my unpopular opinions: I think people who whine need to have a pole shoved up their rear ends, no matter how justified they are. Seriously, it's just egotistic and nobody needs to hear that shit. If you have a problem, solve it instead of bitching and whining like some stupid kid.

Don't limit yourself to conform to some twisted bully mentality. You already know they're in the wrong, so why let them write the rules?
    Lolwut. Most kids who get bullied deserve it for making themselves easy targets. Natural selection in practice, baby.

My attitude to potential bullies used to be the same as every other nerdy kid, but now I realise ignoring them is just as bad as going all rabid on their arses. Acting like you don't give a crap doesn't work because your typical nerdy introvert doesn't know how to effectively not care - the only way to stop bullies is to grow some balls (even if you're female ) and have some self-confidence. I think the last time I was insulted my reaction was less "I am not ugly!" and more "Lol, she thinks she can insult me and get away with it. Prepare to get pwned, fool."
    Last edited by Delphinus; 04-24-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Fenn, two things wrong with your theory:

1.) You already lost by putting yourself under the assumption that they are control of anything. There is nothing to support the fact that they are in control. In truth, if you get angry it's because you CHOOSE to get angry. If you get upset it's because you CHOOSE to get upset. You are empowering your tormentors way too much by assuming that's what they want.

2.) By suppressing your own emotions out of FEAR of granting your opponent gratification, you are letting them control your emotions. Lying to yourself to put up a tough front before your bullies is the only way in which you could ever let them control you because you are letting them limit which emotions you can practice. Being honest with yourself and behaving in a manner that suits you (even if it entails bawling your eyes out) shows that you are in control of your own emotions.

In fact, you actually kind of put your bullies on a pedestal there by assuming you somehow have to impress them or meet a standard that they indirectly set.

Besides, it's only natural to respond to distressful situations with distress. I dunno why that's such a big deal these days. Apathy is the new cool all of a sudden? And the biggest crime is assuming there's something wrong with the way //you// think as opposed to something wrong with the way your bullies think. Don't limit yourself to conform to some twisted bully mentality. You already know they're in the wrong, so why let them write the rules?
    Mostly because of the results of both. Let's say you act naturally and get very angry. They keep egging you on, and you punch them in the face. The result? Depends on the situation, but if it's in a public area you risk legal implications. Crying, if you choose that route, is less dangerous and probably a safe reaction, but it isn't going to help the matter.

In the end, I'm not suggesting stifling your reaction but reacting appropriately. I think of three things whenever verbally abused (in the following order:

1. Do they know me or the situation at hand? If no, who cares? They know nothing, and their opionion is 100% worthless. They are obviously trying to start a conflict. If yes...

2. Is the comment true? If no, then they're wrong! Let them keep making a fool of themself, or turn it into a joke. If it's not true why should I be hurt? If yes...

3. Is it a bad thing? If no, then it doesn't matter. Sometimes an insult isn't an insult at all. "Haha, you like anime you loser! Go play more Pokemon!" is an ignorant comment because there is nothing wrong with likeing anime or Pokemon. I usually calmly explain this, and if they won't let up leave them at it.

If yes...then a reaction could be justified. If someone is making fun of your brother who just died, I wouldn't criticize the victim for anything they do, crying or fighting. But my point is most insults are childish, ignorant, and downright inaccurate, and the only reason they become distressed situations is because society implies we should feel angry when verbally abused. So while your natural reaction is to be mad, does it make any logical sense to react that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Never tell this to your children. It will ruin their childhood if they take your advice. I speak from personal experience.
    The best way to deal with verbal abuse is to act cool and cut those motherfuckers down at the same time. The more they have a go at you with you cracking jokes at their expense the more awesome you look and the worse they look. Case in point: This one girl in my class hates me for no reason. I'm all "yeah, she wants me really" or "sorry about the divorce but I needed my freedom", she keeps having a go, everyone defends me for being awesome, she shuts up. I rule.
    Wait, isn't that what I was saying, just more concise? To clarify, I included "laugh" because not all bullies can be ignored. A reply is often required, even if I didn't say it outright. That's in reply to Cypress too.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdooperphailmachine View Post
    If you kick the crap out of them they have generally lost.
    Not after they pull you into court...
    Last edited by Fenn; 04-24-2011 at 04:43 PM.

I'm gonna stay away from political and religious stuff, because that will definitely start a hate war. So, those aside, my other unpopular opinions:

Most female movie stars, despite their age, are not hot. The most beautiful/cute girl I've ever seen in a movie was actually the guy's daughter in the end of Inception. Philipa, I think. Dunno the real girl's name.

Makeup rarely makes girls look better.

Football is not interesting.

Wearing your pants at your knees is not cool.

The police are not ignorant ***holes who don't understand you/your situation/your family/etc.

Linkin Park does not suck (though their new album did).

A little thing I should add here: I don't think you have to be able to justify every last one of your opinions. I mean, if you read a book and love it, but your friend hates it, does either of you have the right to say the other is wrong? Or with music. One guy hates a band, his friend loves them. Does either of them--or anyone, for that matter--have the right to dis on them? Does someone know exactly why he likes FPS games more than RPGs? Does a foot fetishist know why he has a foot fetish?

And . . .

Not after they pull you into court...
    America is way too lawsuit-happy. That's actually a pretty popular opinion, though.