Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Indie Game Developer Resource List

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Here is a tutorial on how to use excel as a basic map editor for tile based games. Very useful for people making TBS's and such:

http://www.create-games.com/article.asp?id=2260

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Good stuff you guys! I'll try to update the list tonight. We'll see if it accepts the massive amounts of links I'll be adding... <_<;

UDK is Unreal Engine 3. Free for commercial use until the devs make more than $50,000. You can also make custom Unreal Tournament 3 maps.

the deluxe version of UT3 also had the official UT Engine and Map editor as well I do believe. I could be wrong though.
    For every two minutes of glamour, there are eight hours of hard work."

I had UT3 till I lost the CD and had to wipe my hard drive. The editor did come with it, as far as I remember. I didn't play around with it much in my UT3 days.

Was it the full UDK or just a map editor? That, I can't remember.

2012 Update - It's ALIVE!

Finally doing some updates to this list. On to the new stuff:

Art
    Alchemy - FREE open drawing project to be used for sketches and the initial creation process rather than finished art works
    CG Textures - FREE textures for commercial use; see license for full details.
    Mixamo - 3D character animation in seconds; royalty-free, online service; can be used once (single animation) of a price range of $10-$150USD or under a subscription service from $29.99/mo up to $299.99/mo.
    Photoshop Animation to Sprite Sheet - FREE
    Sprite Master - $9.99USD

Music
    FL Studio - compose, arrange, record, edit, mix and master music; $20USD - $400 depending on the version and features you get

Legal Matters
    Answers on Startups

Time Management
    Pivotal Tracker - project management tool; $7USD/mo with three collaborators up to $175/mo for 50 collaborators. FREE for public projects, individuals, non-profits and academic institutions.
    Trello - FREE task organizer/project management tool; can be used singly or with a group

Game Building
    wyBuild - automatic updating and patch maker, $249 USD but sale is $69.99 if you see it; comes with FREE wyUpdate - an open source updater program for Windows
    wyUpdate - FREE open source updater program for Windows
    xNormal - generate normal/ ambient occlusion/ displacement maps among other things; FREE for commercial or non-commercial use

Getting Paid
    Wordpress Donations Cloud - FREE

QuHelp - FREE html-based online help manual generator

------------------------------------
    NOTE:
    I will be working on making a new main list. The last two updates have not been posting properly. :\
    -------------------------------------

Indie loop garden

Awesome work Rio! Really impressed how you got all of this together Can I suggest www.indieloopgarden.com as a resource for music? Its not a download site but a new place you can commission original music soundtracks. The site includes composers of games like Fez and Aiko Island all collected together in one place.

A list like this is going to be really useful for developers. Have you thought about giving it its own URL? I'd donate

Thanks!

Hey, nice site suggestion! I'll add it on once I accumulate a good amount of links once more. As for making an independent site listing all of these links... hmmm, I've never thought about it but I'll consider it. C:

Btw, ever been to the Indiegamer forum? I would really suggest you mention your (is it yours?) site there if you haven't already. Most indie devs hang out there (at least, those who are known to make and sell indie games).

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Hey, nice site suggestion! I'll add it on once I accumulate a good amount of links once more. As for making an independent site listing all of these links... hmmm, I've never thought about it but I'll consider it. C:

Btw, ever been to the Indiegamer forum? I would really suggest you mention your (is it yours?) site there if you haven't already. Most indie devs hang out there (at least, those who are known to make and sell indie games).

Thanks, yes its my site I'll take a look at indigamer this afternoon! As you hinted, It's definitely going to be important to find the right kind of indie dev – one who actually has a budget for custom sound (but just doesn't know where to look yet). I guess there's a place for stock libraries/free music too (Braid is a brilliant example) but my hunch is many would rather pay a bit more for something equivalent in quality to the indie game music bundle that can actually be a marketing asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    UDK is Unreal Engine 3. Free for commercial use until the devs make more than $50,000. You can also make custom Unreal Tournament 3 maps.
    Unreal Development Kit isn't really the best choice of rendering engine. Your best bet is to find another indie game company/small-scale game company with significant success, like Frictional, and ask them if you can use their engine. Jaidurn and I plan to use their library and physics engine for our horror game.