Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

I was gonna make a comment about what I was doing to get into the game industry, but then I played Small Worlds.

I know there's a line between "art" games and "entertainment" games, and that this one is definitely on the "art" side, but this is the first time I've played of its type, and now I want to make games like this. I like my CoDs, but games can be so much more. My most philosophical design documents and, indeed, Small Worlds, have probably only scratched the surface.

*Looks at half-read programming books*

Down to business!

*Looks at clock*

Tomorrow.

I HATE sculpting hard edge stuff. I mean, modeling it is easy, yeah, but sculpting gives it a special touch and depth you can't get from the easy way. So why is it so damn hard?! I'm seriously considering getting 3DS Max again to set up base meshes so I don't have such a hard damn time with zsketching. @_@

does anyone here use XNA to make games?

I tried but I could never sync it up to my xbox

i havnt tried setting it up to my xbox yet because you have to pay in order to put it on your xbox :/ its like $90 a year, i just check the controls work using a wired controller

Yeah that was the issue. So you aren't able to test it on the console at all?

It's the same thing with Apple products. You can make games and apps for your iWhatever, but you need to pay a yearly fee to actually test it. Of course, that's assuming you don't jailbreak the thing.

Do they make you do that with the PS3 and Wii as well? It wouldn't be any problem for corporations, but indie developers, especially those of use with very little income, are pretty much screwed if we wanna make games for anything other than PC.

i dont think you can use it on your xbox unless you subscribe, but i wanted to use XNA for windows phones as well :/ and for that its free i think, at least testing is because you can get a phone emulator

You'll probably need a subscription to the creators club (or whatever it is they call it now) in order to get your program on the marketplace and on to the actual devices. As for testing your XBOX program on the PC, be wary as performance on the PC is likely to be higher than on the XBOX (due to limited memory and the face that the architecture of the X360 was never meant to support CLR/C# program design)

And yeah, I did (and still do) work with XNA a bit. As a matter of fact, I just went through some unfinished code I wrote like half a year ago and I did not like what I found.

Fenn
    Random idea: Advanced Wars TPS. 100 vs 100.

I'll let everyone criticize it then explain how I'd get it to work.