Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

Okay now you're just insulting my intelligence.

Fenn
    Dude you have no idea how often simple concepts like that slip my mind until i get to that stage in development.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Hmm. Sounds like we're getting awfully close to megaman formula.

Im thinking megaman meets demon's souls here.

That'd be cool. Or at least it sounds cool.

Okay how about this.

A platformer with no combat and a massive sandbox world. The aim is to find out about the world, and to extend the player's skills. The skills would be stuff like gymnastics, climbing etc. and would be upgraded by reaching different points to collect appropriate 'badges'. For example getting to the top of a high mountain could earn you double-jump. The player could equip certain badges to gain new abilities such as double jump, wall jump, infinite climbing, or extended underwater breathing and would use the badges in combination to reach new areas. The player would only be able to equip a limited number of badges at any given time. By exploring temples and things that are scattered around the game world, the player could find out about the backstory; the backstory basically works as the reward for the player's efforts.

So basically, a MetroidVania game without enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Okay how about this.

A platformer with no combat and a massive sandbox world. The aim is to find out about the world, and to extend the player's skills. The skills would be stuff like gymnastics, climbing etc. and would be upgraded by reaching different points to collect appropriate 'badges'. For example getting to the top of a high mountain could earn you double-jump. The player could equip certain badges to gain new abilities such as double jump, wall jump, infinite climbing, or extended underwater breathing and would use the badges in combination to reach new areas. The player would only be able to equip a limited number of badges at any given time. By exploring temples and things that are scattered around the game world, the player could find out about the backstory; the backstory basically works as the reward for the player's efforts.

So basically, a MetroidVania game without enemies.
    You have no idea how often I've dreamed about this kind of game! If I was designing this game, I'd also make breaking the fourth wall a theme and plot device, but that's just me.

Also, if it's a 3D platformer, I'd love to see an MMO like this. Different classes have different mobility abilities and teamwork-based skills, which promotes finding a well-balanced team to explore the world. If it's an MMO that also means the devs can program an ever-changing, persistent world where new areas are always appearing. You could do community challenges too.

I'd love this type of game.

According to Fenn everything I think of is solid gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Sounds like it'd be fun for an hour or so.

Check out Small Worlds.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Or Endeavor, which is exactly like that except without a sandbox aspect.

Actually...where is the sandbox aspect to that idea? o_o