Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

Yeah something like that except with less flopping around and more pashoooom boom atatatatata
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

We're using Unity for my university game project. Its pretty easy to use

Updated lighting algorithm to a less recursive one, meaning it uses far less memory and runs far faster. Unfortunately, it also makes line-of-sight and shadow programming quite a lot more complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

All of those feels when you make a game that looks like crap, but it's actually p. fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conversation
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE YO KIDS
    Sylux: WHAT ABOOT MY WIFE?
    Seefy: QUICK HIDE JAI

LITU bb

Best lighting algorithm so far, no recursion at all. Still a couple of minor glitches, and I should probably add a directional lighting component, but here it is in action.

EDIT: This game is going to be a totally freeware and open-source release. It's a zombie-themed roguelike, and the lighting is important because zombies come back to life in darkness after a certain period of time, and gain health when they're in deep darkness. There are also day/night cycles - unlike a typical roguelike, this is set in a skyscraper which you climb up. Light shines in through the windows during the day, meaning daytime is a safe time to explore and loot each floor. Zombies try to hide from the light and get stat penalties if they enter an area that's particularly bright, which get heavier the brighter the light is. In the brightest sunlight they lose health. So it's in the player's best interests to try and light up each floor as much as possible.

At night any zombies not in a bright area will be reborn, along with any ordinary corpses that aren't in light. There's no way you'll be able to kill all the zombies on a single floor without daylight, so instead you should try to barricade yourself inside a well-lit and/or corpse-free room until daylight comes. Low-level zombies won't bother attacking barricades, but the more powerful the zombie the more likely they are to attempt to break in. You can build traps to defend yourself from these incoming zombies. The cleverest zombies won't just attack barricades, they'll smash lights, block up windows, and set traps for the player. Some zombies can use firearms, most can't.

You'll also be able to smash windows and do things like throw zombie corpses out them. But if like a douchebag you start flinging ALL the zombie corpses out the window, you'll get a nasty surprise, probably in the form of an increased chance of a special boss on the next floor. That special miniboss will be a mushed-up horrific combination of all the zombies you've thrown out the window so far, and its strength will be related to the number of zombies you've defenestrated.

EDIT2: I'm pretty amazed by how quickly C++ runs relative to scripting languages. This messes around with memory so much that it shouldn't be so quick to generate and print.

EDIT3: Added the beginnings of interactivity to the game, letting me move the camera around the level with the keypad. Made two major optimisations, greatly reducing CPU consumption on screen redraws.

EDIT4: Coloured lighting! No blending between colours yet, so it looks a bit goofy when two different colours meet, but here's a 'dead of night' screen.

EDIT5: Looks like light blending is impossible to do with my current lighting system. I'm going to reprogram the lighting system completely to make it possible, which means losing quite a lot of code. Totally worth it though.

EDIT6: My game is on acid. What the fuck.

EDIT7: Resolved the above lighting issues. Remember kids, always nest your statements correctly!

Last edited by Delphinus; 06-04-2012 at 04:19 AM.

Three months down the line: I had to discontinue the Zombie Roguelike because of issues with the structure of the program. Everything worked up until I tried to add certain commands, and I'm going to have to restructure the program to fix that problem (meaning rewriting all the class definitions and some of the functions).

With that in mind, is this a good way to structure a program? I would have a single 'Master' object which contains all the main commands of the game, and stores the data for the game (individual enemy objects, the current map, etc.) in a series of structs within this object. It would also store arrays for a number of generic types (let's say EnemyType, ItemType etc.). Each instance in the array would be a different type of enemy or object descended from the base Type class. Then when I need to do something I pass the Struct of the individual instance to the Object representing that object's type. So let's say I have three rats on the map. rat01 gets passed to the ratClass object each round for its OnRound function, and the OnRound function of ratClass tells rat01 that it needs to move up. I do a few checks with the current map, then move rat01 up by decreasing Enemy[0].y by one.

Idk if there are any programmers with experience structuring programs here, but if you can help it'd be nice.

Hey guys, I was talking complete crap in my last post! While better program structure might help me, the problem I was having was due to recursive header inclusion, not program structure, and was solved fairly quickly and easily through forward declaration.

This is awesome news for me, because I now have a powerful laptop and the ability to continue development on the game. If you're really lucky you may even get to play it before christmas.

Ying Yang Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Hey guys, I was talking complete crap in my last post! While better program structure might help me, the problem I was having was due to recursive header inclusion, not program structure, and was solved fairly quickly and easily through forward declaration.

This is awesome news for me, because I now have a powerful laptop and the ability to continue development on the game. If you're really lucky you may even get to play it before christmas.
    Just read through you're most recent logs above, sounds really cool, as well as very educational for your programming experience.

As it turns out I don't need to restructure my code, but I probably should. I'm kinda starting to clog up this thread with my posts - would anyone read a progress log if I made posts say once a week?