Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Both of you shutup and make me a blockbuster top selling FPS.

No but we will make you a cool horror game demo

After December 13, I'm going to start a exploration of this media. I haven bee watching, reading chatting, almost 90% about games (mechanics, design, story, etc), and now I feel motivated to go deeper in this research of information and start looking softwares and others.

I do have ideas of what I would do (another reason about my excitement), but first I really need to play with the softwares and get use to them.

Also all this Jubeh's fault.

Owned

@Fenn - Head over to the Escapist. Just once. About 99% of the users there have "practical" ideas that go against the grain of mainstream FPS titles and token RPG element space marines and everything they know comes from Yahtzee Croshaw.

Also, I'm not sure "practical" is the right word for your ideas:

1. Concerned with actual use or practice
    2. Guided by practical experience and observation rather than theory
    3. Being actually such in almost every respect
    4. Having or put to a practical purpose or use

If they're going against what already works and sells. I'd say avant-garde or risk-taking. You've got ideas and theories that you've never put into practice whereas large devs have years upon years of experience selling CoD clones. You could argue that they stick to those formulas because they couldn't take a cut in sales if a new, fresh idea didn't sell as well as the old stuff, and you'd probably be right. Nonetheless, until something changes in the industry, "practical" will mean CoD and Halo and their clones.

I'm not saying any of that in a derogatory sense. I couldn't, or I'd be insulting myself, as I want to see the same things in games as you do. Heck, my five favorite games of all time are ones that broke away from the formula or at least added something awesome to it (Bastion, Bioshock, Minecraft, Overgrowth, Recettear).

All my favorite games involve child abuse. Earthbound, no more heroes, street fighter, etc.

In Postal 2, you could abuse multiple Gary Colemans, the only mortal child I've ever seen in an open-world game.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    @Fenn - Head over to the Escapist. Just once. About 99% of the users there have "practical" ideas that go against the grain of mainstream FPS titles and token RPG element space marines and everything they know comes from Yahtzee Croshaw.

Also, I'm not sure "practical" is the right word for your ideas:

1. Concerned with actual use or practice
    2. Guided by practical experience and observation rather than theory
    3. Being actually such in almost every respect
    4. Having or put to a practical purpose or use

If they're going against what already works and sells. I'd say avant-garde or risk-taking. You've got ideas and theories that you've never put into practice whereas large devs have years upon years of experience selling CoD clones. You could argue that they stick to those formulas because they couldn't take a cut in sales if a new, fresh idea didn't sell as well as the old stuff, and you'd probably be right. Nonetheless, until something changes in the industry, "practical" will mean CoD and Halo and their clones.

I'm not saying any of that in a derogatory sense. I couldn't, or I'd be insulting myself, as I want to see the same things in games as you do. Heck, my five favorite games of all time are ones that broke away from the formula or at least added something awesome to it (Bastion, Bioshock, Minecraft, Overgrowth, Recettear).
    Well, I'll admit I have 0 experience in the game production field. But I do have the valuable perspective of a consumer, and more than that a consumer who actively observes the opinions and desires of other gamers/consumers. My ideas usually stem from a common issue gamers have with a certain genre.

Am I overselling myself? Hell yeah, it's the internet after all.

Listening to what consumers wanted created twilight princess.

Giving fuck all what people had to say is what created skyward sword which is like the best game of all time yeah I said it.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Listening to what consumers wanted created twilight princess.

Giving fuck all what people had to say is what created skyward sword which is like the best game of all time yeah I said it.
    Depends on the genre, but of course just building based on fan demand is domed to fail. It's a balance between (A) creating what you believe is best for the game, (B) considering what gamers say they want, and (B) knowing what gamers will actually appreciate. You also can't adhere to a single section of the fanbase.