Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Developers Thread

It seems we agree on most things then.

Just so you know, you generally won't need to send any graphics data to the server except for the possible customisation scheme, which you would do at the beginning of the match.

So what were you going to build this on? GM?

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    It seems we agree on most things then.

Just so you know, you generally won't need to send any graphics data to the server except for the possible customisation scheme, which you would do at the beginning of the match.

So what were you going to build this on? GM?
    Yes. In fact I've uploaded a tiny test room if you want to see how the controls would function: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/1...hooter-concept

Before I go online with it, I'm also gonna program a single player mode with AI.

I would highly, highly, recommend writing the game to be multiplayer first and foremost, and write single player as a special case - one where the player either is the only thing connected to the server or where the player also runs the server at the same time.

Also, if you haven't looked into the Unity Engine, I'd seriously recommend it. It has some very nice high-level multiplayer stuff and graphically it looks better than Game Maker. The downside is that it's harder to use, but hey.

Higher quality always always always beats easier to make.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    I would highly, highly, recommend writing the game to be multiplayer first and foremost, and write single player as a special case - one where the player either is the only thing connected to the server or where the player also runs the server at the same time.

Also, if you haven't looked into the Unity Engine, I'd seriously recommend it. It has some very nice high-level multiplayer stuff and graphically it looks better than Game Maker. The downside is that it's harder to use, but hey.
    In a sense, that's what I'm gonna do; create it with multiplayer in mind but program bots to fill the void for offline, etc.

And I'm gonna stick with GM. But I'll look at Unity, maybe I'll change my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    And I'm gonna stick with GM. But I'll look at Unity, maybe I'll change my mind...
    Unity. Believe me i know GM is nice, but Unity is probably THE best Engine out atm. I used both GameMaker and Unity, and Unity is just unmatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellblaze123 View Post
    Believe me i know GM is nice, but CryEngine 3 is probably THE best Engine out atm.
    FTFY

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellblaze123 View Post
    Unity. Believe me i know GM is nice, but Unity is probably THE best Engine out atm. I used both GameMaker and Unity, and Unity is just unmatched.
    So the basic version is free, eh? But will I be able to do as much as GM? No way in hell I'm shelling out $1500 to make an amateur arcade shooter.

There's also the Unreal engine--completely free till your profits exceed $50,000 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    But will I be able to do as much as GM?
    Hahaha what